Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: I just feel absolutely lost!!  (Read 1315 times)

Lisylou

I just feel absolutely lost!!
« on: November 13, 2017, 01:39:25 PM »

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I'm completely lost as to how I feel. I wondered if any of you feel this way?

Basically, I moved abroad about 4 years ago and had no symptoms of perimenopause. Life is good, I'm very lucky that I have a great husband, great kids, the most fantastic supportive friends. I'm supported with whatever I want to do in life. Then middle of last year, I just started wanting to just hide away. I didn't feel good about myself, the brain fog kicked in and I couldn't really think straight. All I feel is that I am like a little boat with no sails, no engine and I'm just drifting around. The anxiety is just not good and I just feel safe if I lie down away from everyone. I look at everyone else and they all look so capable and I just feel hopeless like I can't achieve a great deal.

I haven't really got any physical symptoms. I went to the gynaecologist earlier this year and apparently I've still got a lot of eggs left and I'm fertile. However, my mum is only 17 years older than me and she is bang on full menopause. I can't drink alcohol as I get so hot in the middle of the night and water doesn't cool me down for a long time. Before, I even associated perimenopause about a week ago I had been going to the doctors for depression. I've stopped taking the anti depressants because the happiness just feels false and I don't feel in control. It's not sadness or depression just anxiety and wanting to hide away.  It's like being on an emotional rollercoaster and I can't get off.  I actually just want an invisibility cloak and come back when I think I can manage.

My issue is that I'm not sure if it's expat feelings or if I am peri. However, all the emotional side of peri is just how I feel and the exhaustion and feeling that I'm walking through cement is just crippling.

I've always struggled more emotionally with pmt than the physical side and I can get very hormonal.

Snoooze

Re: I just feel absolutely lost!!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 05:42:55 PM »

Hi Lisylou,

How old are you?

I started going through peri around age 45. I finally went to the GP about it a few years ago and had blood tests that didn't show anything but my GP said they go more on symptoms. She asked me all my symptoms and said definitely peri.

Have a look at this list and see if you recognise any of the symptoms:

https://www.34-menopause-symptoms.com/

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 06:13:57 PM »

Hello Lisylou and welcome to the forum.

I am sure some ladies will be along shortly to advise you but your symptoms certainly fit the bill for peri menopause. I know that blood tests at this stage are totally unreliable so I assume the number of eggs you have is equally irrelevant!  You don't say how old you are but I'm assuming you are in your forties and your mother is in her late fifties/ early sixties.

I'm sure many of us would like an invisibility cloak and hide away until this is all over, I know I would.

Hopefully you'll get more responses soon.

Wishing you well and keep posting.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 06:16:08 PM »

You've had an upheaval - moving is stressful, regardless!

Some ladies find keeping a diary of mood/symptoms/food useful. 

Have a browse round.  Make notes!

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 05:49:58 PM »

Hi Lisylou

:welcomemm: from me too.

It is cyclical changes combined with symptoms that determine your menopausal status more than anything. Many women start to get symptoms such as worsening pms just before peri-menopause really gets going (ie when the cycle is still pretty regular and ovulation is still occurring) - which would be a sure sign that it's on its way. The hot feelings also can start early. Have you skipped any periods yet?

This stage can be difficult to treat but sometimes a low dose HRT (like Femoston for example) can really help some women at this point, but also there are combined contraceptive pills that are very like HRT (in terms of the oestrogen) that some gynaecologists prescribe at this point as these can bridge the gap until you need to take HRT. These are cAlled QLAIRA  and ZOELY.

Now is the time to look at your overall health and lifestyle and make any changes if you need to, that will improve your health in the years to come.

Do ask any more questions if you need to or just come and chat whenever you are feeling down and there is always someone about :)

Hurdity x