Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Biopsy, how long for results  (Read 20688 times)

jaycee

Re: Biopsy, how long for results
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2018, 11:19:11 PM »

Well results back today,no op, but radiation therapy for  every day,  for 38-45 weeks involving  a 70 mile round trip.plus Hormone therapy, to reduce testosterone, [not too happy about the side effects, but knows its neccessary cant remember how long for, also injections every 3 months
No lymph nodes involved, but could be worse

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2018, 05:21:41 PM »

Are there regular scans during treatment?   The time scale seems harsh, every week day? not weekends? ......   that's almost a year?  Is the Dept aware of the distances involved, maybe ask for support for dieseal/petrol?  You may find one of the Cancer Charities, i.e. Macmillan, will pay a 1-off amount towards costs.

Does the Hospital have flats for patient use?  Is there a PALS Dept for advice?  Radiation can cause tiredness so who will drive him there and back?

jaycee

« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2018, 05:22:23 PM »

So sorry, not 38 weeks,its 8 weeks, 38-45 treatments, he said 38 weeks, must have got mixed up, i am assuming he will have scans,but maybe after having some of the radiotherapy, and HT and injections
According to most people i have spoken to, online,the radiotherapy is a walk in the park,its the Hormone therapy that is the worst re side effects
A few people have said their other half have driven themselves and been fine
He did mention that maybe he could get help towards petrol etc, but i doubt he would get it, he isnt short of money and has a big car, not sure what make, but a very expensive one, so i dont think he can expect it, but hes a bit tight so probably will ask
I can understand someone not so well off or on benefits etc wanting help, but i wouldnt expect it in this case
I dont think he would want to stay somewhere, but his son or daughter would normally take him but both working, and i dont drive

CLKD

« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2018, 06:39:44 PM »

Has he sorted out a time to have the treatment?  I was able to book the same time every day for 4 weeks.  I drove myself mostly.  I had to lay still for 5 mins., it took me longer to get un/dressed than have the treatment  ::)

jaycee

« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2018, 10:51:03 PM »

I think the radiotherapy comes after the tablets are finished,

CLKD

« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2018, 07:02:19 PM »

How R *U*?

jaycee

« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2018, 06:30:41 PM »

I am fine thank you CLKD, and partner seems ok, :) :) he is still on the tablets for another 12 days, and had one injection,then starts on the Radiotherapy
He has a cousin who has had RT and HT and got some useful info off him, but not sure if the same treatment will exactly apply ,as maybe the cousins cancer was in a different area
He is very upbeat about it,even though still prostate,he doent think he will need the enema befor the RD ,but whether he knows for sure he didnt say

CLKD

« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2018, 07:14:54 PM »

:foryou:

jaycee

« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2018, 10:09:47 AM »

Thank you , he has had 2 weeks on the tablets and 1 injection up to now, he goes to the hospital where he will be having the Radiotherapy on the 18th April, possoibly just to find out initially what will be the routine etc, he has been told nothing about it yet
His cousin had this treatment for PC so told him something about it, but could be a bit different mayube dependig on the area
No loss of libido yet ;D

CLKD

« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2018, 04:36:26 PM »

I went for an assessment for radiation and opted for tattoos.  Otherwise it would have been a dye which could have washed off and I do LOVE my bath!  The assessment included laying still whilst the laser was lined up, then the area was tattooed to enable each delivery would been the same place.  Clever.  I took a tape [remember those  ;D] to listen to whilst having the rays, took about 4 mins.; longer to get undressed/dressed than have the treatment  ::)

I also had to avoid young children and the elderly and was not allowed to sit in the sun whilst having treatment.  Large hat was required.

jaycee

« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2018, 09:30:58 PM »

I have read about having to lie still while having the laser was lined up. what are the tattoos for, are they so they  dont have to be marked every time you have treatment?
Also do you mean while the treatment is ongoing you cant sit outside in the sun at all?not much danger of that at the moment is there, this weather ::)
He has been told he has to keep away from, pregnant women and babies for 2 hours after treatment, thats all he knows up to now
I do remember tapes :),i still have one that i play when i cant sleep, a relaxation tape
The treatment is very quick isnt it, ?

CLKD

« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2018, 03:58:34 PM »

You are correct, well done on interpreting my garbled explanation  ::).

The tattoos are so that the laser is lined up exactly each time.  I had to wear a hat, the Jamaican lady who had treatment B4 I did, and I used to have dress the hat competitions  ;D each day, of course she had the better dressed hat as she had bright ribbons etc. to hand  ::)

I think I was under the beam for less than 4 mins..  Took longer to get undressed/dressed  :D.   I had slight sunburn for which I was given cream eventually ......... to be used sparingly  ::).   It looked like I had sat in the sun with half a breast showing .........

jaycee

« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2018, 10:22:11 PM »

Sounds as if it wasnt too bad then, and the hat competition must have been a good distraction
I hope he doesnt get sunburn where he is having the radiation or he might not be able to sit down
I did read that the radiation treatment was very short

CLKD

« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2018, 10:49:42 AM »

A few moments of zapping but over a period of weeks can cause sunburn.  Maybe he should be encouraged to ask ;-)

jaycee

« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2018, 10:36:22 PM »

Yes good idea,i will mention it to him
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8