Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Narcissistic Elderly Mother - the guilt especially at Xmas  (Read 10158 times)

Lady Daviot

Narcissistic Elderly Mother - the guilt especially at Xmas
« on: December 23, 2017, 06:04:55 PM »

Hi all, my family and I face yet another protential Xmas being ruined by the strops thrown by my demenading elderly mother who is on her own. Since a child, all I have ever wanted to do was please her and I feel that I have gone out of my way as an only child to please her. Over the years I have supported her emotionally even to the detriment to my own health and the £££ that I have spent doing nice things for her is staggering. But as I approach with my husband and young daughter a time we should be spending on being happy with loads of events and special trips planned around the Narricenst, then she throws a stupid strop to create friction and behave like a child. I am sad once more and anxious as I don't want her to spend Xmas alone but clearly this is what she wants to happen so all the rest of our extended family have pity on her and I am the bad daughter once more. I have tried to get her counselling and she was advised by the GP to try some AD's but would not take them. I am determined that as I go into 2018 that things have to change as it is not healthy and my young daughter tells me that Grannie tells her she must have a horrid life with me!. My mother always wants me to either stay at hers or she decamps to ours for weeks on end. If we plan any family time we are made to feel guilty. Sorry for the rant, maybe I just need to vent and I only wished that I had had some counselling for myself, a goal for 2018.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Narcissistic Elderly Mother - the guilt especially at Xmas
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 07:13:12 PM »

Mine is the same.  It takes some getting my head round at times.  Me, me, me ....... but she is subtle.  No one else sees how she is!

I've read a book recently 'living with toxic people' I think it's called.  Get into the mindset that she can't help it.  Something to do with how your Mum was raised, that she was never challenged or if she was, that other people stood down rather thank standing their ground against her.  So 'bad habits' become engrained.

So: your Mother is alone at C.mas.  So what.  You were 'given away' to the man you married ;-).  No longer your Mother's responsibility.  OK so our parents age and may require more care, but it isn't up to us to take on their needs.  In the New Year put together a list of local agencies close to your mother and being making notes.    Day Centres.  WI. Church Groups.  Offer them up and if she says 'no', tell her that "You are a Big Girl Now so are perfectly capable of making your own entertainment."

What does your husband suggest that you do in order to avoid as much stress as possible?  I had to take a large step back but I have 2 hour journey so can put some distance between us.

Why tell your Mother your plans?  Maybe make a decision that as from 1 Jan., you, your husband, child and friends will do stuff without your Mother 'needing' to know?  It took me a few years to realise that actually, my parents no longer had 'rights' to what I did, who I saw, where we went  ::)

Does your Mother have a key to your property, if so, change the locks pronto!  Your House, Your Rules.  You don't have to give any reasons, other than explaining that your security was compromised.  End of conversation. It's about mind set which takes a while to kick in.

As we go back to the parental 'home' many of us go back to being children again.  Certainly it happens to me as I slip back into the routine under that roof.  Even though Mum no longer lives there, we stick to her routines  ::)

What are the Plans that have been jeopardised?   Maybe tell your Mother that you all have a 'bug' ;-) and that you will be in touch mid-January.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 08:29:25 PM »

Lady Daviot
I can really relate to your dilemma. You are the one that needs counselling to help you find a way forward to release you from her controlling ways.
There will be strategies you can deploy but it's difficult without find these without some independent help.
I had counselling for a year and I actually detached myself as much as possible from my mother for quite some time  - I took control and she gradually had to learn to be more cooperative and appreciative. You mustn't care what others think and you do need to keep your daughter away from her if your mother belittles you. If your daughter is old enough to understand, then you need to talk to her about this issue so your mother can't create a rift.
Your mother controls things cause you allow her to - I did the same for many years - you can change this. DG x

Lady Daviot

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 06:13:21 AM »

Thanks to you all for your comments and advise, your are completely right and I need to grow up too as I have been letting her get away with this most of the time for a quiet life and because she is getting older. My husband is raging about her behaviour and only holds back because I ask him too. I had already looked at counselling for myself as when I tackle or try to help my mum with clubs/counselling etc she is not interested, it's like nothing I can do is good enough or helpful. I do think she is depressed but I also think she is bitter about life and generally she does not have a good thing to say about anybody. Thank you guys so much for being an ear. Merry Xmas to you all when it comes xxx

walkingthedog

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 08:54:51 AM »

