Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Feeling anxious and depressed  (Read 2004 times)

AJaye

Feeling anxious and depressed
« on: November 20, 2017, 02:27:41 PM »

Hi, I'm new to the forum and wondering if anyone can offer some reassurance! I'm 51 and have been on HRT for perimenopause for about 18 months. I started on Evorel sequi to try and ease tiredness and depression. I found that the oestrogen patches helped a lot but as soon as I went on the combined oestrogen and progesterone patches I was a bit of a nightmare ( really irritable and down). So the doctor changed me to Estradot 50 patches and Utrogestan 200mg. Although I still reacted badly to the Utrogestan I did feel a lot better when just using the Estradot- this continued for about 9 months . However the HRT no longer seems to be helping and I feel like I've got bad pms all the time. The doctor suggested upping the oestrogen but I already have very sore breasts ( which I thought was a sign of too much oestrogen) so I don't know what to do? I feel so anxious and low at the moment and wish I could sort this out.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Feeling anxious and depressed
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 03:10:37 PM »

:welcomemm:

Why not up the dose and see how your breasts feel and whether it eases the symptoms?

Anxiety can be hormonally driven or a part of your personality.  I take appropriate medication which keeps me on an even keel.  Again, what's to lose by trying ?

Anglichanka

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 11:44:24 AM »

hi, I have had really bad depression since becoming perimenopausal. I started HRT with 37mcg Estradot patches and 200mg Utrogestan, taken orally 15-28 of the month. This was awful: depression, profound fatigue, stabbing pains. Eventually -- it took nearly a year -- I have ended up with 200mcg oestrogen and 100mg Utrogestan, taken vaginally days 15-28 (you can have a lower dose when you take utrogestan vaginally because it is better absorbed). Taking it vaginally helps a lot. Upping my oestrogen dose has helped a lot, though that only happened when I paid to see Dr. Louise Newson privately. I still get at least one day a week of depression, and today is a bad progesterone day - weeping, panic, blackness - but all in all things are better. It took a lot of experimenting though: I went from 37 mcg utrogestan to 50 to 100 and finally 200. It's the highest dose so I don't to be on it for ever but for now I'm OK. I was told that as I'm "young" -- 48 -- I needed more oestrogen. It's definitely true, on the higher dose I sleep way better, and I only lose a few days to depression, anxiety and panic a month rather than losing weeks at a time. I used to get bad PMT and am guessing that's why I have so many mental health issues with menopause. I'd suggest you have a talk to your GP about trying a higher dose.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 08:27:11 AM »

Hi AJaye

:welcomemm:

Are you experiencing symptoms all the way through your HRT cycle or just at specific points and in what way do you feel your HRT is no longer working? Also what were your periods doing before you started HRT in terms of cycle frequency. changes etc?  This would give an indication of where you are in menopause. If you are very early peri-menopause and your won cycle is still strong then your own hormones will still be fluctuating to some extent in the background so sometimes it can be tricky getting it right. How many days per month are you taking the utrogestan?

Hurdity x