Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: What herbal or natural remedy would you try first for night sweats/flushes  (Read 3068 times)

Bettyboo

Hello Meno Friends

I've not posted for what seems like eons, although I do pop by from time to time. I've been a lot better lately, I'm pleased to say. Managed to come off the escitalopram in the summer and have been keeping on top of what was crippling anxiety with lots of meditation, yoga, healthy eating and volunteering. I feel I almost lead a normal life again; I can go out. I'm almost a year period free, so hopefully coming to end of peri.

The one thing that is still bugging me is night sweats, in fact, they have got worse. I usually wake up three or four times drenched. I can go to bed cold, with all the blankets, quilt and dogs (lol) on top to keep me warm and within an hour I'm throwing all the covers off. This happens several times int he night. The same happens in the evening when I am watching TV, always a sweat at 9.45 pm. Weird. Then yesterday I had first daytime hot flush, pretty horrible.

So, my question ladies is what would you try first? I'm about to put in an order to Healthspan for our vits, so I thought I could add something for flushes. Sage? Evening primrose? Currently, I just take betablockers for palpitations, Vit B12 'cos we are vegan and a probiotic. I am never going to be able to get HRT prescribed here (France) and have given up trying to discuss it with GP.

Thank you

BB

Dancinggirl

Re: What herbal or natural remedy would you try first for night sweats/flushes
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 01:31:24 PM »

Bettyboo - I would try a phyto-estrogenic diet first - so foods high in isoflavones/phytoestrogens e.g soya.  I am very post meno but still getting flushes and night sweats and have found a high dose of Red Clover daily has helped a little. I take double strength Premensil.  I also take Vitamin D and Magnesium - the magnesium seems to have helped the surges I get through my legs at night.  Eat small amounts often - flushes and sweats get worse when the blood sugar gets low. Try having a small snack before bed.
I have tried just about every other type of herbal and alternative remedy and none of it works. DG x

Bettyboo

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 01:57:49 PM »

Hi Dancing Girl

Thanks for your reply. Because I am vegan I eat TONS of soya: tofu, soya yoghurt, soya milk, etc. I do have some vit D and magnesium knocking around so I might add that into the mix. Am I supposed to take calcium with them too, I can't remember, though I researched all this ages ago. That is the combination of vits that I've got left. I tend to take them for a few months and then have a break, but it is quite a while since I have taken those. Interesting you mention surges in your legs as these night sweats start with awful pains in my feet ... only just made the connection now you mention it.

I like the idea of a snack before bedtime  ;D I think I'll order some red clover and see how it goes.

thank you

BB

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 04:37:13 PM »

I am vegetarian but do have cheese and eggs. You might want to look at what you eat - are you getting enough L Lysine - A very important amino acid to support skin and connective tissue but is mainly available from meat, fish and dairy.  It is also supposed to have a slightly calming action I believe - do research this.
I am third generation vegetarian and my parents included dairy and eggs to ensure a proper balance of all amino acids.
I think the right diet is your best help without HRT. DG x

Bea66

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 08:52:09 PM »

Hi Bettyboo, I've been taking Ultra Sage for a couple of weeks now, and amazingly and thankfully, it seems to be helping with my hot flushes!  I'm still getting  them, but not so frequently, and they are not so strong.  I was very sceptical but also desperate, so pleased to report a fairly positive result!