Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Burning Mouth Syndrome  (Read 30449 times)

Lucyjo

Re: Burning Mouth Syndrome
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2018, 05:20:23 PM »

I've not used a mouthwash since I started with BMS.
I will try the colgate one though - thanks x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2018, 07:43:41 PM »

My mouth has been sore this weekend, can't fathom why.

What are you taking for the depression?

Lucyjo

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2018, 09:02:03 AM »

I'm taking Citalopram 40mg.
Have been on it for years - way before the BMS x

Lucyjo

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2018, 09:02:27 AM »

Saw GP yesterday & she has told me to stop taking Citalopram (reducing over 2 weeks) then stop Nortriptyline & after 2 days take Duloxetine 60mg once a day instead of the other two.
Does anyone have any experience of duloxetine & did it help burning mouth syndrome???
Thanks x

Maryjane

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2018, 01:10:30 PM »

Be very careful with duloxetine, has a black warning in the US I believe as it is highly addictive and very hard to get off of.

knorman

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2018, 04:56:41 PM »

Hello Lucyjo

I am struggling badly with extremely dry, burning mouth at present and I understand the depression as I have constant anxiety with this and seem to shake most of the day.  Waiting for an appointment with maxillofacial to try and possibly find the cause for the dryness, maybe your Dr could organise this for you? I have been using Xyilmelts for the dryness and they have been helping, but today from Boots I have ordered the entire Biotene range for dryness and burning, which includes a mouthwash.  Maybe they would be of use to you. I am here if ever you need to talk (as I know the other ladies are), this is completely depilating as I no longer know what to eat or drink for the best!

Maryjane

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2018, 05:27:27 PM »

Since doubling my oestrogel from 1 pump to 2 a day , my burning mouth has hugely reduced in the two weeks I have upped the dose .

Lucyjo

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2018, 08:39:09 PM »

Hi Knorman,
Thanks for that! I saw a maxillofacial about 2yrs ago & he prescribed the Amitriptylene - which I have been on until last autumn when the gp changed them to Nortriptylene. Neither have done much I'm sorry to say. I will give the Biotene a try.
Maryjane, I asked for HRT again yesterday & she told me to try these duloxetine instead!
So fed up with this x

Maryjane

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2018, 08:53:56 PM »

Duloxetine over HRT mad ....I would seriously educate yourself on duloxetine ( i admin a pain group and see what this drug does ) .

If you want HRT then pushbfor it take the NICE guidelines look up burning mouth and menopause very common , I would be making noises and complaining.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 09:28:21 PM by Maryjane »

knorman

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2018, 09:54:42 AM »

Morning Lucyjo

I had been on 20mg amitriptyline for 10 years with no problem with dry mouth apart from first couple of weeks. I went cold turkey few weeks ago and very next day, dry mouth had gone.  Was like it for a couple of days and then something from the dishwasher set it off again, absolutely gutted! It seems that it is the dry mouth that causes discomfort, burning and stinging.  It is all very complicated isn't it and we are all different in how we respond to medication.  I'm trying not to hold out all my hopes on the maxillofacial! I may have missed something somewhere, so apologies for asking, but why won't your Dr prescribe HRT? Boots order is in, so looking forward to picking that up later!

Lucyjo

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2018, 10:13:10 AM »

Morning Knorman,
I really don't know. She just goes on about blood clots & breast cancer - I don't have any connection to either! I also still have periods - if that makes any difference, despite being 55!
I don't know if to take the duloxetine now following Maryjanes post - there appears to be very mixed reviews.
Got 2 weeks to decide whilst coming of citalopram & nortriptyline. This hideous condition takes over life doesn't it?
Please keep me informed about the biotene. So glad to talk to you. Was the amitriptyline you took not for burning mouth then?

Maryjane

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2018, 02:58:17 PM »

Lucyjo this site I have just posted is excellent , owned by a NHS/ private GP re HRT.

Read through it and go armed , your GP is actually all about her opinion and not evidence based IMO.

Also having periods is irrelevant , I have my own natural cycle still.

This GP herself is on HRT.

Also along with hormones BMS can also be caused by B12 and ferritin deficiency.

Just to quick to put very addictive drugs on patients.

https://menopausedoctor.co.uk/
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 03:03:34 PM by Maryjane »

Lucyjo

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2018, 03:35:45 PM »

Hi Maryjane,
Thanks so much for that, I'll read up! x

Hurdity

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2018, 05:30:25 PM »

Hi Lucyjo - coming late to this thread. I see you had the Mirena coil and it was removed after 7 years and since its removal you have started having periods again - is that right? Are they regular or has your cycle gone haywire without the Mirena? If your cycle is irregular then you are definitely peri-menopausal and your age would also indicate that. If you have been taking the ADs and nerve pain meds then these might be reducing or eliminating the hot flushes you might have experienced due to menopause.  While it's great that you may well not be expereincing them, it is these obvious symptoms which persuade docs to prescribe HRT - and it can be difficult sometiems it seems,  just to get it otherwise - although it shouldn't be!

I'm not clear why your doc is prescribing duloxetine? if you have long-standing depression which has nothing to do with hormones, and for which you have been taking ADs - then presumably you will continue with something - but if they are for menopausal symptoms or hormonal anxiety and other symptoms then HRT is more appropriate as Maryjanes has said.

If you are having erratic heavy bleeding without the Mirena then also might be worth having a word with the doc to check all is OK with uterus - but you may just be a late menopauser. There is also a thread for women like you ie menopause over 55! https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,36765.msg610539.html#msg610539

Hurdity x

Lucyjo

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2018, 10:17:23 PM »

Thanks Hurdity you are so helpful! I have been on Citalopram or similar for 20+ yrs for depression/anxiety.
But only got the burning mouth approx 2.5 yrs ago - then started the amitriptylene as well, at night.
I keep thinking if I could get rid of the BMS I could cope better with the depression etc as it is ruining my quality of life & my family's. My periods have been regular since having the coil removed, but they just seem like another burden at the moment.
Thanks again x
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10