Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: A day from hell  (Read 24184 times)

Annie0710

Re: A day from hell
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2017, 04:19:43 PM »

She is lethargic, but I guess to an extent that's understandable because of all the trauma she's suffered this past week.  One week tomorrow this all happened and her emergency surgery

We live close to the local one but I had to transfer her quickly to the main one with 24/7 care last Monday but I'm really hoping tomorrow is the last pill day

Cazikins

« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2017, 08:18:22 PM »

Oh Annie I am so sorry to read about your poor cat & I do hope she gets better soon - what an awful time you have had. I have been reading about this last week as to how she's getting on.

I hope you don't mind me posting this - it is something I was sent years ago when my poor old cat (called Fanny) needed to be given pills & I had similar problems to you - it is a light hearted story & I hope it makes you smile & you aren't offended in any way  :-*:

1)  Pick up cat and cradle it in the crock of your left arm as if holding a baby.  Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of the cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand.  As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth.  Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.   

2)  Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa.  Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3)  Retrieve cat from bedroom and throw soggy pill away.

4)  Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm while holding rear paws tightly with left hand   Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger.  Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

5)  Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe.  Retrieve spouse from outside.

6)  Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees.  Hold front and rear paws.  Ignore low growls emitted by  cat.  Get spouse to hold hear firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth.  Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.   

7)  Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap.  Make note buy new ruler and repair curtains.  Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8)  Wrap cat i large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible form below armpit.  Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9)  Check label to make sure pill is not harmful to humans.  Drink one beer to take taste away.  Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10)  Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed.  Get another pill.  Open another beer.  Place cat in cupboard and close door on neck to leave head showing.  Force mouth open with dessert spoon.  Flick pill down throat with elastic band.   

11)  Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges.  Drink beer.  Fetch bottle of scotch.  Pour shot of scotch and drink.  Apply cold compress to cheek and check record for date of last tetanus shot.  Apply whiskey compress to cheek to disinfect.  Toss back another shot.  Throw shirt away and fetch new on from bedroom.   

12)  Call fire department to retrieve cat from across the road.  Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat.  Take last pill from foil wrap.   

13)  Tie the little &#^@'s front legs to rear legs with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table.  Find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed.  Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of steak.  Be rough about it.  Hold cat's head vertically and pour two pints of water down throat to wash pill down.   

14)  consume remainder of scotch.  Get spouse to drive you to the ER.  Sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye.  Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.   

15)  Arrange for SPCA to collect mutant cat from hell and call local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

How To Give Your Dog A Pill

1)  Wrap pill in bacon.

2) Toss it in the air.   

Cazi xx

Annie0710

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2017, 09:41:54 PM »

Cazikins I really laughed out loud reading that ! Seriously, I can relate to so much, I hope one day i can look back on this week and chuckle at our pill popping stories

I thought it was serious at first and the first bit I thought I can't  cradle her as she has stitches under her tummy and on her right side, it's impossible to pick her up.  She was in my sons room earlier on his bed, with a bowl of fresh wet food with metacam in, a bowl of her fav dried food and a few of her beloved Whiskas temptations .... nothing tempted her so it was pill time, after she spat the first one out she went to his window cill, it's low enough as she can't jump at the moment.  So I cornered her there and tried the soggy pill again, nope it ended up flicked on his bedside lampshade, even soggier, so I put it back in the pill pusher and held her head up for ages til I saw her swallow, managed the other pills.  Went out and came back in to make peace with her and noticed the big blue liver function pill laying on sons bedroom carpet, I could've cried, by then she'd gone to another room to avoid me

It's a nightmare

Food delivery came tonight so I unpacked it all, went to put some toiletries on the stairs to take up later and she was there, at the bottom of stairs waiting for the door to the stairs to open, it shocked me and I dropped one of the new luxury cat food tins on her tail, she bolted to the kitchen so I had to quickly shut the back door, which has access to the cat flap (she won't use it unless it's permanently sellotaped open) but I reckon in desperation she'd go through it right now! Hubby came and together we tried getting her from under the table, nope she weren't having it...long story short she walked around looking at changes in the lounge we've made since she's been upstairs, then tried jumping on dining table and failed miserably, I think that hurt her and so she readily went back upstairs, now we've got to be really careful opening the door to the stairs x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2017, 09:47:15 PM »

When ours went to ground I used a feather - moving it slowly to tempt them to notice and not grabbing for ages ;-). 

