Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Apartment Life - the Pros an Cons  (Read 1339 times)

stellajane

Apartment Life - the Pros an Cons
« on: November 12, 2019, 11:36:10 AM »

Knowing the forum's a mine of information, can I ask for people's opinions on living in apartments (or flats as we call them round here).

We're considering making a move as we no longer enjoy the garden (OH never has and I seem to have developed almost year round allergies which makes it a chore).

What are the pros and cons?  What's the best age of flat to look at - converted old house, 60s/70s flat roofed buildings with big windows, modern ones? Most importantly how bad is neighbour noise and is it better to be on the top floor rather than the ground floor?

So many questions and not wanting to make a huge mistake leaping into the unknown. All advice gratefully received.

littleminnie

Re: Apartment Life - the Pros an Cons
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 12:56:03 PM »

I think the main things to consider are the maintenance fees and the lease.
If you buy a new one, they will be exceptionally well insulated and your heating bill will be very low.
I would only consider a higher floor if it had a lift.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 01:21:28 PM »

Beware of Leasehold particularly as the maintenance fees can rise annually !

We lived in a flat overlooking the beach.  Lovely until the sea came into the lounge: 3 floors up  :o.  We had moved out 24 hours B4 that happened.  But we loved it.  [I would miss my garden so not something I would consider but would love a view of the sea or hillside, i.e. Northumberland.]

What kind of view would you like?  I am desperate for a view.
Are you bothered by heights?
Balcony required?
Do you want to be able to walk to the shops; GP Surgery if there is one; library; theatre .......
How close to a hospital would you like to be?
Check out dental services in any areas you fancy.
Car parking close by?
How will you carry groceries to the flat?
How will you get out in case of a fire?
How will you get out if one of you needs a stretcher, are the corridors wide enough for being carried with hefty men helping ;-) ?

Of course, you could pack up your belongings and rent a property anywhere you like, i.e. for 6 months at a time.  Sort of like a long holiday.  I would love to do that but we have stuff  ;D

How exciting.  Or book a hotel suite for months?  No cooking, all on tap, laundry done  :D. We paid £250.00 for 3 nights in a posh suite overlooking the beach at Hunstanton earlier this year ;-)

Sparrow

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 01:58:46 PM »

Apartments can be problematic, if you don't have a share of the freehold.

When viewing go at busy times so you can check noise levels from adjoining flats.

Tidy and clean communal areas give a good idea of general maintenance and how other residents treat it.

Allocated parking is important.

Aviod property just for oldies.  They can have nasty clauses that make selling on complicated.

Lastly I would say why not concider a house with a courtyard garden.  That way you will still have an outside space, but you don't necessarily have to have plants.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 02:38:47 PM »

Would you be up for hosting on a camping site?  Have a look-see at the Camping and Caravan or Camping Club sites, they often need Wardens for 12 months.  All over the place.  One would need to like people, especially kids  ;D and be handy with maintenance but would probably get a ride-on mower ;-).

I'd forgotten change of information essentials  ::).  Would one be able to lodge details with a Solicitor?  Which part do you fancy trying first  ;D.  Do you want to be South where it might be warmer but probably more expensive to live, or up North.  We love Northumberland.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 04:20:04 PM »

I went to a block of flats for older people as my husband was working there and it was like a deserted cruise ship.  It was absolutely silent in there.  Just long, lonely corridors and everybody seemed to stay  in their own flats.  the lady who we visited said she can go weeks without seeing anybody. 

I think I would rather have a very small house maybe with a shared courtyard garden. 

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 04:37:24 PM »

I like solitude but that would feel freaky PF. 

I would love a bungalow with a view  :-*.  Found the place I like near Rothbury about 8 years ago but it was way over our price range  :-\.  Even for a view  ::)

Do you have preferences of area and view stellajane?