Lady daviot
I completely agree with the other comments. Read my previous posts this time last year in private lives.
My mind set now with my narcissistic mum and mum in law is let them be like that, me stressing out won't make any difference, so now I just do what I need to do for me and they either fit in or lump it! It's taken me a lifetime to arrive where I am and I'm hanging onto it.
Take care
Xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 12:21:29 PM »

walkingthedog - I think I remember your posts last year - good to hear you have taken control back.
My mother is very different now - she still has her bitter rants but since we moved her nearer, so now with 3 of her children near by, between us we can control her better - she can't vie one against the other because we liaise and find out what's really going on - it's a vicious circle of bitterness and resentment that allows them to carry on behaving like spoilt little toddlers.  Ignoring the bad behaviour is the best way.  DG x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 02:14:36 PM »

I thought about you a lot in the last few days  ::)

Mine is now in a Care Home and is already fixated on 'stuff'.  Like a new resident who calls out a lot ........ "She shouldn't be here disturbing others!"  well Mum, this isn't your home now and like X, you are a resident.  This is not a nursing home so the Staff will encourage you to dress yourself etc. "But they are bullying me dear or they ignore me completely". 

When we went into the Day Room on C.mas morning her attitude changed to bright and smilie at the click of fingers  :-\

How did *U* get on?  They are where they are from years of practice and from years of others complying, because those who don't live in the situation can't possibly imagine the manipulation etc. that goes on.  I decided years ago that my Husband COMES FIRST and God, does Mum not like that from me  ;D.  She wants me to be worried about her - nope, once I leave her that's it ....... she has plenty of people around to help if necessary.

This weekend it's been "I'm going to jump in the river" because she can't get issues sorted ....... so I opened the French doors and suggested that "It's raining so I owiuldn't bother this morning, it's too wet".  Himself got it ;-).  We are unable to change them, it's about being 1 step ahead and not falling into their habits!!

Hints anyone, on a Postcard please  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 02:17:02 PM »

Also - you are SO NOT a bad daughter ! 

Remember: if 20 people are in the same room at the same time as an incidence, each will remember what happened completely differently!

So - you know how your Mother affects you.  Regardless of her age, let her go.  Stick to 1 phone call a week and have an excuse if she rings more often.  Change the locks.  She doesn't need to know or tell her that security has been compromised, you can also say that the Insurance Company has restrictions on how is allowed the keys ...........

It's about being prepared!

Linde Carr

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 05:57:35 PM »

Please please don't beat yourself up. I am 67 now and my whole life my mother ruled the roost. Recently I read a book by Terri Apter called Difficult Mothers and I wish it had been written when I was young. I recommend it to everyone as it unlocked the guilt for me which I carried long after my mother was gone . I feel sad when I read that others have gone through these things and the scars stay with us for along long time. I still don't understand why people who are supposed to unconditionally love us do these things.

LucyLoo

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 10:06:03 AM »

Hi Lady Davlot, just wanted to say I really empathise. My difficult relationship with my Mum when I was growing up has effected so many other relationships in my life, especially those with female friends.  I spent my childhood constantly trying to please my Mum, not understanding she suffers from depression and mood swings, and always feeling her dark moods when she wouldn't speak to me for days were my fault. I ended up being a door mat with friends, constantly trying to please them and putting my needs last, as that's the way I thought I should be. I'm now better than I was and my Mum is better with me - I think because we don't live near each other it's easier - but if I get the slightest hint of her being in a bad mood with me, I feel so anxious and sick. I still tread on eggshells around her and do everything I can to please her to avoid her getting upset. I don't want to show my children the way I'm behaving though - I want them to have the self esteem and self confidence I lack. It is incredibly difficult to overcome habits engrained in childhood though. I am worried about what will happen when she's older, I think she will outlive my Dad and I'm sure she'll constantly make me feel guilty if I don't visit enough. I have just looked up the books Linde recommended (Difficult Mothers by Terri Apter) and it looks very helpful - I'm going to order it now, thanks for recommending it x 

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 01:10:43 PM »

LucyLoo - stop enabling your mother!  Not easy to step back.  If I heard raised voices when Mum was in her house, i.e. when she talked loudly to Himself whilst I was in the bath above the kitchen ........ my gut would tense.  Even after all these years, we married in the 1970s and moved Well Away.  Old habits really do remain. 

