Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Venlafaxine - anxiety med - any positive stories?  (Read 5496 times)

Nairn

Venlafaxine - anxiety med - any positive stories?
« on: December 01, 2017, 02:03:11 PM »

Hi all, just been prescribed venlafaxine to help with anxiety, and skin problems in delicate areas.  Have tried most other options.  Successfully taking Femonston 2/10, but reading old posts I'm scared to take the Venlafaxine  - all the feedback seems very bad so hoping for some positive views?

Or some recommendations for a more natural approach - Kalms don't work  :'(

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 02:15:44 PM by Nairn »

Yammy1

Re: Venlafaxine - anxiety med - any positive stories?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 03:11:29 PM »

Hi I don't  know about venalfaxine, but I am almost three weeks on citalopram and am still waiting for it to kick in. I'm not sure if venalfaxine works he same way but I hav been a lot more anxious since starting citalopram. Was told it can take at leas a month to start working and I have to tell you it's a nightmare, but I will stick with it for another few weeks and hope for the best. Just be prepared to feel worse before you feel better. This anxiety is a bloody nightmare

Nairn

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 04:41:12 PM »

Thanks Yanmy1, and sorry to hear of your anxiety - hope you feel better soon x

Willosgang

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 04:50:04 PM »

I've been on venlafaxine 4 years gave me my life back did try citalopram prior but did not work for me even on the high strength.

Yammy1

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 04:50:45 PM »

Thank you Nairn, hope you feel better soon too.

Yammy1

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 04:53:55 PM »

Willosgang, did you find venalfaxine made you feel worse for the first few weeks. I really hope citalopram works I don't really want to have to change to something else  :'(

Jules53

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 06:16:25 PM »

Hi Nairn

I took Venlafaxine a few years ago when Peri started. I resisted at first but I'm so glad I decided to take it in the end. I was on it for about 18 months and did CBT whilst I was on it to help me when I decided to stop. It does take a few weeks to kick in so my doctor gave me some Diazepam to take until it did. You also have to come off it slowly. Apart from that it was great.

I hope you get on OK with it.

Jules

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 07:11:57 PM »

Hi Nairn

Sorry to hear of your ongoing anxiety even while taking HRT. I see you have tried a few HRT types, but might I suggest that actually, if you are pretty much past menopause, and you don't have any issues in your life which could make you anxious (and haven't suffered like this throughout your life except as part of pms) - you may benefit from an increased dose of oestrogen rather than taking anti-depressants?

Some women just do not absorb as much oestrogen as they could from tablet HRT and 2/10 is still only a medium dose. I would recommend taking a separate oestrogen and progesterone, switching to transdermal oestrogen ( patch or gel) and if possible a higher oestrogen dose. The two types of progestogen are provera and utrogestan.

Personally I would try this ( and other means of coping if you can) before trying the ADs.

Not sure what you mean by skin problems in delicate areas and how venlafaxine will help? Do you mean vaginal tissues? If so then you need local oestrogen to treat this which plumps up the tissues.

Hurdity x

hoping4best

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 03:25:38 AM »

Nairn I PMed you. Venlafaxine + CBT has been my treatment of choice for a long time. It might not be right for you but don't let anonymous internet horror story anecdotes scare you. Everyone is different, it's totally worth a try. It has been the best for me of many.

Feel better.

Nairn

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 10:31:35 AM »

Hi all, I don't seem to be able to reply individually but thanks so much  to everyone who has replied.

Hurdity - many thanks for the detailed info.  I have been seeing a consultant who recommended vagifem and also cream, after a lot of tests but neither have helped - in fact seem to have made things worse, as the skin has become very wet and sort of mascerated.  When I started menopause (45) I started to get down and anxious and when I get really anxious all the skin in my vaginal and vuvlal areas becomes inflamed and very irritated - almost a nervous reaction, - bizarre but true, so my wonderful GP suggested treating the cause.  As you say I had tried loads of different HRTs, but I am super sensitive to progesterone so Femonston 2/10 was the best one .  However I was also looking for birth control and the two for me don't go together- as Femonston brings back your periods I have no idea where I am in terms of the menopause cycle - so pregnancy apparently is still an option (I am 50).  So, I was persuaded to try a Mirena coil back in Feb this year - after 3 days it was removed as an emergency procedure and I suffered severe Pelvic Inflammory disease  - and now 8 months later I am just recovering as there were complications, and from all of that physical and emotional trauma my vaginal/vulval tissues have never been the same - it was a really stressful time and bizarrely that's where the stress seems to have shown itself - and getting it back under control is proving impossible.  I have a very demanding job, working mainly with men and some days I struggle to sit down it's all so sore, as as for sex, forget it.  Ironic considering the reason I went for the coil was to be able to !