She sounds like she'll be fine.  I wouldn't push anything until the morning when she's been for the next appt., it is too stressful for your all!  Keep tempting her, have you tried freshly opened tuna or salmon ;-)

Annie0710

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2017, 09:50:53 PM »

I haven't tried fish as the vet (nearly said dr then) said to feed her gentle things as her stomach is fragile from the injuries/surgery.  So I've kept to chicken, which she usually loves.  Hubby 'pulled' some of the chicken for her that we had with our roast..... nope not interested! X

CLKD

« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2017, 09:53:02 PM »

Maybe her sense of smell is impaired, have you tried heating it which can encourage cats to eat.  After all, they get warm food in the wild.  Or open a tin of fish which is easier to eat then chicken in that it doesn't take as much chewing and pour the juice into a dish?  Not too much though 'cos it might a little salty.  If she laps it, pour juice over a piece of chicken?

She'll have you running to MacDonalds next ;-)

Annie0710

« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2017, 10:11:57 PM »

THe things we do for her, in her healthy days she's like Lady Muck, as I've said we have to sellotape the cat flap permanent open so she has her freedom, we have to wait for her for dog walks, as she likes to tag along.  Her son has to make do with the food SHE likes.  My son sits perched on the end of HER sofa if she's there before him.  The dogs avoid being near her as she'll swipe them one minute or just ignore them the next.  Although since this she's been letting the shih-tzu get closer to her on the bed, I don't think he can believe his luck x

CLKD

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2017, 10:37:43 AM »

Sounds about 'right' then  :catscratch: :cat88: :cat48:  been there etc..

How is she today?

Annie0710

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2017, 01:27:36 PM »

Vet saw her today, she has s temperature so we have a new plan:

Vets morning and evening for at least the next 3 days where they will give ABs by injection and pain relief by injection and will give her tramadol pill plus her liver pill.  They're a bit concerned she has an infection :-(

I took the vest with me but she said she's more concerned on her health/wellbeing than her stitches right now so no vest on x

CLKD

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2017, 06:09:40 PM »

That's good that the Vets. are taking responsibility for pain relief, that way you can be 'mum' with the comfort blanket ;-). How are you both this evening?

Annie0710

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2017, 06:47:01 PM »

Not good news:

Bert was under sons bed all day, so another day of no food.  We took her to her vets appt and she didn't give injections but got us to drive her straight to the other vets, we've just dropped her off and signed everything again :-(

They're putting in IV and giving her a general to scan her this evening.  They haven't even took her out of her carrier, so she's gone in their holder in her carrier and they'll unzip it

I'm fearing the worst now.  I've broke down and cried in both surgeries this evening ..... x

JaneinPen

« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2017, 09:53:34 PM »

Oh Annie0710. I have been following your thread and worrying about you and Bert. I hope she has a peaceful night even although I doubt you will. She is in the right place for help though. Everything crossed for you xx

Annie0710

« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2017, 10:19:37 PM »

Thank you Herdwick

Hubby and me (and my son) are heartbroken

Vets have called, scan went ok and they're running bloods now. Peritonitis is still a possibility.  They'll ring me in the morning.  We are just sitting here stunned at how all this has gone xxx

Annie0710

« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2017, 07:46:07 AM »

Thank you

We should get the blood results back by 10am

Xx

Claireylou

« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2017, 07:55:16 AM »

Annie you and Bert were on my mind all night. I know how stressful it can be when your fur baby is really poorly.

I really hope she starts to pick up very soon. It sounds like you've got a very caring/understanding vet which can be half the battle.

I'm sending you lots of love and I've got every thing crossed for you all.

Lots of love xxx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10