What's the worst that can happen if you confront your Mum?  One issue at a time.  Pick your arguments ;-).  Make a list of what habits she has which you react to.  Then decide which is the easiest to walk away from.  Mine has muttered all year that "I wish that I had died at C.mas" [12 months and 1 day ago she had a bad fall in her house and the milkman found her, called an Ambulance then let me know.  Ever since ...... when things went 'wrong' for Mum!] so when we were there and she went into "I wish I had died" mode I turned quickly, explained that any more of that and I would go back home and that would be IT!!!  she shut up  8)

Not as easy when she went on and on about issues on the 'phone.  Stuck record however, she is!

I really don't understand guilt  :-\

LucyLoo

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 08:14:51 PM »

Thanks CLKD - I know you're right and I'm enabling my mother. My sister is much stronger than me and stands up for to her. I know I need to stand up to her too - as you say, what's the worse that could happen? I need to feel the fear and do it anyway! Thanks for your advice on making a list, I think that will help a lot. It sounds like you're doing so well standing up to your mother when she tries to make you feel guilty. I don't think it's ever easy to do it but worth it in the long run.

getting_old

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2017, 11:36:39 PM »

It's interesting how many of us seem to have (had) narcissistic mothers as mine definitely was. I'm wondering if it's a generational thing, as looking back my grandmother definitely supported, possibly even encouraged, my mother's narcissistic ways. My mother was an only child and utterly spoilt by her parents. She also spent almost every day of her life with her mother and expected me to do the same, and did her best to make me feel guilty when I moved away / escaped. Sadly I did because I'd been conditioned by her and my grandmother, but I was also able to see things from a distance and realise that I would be better off as far away as possible.

Unfortunately I was an only child so when my father died I did what was necessary to ensure she was safe, had a roof over her head, and ate properly, but I did it purely out of duty, definitely not love. I also knew that despite not liking or loving her I could not allow her to suffer, and I knew I would feel guilty if anything bad happened to her.

I think guilt is something else that my mother conditioned into me at an early age. She constantly had to be the centre of attention, the most loved person, etc. and if she wasn't then she blamed by father and me so she made us responsible for her happiness and if she wasn't happy then it was our fault. So I grew up feeling guilty every time she was unhappy and feeling like I had to do what she wanted so she would be happy because only her happiness mattered. Sad really, and I'm thankful every day that I did escape and that I have managed to spend more than 50% of my life away from her.

I think we all fear what might happen if we don't do what they want. If anything bad happens then we'd feel like it was our fault / guilty, especially as we've been conditioned to believe that we are responsible for their happiness, and that bad things happen if they aren't happy.

Oops, sorry for the long, and probably unhelpful post! To the OP I think the best thing you can do is compartmentalise your life so that you have time / things that you do with your mother then the rest of the time is for you and your family. Suggest doing things with your mother that you want to do, and if she doesn't want to do them then go do them on your own or with your family. Give your mother information about local clubs, support organisations, etc. and leave it up to her to either use them or ignore them. She's an adult and you can't make her do something, but you're also an adult so she shouldn't make you do anything either.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 11:52:16 PM by getting_old »

LucyLoo

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 08:28:52 AM »

Hi getting_old, what a helpful post, thank you so much. I identify with so much you say. I really like your compartmentalising idea,  I think this will help me a lot. I hope your post helps the OP too x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 10:43:09 AM »

I think our mothers were the post war women who were mostly expected to stay home and care for the family.  They never had the opportunities our generation had ( we have been the trail blazers in many ways) so there is naturally resentment that we have perhaps led more varied and fulfilling lives.  I know my mother is very bitter and resentful, she is a master of manipulation. There is definitely an expectation by many of that generation that we would be available to look after them as they aged - life has changed so much and it has left them behind - we have to work longer and often have children that need support for longer. 
The worrying thing for me is that the balance of society is really 'out of true' - when we get to our 70s, 80s and 90s, we will be in the majority and who is going to take care of us??? Our children will certainly not be in a position to help and I certainly wouldn't them to give up their lives to look after me - shoot me if I treat my kids the way my mother has treated me.  DG x
Pages: [1] 2 3