I'm open to any and all suggestions ! And very grateful of any help - thanks Hurdity and ladies xxx

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 11:05:16 AM »

Hi there

I see from your profile that you have already tried Qlaira - what was the problem with this one? I know others have tried it with success but it seems to take a while for side effects to wear off? Also I expect that now you are 50 they may not prescribe it.

Sorry to hear about the Mirena and your problems and long recovery period after PID as this would have been a good option.

I don't really know what else to suggest - do have a look at The Burning Club thread in Private Lives - Maryjane and Dancgingirl are the experts on helping with vaginal problems and burning and may be able to talk you though the slow steps to recovery when they have time - maybe start another thread specifically about this? Also Maryjane has a closed FB group so you could pm her about this if you are interested?

It's such a pity that dyrogesterone is not available separately in this country and it's about time this was brought back which would enable you to take separate oestrogen and progesterone - and switch to transdermal oestrogen - and then you could increase the dose. Another idea which I've no idea whether anyone does it is to take the Femoston 2/10 as normal and with the supervision of a gynae - add in some extra oestrogen eg from a patch - and ask for a scan after 6 months to see how your womb lining reacts - or along with this extra oestrogen take an additional progestogen say every 3 months (eg Provera) while you are taking the combi part of Femoston - to shed any extra lining. This is just an idea of mine but not sure what a gynae would think or how your body would react to the extra prog - but say 12 days every 3 months on top of your current regime may be copable with, but give you the extra oestrogen boost you need?

If you can tolerate Provera then you could possibly stop the Femoston altgoether and swtich to this as your prog of choice along with transdermal oestrogen?

I do think it is important to get your HRT right for you but I udnerstand your wanting to alleviate your anxiety too....

Hurdity x

Butterfly22

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 12:41:54 PM »

I no you wanted positive stories but mine is 50/50
I just posted about angeliq as thought it was bringing on migraine but I missed a dose of venlafaxine and to be honest has scared me.
I've been on them over a year and have helped loads with mood and energy but it was a last resort for me so please think about it before you take them xx

Nairn

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 11:18:00 PM »

Hi Hurdity

I tried Qlaria for 4 months but it really did not work for me - depression and feeling totally rubbish and after 4 months changed to Femonston 2/10 and it's been great overall, but I just need to deal with the vaginal pain/skin problems and thanks to the lovely ladies who have shared I am less inclined to try the AD.  I will try and private message Maryjane as the FB site sounds good, although my settings don't seem to allow this ?

Thanks again for all of your help  - as part of the PID complications they found adenomyosis so unlikely to give me any more oestrogen unless it's via the pessary. :)

Reflecting on this as I write I have to say menopause has been an unexpected rollercoaster and so envious of some of my friends who are coasting though it!

Butterfly98 - so sorry to hear of your troubles, and hope you feel better soon x

Alicea

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 10:40:52 AM »

Hi Nairn, bit of an old post now but hope you're feeling a bit better!
I have been on venlafaxine for years - long before all this peri lark - and I find it really useful. I think it's sometimes prescribed for hot flushes which I think has helped me too. Anyway everyone is different and there can be a bit of faffing involved to find the right AD...some love it, some find it horrendous 😕 Good luck whatever you decided xx

Jules53

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2019, 05:50:53 PM »

Hi Alicea.

I know it's a while ago since you posted but I just wondered what dose you are on and whether you are on immediate or extended release Venlafaxine?

Thanks. Julesx
Pages: [1] 2