Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hello, new here  (Read 1077 times)

skystar

Hello, new here
« on: December 06, 2017, 06:43:02 AM »

Just wanted to say hello to everyone :) I've just joined the forum, looking for a bit of support from the other ladies on here.

I'm 50 years old, married with 2 children. I've been having symptoms of menopause for some years now and they're getting worse! Night sweats, hot flushes, early morning feelings of doom (awful!) lots of anxiety... I could go on...I just don't feel like my old self any more and I'm finding it gets me down a bit. Has got worse since I had a Mirena coil fitted a year ago (to help with heavy periods). My periods have now stopped, probably due to Mirena.

At least I know that I'm not alone. Hope to talk to you on here soon. :)

skystar

Lanzalover

Re: Hello, new here
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 06:58:59 AM »

Hi Skystar

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear how you are feeling are you using any Estrogen ?

Lanzalover x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 08:28:06 AM »

Hi and welcome to MM skystar

Pop to the GP and ask for some oestrogen as either pills, patch or gel. One of the pluses if having the Mirena is that you can use as little or as much oestrogen as you need to control most of those nasty meno symptoms. The Mirena must be changed every 4 years but as part of an HRT regime it usually gives the least problems and is the best way to protect the womb lining. It is quite normal for there to be no bleeding at all when the Mirena is in place which is a real bonus.
You just need to add some oestrogen and I'm sure you will feel much better. DG x

skystar

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 06:12:07 PM »

Hello and thanks for your advice ladies. No, I'm not using oestrogen, I just have the Mirena.
When I next see my GP I will mention how I've been feeling and ask about oestrogen.

Thanks again. Glad to be on this forum with others who understand. :)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 06:18:32 PM »

sky star - I wouldn't just ‘ask',  I would actually write down all your symptoms to show the GP and ‘request' you try some oestrogen alongside the Mirena to improve your quality of life. Perhaps explain, very clearly, that you have done some research and that the NICE guidelines recommend that oestrogen be the first line of treatment for menopause symptoms.
Pop to the GP sooner rather than later - get your life back on track.
Good luck.  DG x

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 06:43:10 PM »

Hello skystar and welcome to the forum.

I agree with Dancinggirl that the more information you have and the more assertive you are the better.  One of the common themes on this forum is how little knowledge some GPs have about  the menopause and it's treatment, you would be doing yourself and all womankind a service if you can educate your doctor lol.

Wishing you well and keep us updated.

K.

skystar

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 12:16:16 PM »

Hi and thanks Kathleen. :)

Yes, you and the other ladies who posted are right - you do need to be assertive with doctors about things relating to the menopause. I will be completely honest though and say that having confidence is a big problem for me at this point in time - due to the menopause and a very difficult year with family health matters and my eldest son leaving home to work elsewhere in the UK. Lots of changes - just trying to take them on board and deal with life as best as I can.

The worst bit is the anxiety in the early hours of the morning. It's only recently started and it's hellish. Usually has worn off by mid morning. Keeping busy and getting out for a daily walk does help though.

skystar