Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Just saying hello!  (Read 1529 times)

FanOfFans

Just saying hello!
« on: October 17, 2017, 11:40:03 AM »

Hi Folks,

(thanks DancingGirl for your hello on the flush page and re-directing me here)

Just saying hello and hoping to get the benefit of your wisdom.

I am 46 - very nearly 47 - and starting missing periods in about 2013 - went from very heavy to irregular then stopped over a few years. I actually miss them  :(

I was diagnosed with rosacea in April 2015 and confirmed menopausal February 2016.

I am currently struggling with temperature control - usually WAY too hot when no one else is but also getting cold easily! I have had night sweats - although not too bad.

My main concerns are facial flushing - it seems like a deadly combination - rosacea and menopause!

Triggers for flush are: heat, stress, food (even just starting to eat food), embarrassment, concentrating, any emotions!

Would love to hear what is normal for menopause facial flush wise and what is normal for rosacea (if you know what I mean!), any rosacea experience gratefully received.

(No periods/bleeding at all, not on any medication at all)

Thanks very much

FoF

Dancinggirl

Re: Just saying hello!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 02:24:48 PM »

I can totally relate to your problems and I'm afraid the only solution is HRT. Do give it a try - it could transform your life.
DG x

dazned

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 04:54:31 PM »

:welcomemm:

Great to have you here !
When you were diagnosed with rosacea what did they advise you to do ?
Have you had bloods done recently to rule out other things, i.e. thyroid problems,this too can cause wonky thermostat 😉
What route would you like to persue ?

FanOfFans

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 06:34:24 PM »

The rosacea treatment was metrogel, then doxycycline both of which stopped the spots.

Then various creams, have recently been using Kalme.

Possibly need a thyroid check, it was done ages ago but my mum had thyroid problems.

My face can look OKish but then as soon as I get hot etc it's a really bad flush.

Thanks both for yr replies.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 06:54:35 PM »

It 'could' being the operative word  ;)

It's the Trial and Error that can be so tiring B4 finding something that eases symptoms.

dazned

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 07:13:51 PM »

To be on safe side I'd get my thyroid checked out,it can be hereditary.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 04:12:54 PM »

Hi FanofFans

:welcomemm:

Aside from your symptoms you have gone through menopause at quite a few years before the average age (51/52) and whether or not you experience symptoms it is advisable to take HRT at least until this age for bone and cardio-vascular protection, with the added benefit of eliminating flushes and sweats.

Before I started HRT and when I stopped briefly for 3 months a few years ago - I developed a red blotchy face and a sort of rash - which I gather is menopausal acne (I'm never quite sure what rosacea is?) - raised red hot itchy bumps (on my cheeks) which didn't have a head. Very unsightly.  Never had acne as a teenager - and this wasn't real acne anyway. Completely cleared up with HRT.

Hurdity x

FanOfFans

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 08:45:10 AM »

Hi me again,

Just had a smear test - ouch that was painful!  :(

Anyway another question or two please for your mass wisdom:

1. does anyone else suffer with temperature i.e. often too hot or too cold and hard it difficult to find a nice temperature?

2. last night I went to visit a friend but couldn't stand the heat of the log fire as I went bright red and flushed? Horrible  :'(

any comments etc gratefully received, thanks very much

rebel2

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 09:13:38 AM »

I have had terrible temperature trouble for years now [I'm 57].  I have to think carefully about what I wear as any synthetic material will sleeves tends to 'trap' the heat in - I haven't worn anything woolly or tight on arms for years.  It has to be really cold for me to wear a jumper!   I also find I get delayed heat - for instance if I have a bath I will get boiling hot half an hour after getting out.  Walking anywhere fast is also lethal, I am boiling and dripping with sweat when I later sit down.   I run training courses and have to really think ahead about what to wear - layers is the answer with the final layer always being sleeveless.  I dread to think how I'll cope when my bingo wings get too bad!

HRT helped with the flushes, but the temperature control has stayed and I've just learnt to live with it.  My husband loves it as it saves on heating bills!!

dazned

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 12:42:34 PM »

I'm always in T-shirt no matter what the weather and sleep under a 4 tog duvet throughout Winter! Adjusting your thoughts on clothing seem to be a way to go .😉

FanOfFans

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 01:41:01 PM »

Thanks all you are making me feel less like a freak with this temperature business   :)

For those of you that HRT helped their rosacea/flushing what kind of HRT are you on please?

Thanks

FoF