Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Question About the Jitters.  (Read 4536 times)

Kathleen

Question About the Jitters.
« on: November 12, 2017, 06:40:27 PM »

Hello Ladies.

I've been looking through my trusty meno book and I'd like to pick your brains if possible.

My book says ' women describe subtle sensations such as trembling, fluttering, unease and discomfort. More severe feelings of anxiety or panic can arise with little provocation. Tasks that you used to be able to tackle can leave you in total disarray. Mood swings from elation to despondency are common. Your patience is easily exhausted. The future may look hopeless, your loss if self-esteem is precipitous and you may feel truly depressed'. Just about sums me up today!  My question ladies is do you recognise the above and do you have any strategies for surviving such episodes. I'm thinking of things other than ADs or HRT. Rescue remedy perhaps, deep breathing, a gin and tonic? A member of the forum a while back  referred to her collection of aids but I can't remember what she included although I do recall her advising other women not to share their hoard lol.

I realise that the source of all these problems is hormonal but for those women who can't use ADs/ HRT or who find it difficult to get the right balance there must be something non medical and non addictive that they can try?

I'd be interested in your experiences ladies. All opinions welcome.

Take care.

K.

rebel2

Re: Question About the Jitters.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 08:51:32 PM »

Getting out into the fresh air for a very, very brisk walk or a run.   Drinking water.   Distracting myself.  Having a laugh [or trying to]. Saying 'do your worst' to the anxiety.   

Long term - sleep, good diet, no caffeine/alcohol/nicotine.   A well-rounded life.  Yoga. 

Looks easy written down!!

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 09:25:09 PM »

I recognise them all AND I've been on hrt since I was 32.  Feel cheated really.  I don't have answers.  I've always been too nervous to look into anxiety too deep as sometimes for me ignorance is bliss.  I could potentially read myself into worse anxiety by knowing too much

I'm probably no help as I didn't want to look at meditation either.  I just want to feel like I'm worthy to be out and about again like I used to feel, I used to love meeting and chatting with people and having a good time.  I'm drfinitely better than I was even a year ago but still so far from how I used to be x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 09:56:34 PM »

I have been wondering how you are and it's lovely to see you posting Kathleen!

Those symptoms seem 'within normal limits'.  My anxiety began at age 3.  I have used varying methods in order to keep it under control including medication.

Avoid alcohol as it's a known depressive.  Deep breathing: stretching toes, holding breath for 3 and then relaxing.  All the way up my body tensing/relaxing each muscle group at a time; usually by the time I get to my belly I'm asleep  ::).

SING! gets the lungs filled correctly  ;)

Brisk walking.  Deep bubble bath with Very Good Book. 

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 07:42:33 PM »

Hello ladies.

Thank you all so much for your comments. I'm grateful to you all for confirming that I'm not the only one to feel this way. I am always surprised ( and dismayed ) to read about GPs who don't recognise this meno problem as my book was written by  a doctor and published in 1982. Obviously there are other equally worthy books on the subject and numerous lists etc online. For some reason, doctors don't look at these. Infact I've just read a list of meno symptoms posted on the forum  by a member of MM ( sorry I can't recall the lady's name ) and I am now wondering if the the jitters etc comes under the term 'panic disorder' .

Thanks again ladies for taking the time to respond, much appreciated.

Wishing you all well.

K.

Valentine

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 07:52:42 PM »

Hi Kathleen,
Feelings of dread and fear jolt me awake or wave over me at without provocation. I remind myself what it is for reassurance and try not to give it any power.  I get jittery in my whole body one day.. gone the next.  Its awful.. it sucks! It helps to know its somewhat "normal" 😡 It helps to share with other women. I'm new to the site.  Sometimes it helps to just cry.  When you feel that way do something that you think you can't do. Even a little walk or 20 sit-ups. Listen to music.  Maybe even some angry teenage rebellion song🙃   Then go from crying to angry to kiss my butt menopause! "We are not going down without a fight." 💕
Big smile (sometimes forced these days)

wombat62

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 09:57:24 PM »

What is that all about, I've been getting that lately. Drop off to sleep fine and wake up with a jolt about half an hour later and can feel rising panic, really have to gather myself and calm down before it goes any further. Sometimes I've had a dream even though I can't recall what it was about.

Whatever, it is, it's very annoying!

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 05:14:23 PM »

Hello Valentine and welcome to the forum.

The jittery feelings, waves of fear and dread etc have been and still are my worst and most persistent symptom.  My trusty meno book describes them well but knowing them to be hormonal doesn't always help unfortunately.

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

Emerald2017

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 05:47:02 PM »

Hi Kathleen! I don't know if I can help, I only want you to know that you are not alone!
I find myself really depressed with my early menopause and the only thing it helps me is my job and my training.
I try not to think a lot just to go on my life. I try to keep my mind busy with small daily things, as reading a book, chatting, cleaning etc.
When I compare myself with others with more severe health problems and I feel grateful for the life I have.
I have no partner and it makes me feel lonely but I think that maybe it's better for me now.
Life is too short and we can make it happier day to day! 🌹

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 06:18:41 PM »

Welcome to the forum Valentine.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Kathleen

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 07:19:27 PM »

Hello wombat62.

The sensation you describe certainly resonates with me. Often these surges are accompanied by a hot flush but not always, rising panic just about covers it lol!

Back in the day I was having an MRI and the radiograper had to inject a contrast dye into my vein. She explained that I would feel a whooshing sort of pressure in my abdomen, my bladder would suddenly feel full and I'd worry  that I might urinate but nothing bad would happen.  She was a woman of a certain age and I was 49 so she added   ' it will feel like a hot flush '.  When I have my power surges and panics these days I'm reminded of that experience and realise that her comparison was spot on! 

Wishing you well.

K.

Kathleen

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 07:26:50 PM »

Hello  Emerald 2017.

Thank you for your comments and  I admire your attitude. I am an impatient person which doesn't help so I need to work on that. Time is a great healer as they say!

I'm glad that you're finding your own way through this hormonal turmoil, more power to your elbow lol.

Take care.

K.

Petals

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 12:35:32 PM »

New to the form, but I'm also experiencing jitters and anxiety. I went to my GP, however, he stated that as I am not 51 (I'm 50 this year) and my FSH was not elevated, then it's unlikely to be the perimenopause. He said I was suffering from anxiety. I refused the anti depressants and pushed for counselling instead.

Now having read more about my symptoms: muscle aches, night sweats, sleep disturbances, gastric problems, periods coming closer together (every 3 weeks) and anxiety/uneasiness, I'm convinced I'm perimenopausal. I've read that the FSH test is not reliable - which is what a female doctor advised before she left our surgery - and NICE say to go on symptoms alone for those woman over 45yrs anyway (something my doctor obviously hasn't read).

I feel like I can't go back to my GP as he will insist he is correct and unfortunately the female doctor has moved on. I had a very stressful end to last year, losing my Mom under difficult circumstances and a friend has stated that instances such as these can bring on the menopause. I suppose the one person that I could have asked for honest advice is no longer around, and of course I'm still grieving too. No one really talks about all the other symptoms, only usually the hot flushes, so I'm overwhelmed by it all and when I read ladies are suffering for over 10 years (my anxiety builds even more). I did purchase some multi vitamins that also contain another botanic tablet for menopausal women from Boots, but my GP advised me to stop taking them as he said they acted just like a placebo. So I'm so confused about what to do or take - any advice would be greatly welcomed.

Valentine

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 07:11:18 AM »

Hi Ladies!

Thank you for the welcome!! I can't tell you how nice it feels to share this with someone who understands!  I try very hard to smile through my day but often lately can't wait to get alone to cry  Kathleen,   The jolting awake is awful and scary! It's reassuring that others have it too.  This week my feet and jaw  ache ... and I had cold spells! Anybody? REALLY?!?!?    If my head fell off it wouldn't surprise me. I'd just pick it up and add it to the list!!
An odd thing helps me with the adrenaline rush and dread at night .. I hold an ice pack in my hands as I go to sleep. It seems to calm it down. Maybe the distraction of the cold.. I'm not sure. Just thought I'd share in case it helps anyone else.
I hope you are all having a great night!!
V
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 07:23:27 AM by Valentine »

Valentine

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 07:18:48 AM »

Hello Taz2!
Thank you!😊
Pages: [1] 2