News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 4506 times)

Claireylou

Re: Newbie
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 11:01:15 AM »

I could have had testosterone too but have decided to get my estrogen levels sorted first. Didn't want to throw too much into the mix to start off. If I feel I need something in the future I'll hot foot it to GP.

Some women may never have really bad atrophy, some suffer terribly. There are some really great threads on here to read. Again, we are all so different. Like I said to you before, my bits were a little sore before HRT and feel much comfier now but I won't say no to Vagifem if I need it at a later date.

In my moments of panic and despair I found it easier to say to myself that I should just go with the flow of things, that my op was for improving my overall health. It helped me to override my panic a little bit.

The waiting is by far the worse part of the whole process. I do hope you get a date soon. Keep us informed and ask if you're unsure of anything.

Xxx

Carolinehunter

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 02:31:57 PM »

Thank you . You must think I'm a right looney ( feel like one) I'm normally such a strong, independent woman and this has hit me hard.
I guess because I'm not in any pain, I felt the lump in July and just thought that they would remove it and that was it..ignorance is bliss! My life has been turned upside down completely in this last fortnight since seeing the consultant.

Anyway on a lighter note. Pjs or night shirts for hospital wear ? I need to go shopping. Anything else you recommend I take.

Claireylou

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2017, 02:57:06 PM »

My hospital list was:

Dressing gown and slippers
Couple of comfy nighties(nighties are better, in case you have an urethral catheter for first 24 hours)
"Bridget Jones" pants a couple of sizes too big in case you get a bit of a swollen tum(really common)
Sanitary towels, you'll probably have very light bleeding for a while
A comfy bra
Bath and hand towel
Hairbrush and hair ties
A cushion(great for the car journey home to save the seat belt pressing against your tum)
Peppermint tea bags and polos for wind which is quite painful
Lip balm, hand cream (air con is really drying)
Magazines
Shampoo and conditioner(travel size ones are great)
A really gentle, mild baby body wash(I used dove baby) so your scars won't be irritated
Deodorant
Phone charger
Toothbrush and toothpaste
Wet wipes, lovely for a quick freshen up

I put my toiletries into large ziplock freezer bags. Bathroom stuff in one and everything else in another. It saved having to bend and rummage in your bag if you need anything. I wore loose fitting joggers and a hoodie into hospital and wore the same home, easy to put on. Also my faithful old ugg boots.

If you have a look on the hysterecyomy association website, they have a comprehensive list of hospital items to take in. Also great recovery tips. Doing nothing for 6 weeks is a lot harder than it looks!

Of course I don't think you're a "looney"! I'm happy to help. I can remember how frightened I was xxx
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 03:03:18 PM by Claireylou »

Hurdity

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 12:54:33 PM »

Yes that's right re the testosterone. I'm not sure what the protocol is for giving HRT after a total Hyster + BSO - but the info was on the link I gave. It may be that you won't need it but I would have the discussion sooner rather than later so they are aware. T takes some time to work so it could be beneficial to start straight away so that it has time to work as the effects of T reduction are also slowly (or even quickly) felt?

Yes no T preparation available for women any more ( not sure about the implants - maybe they still are ??? ) so we use T gel for men off licence at much reduced dose with the aim of keeping within physiological range for women.

Yes as Claireylou says - all oestrogen patches and the gels contain estradiol - which is the main oestrogen we need to replace.  The PRE- horse urine ones don't come as patch or gel (maybe cream in US though?).

Where did you feel a lump? I think I missed that, sorry.

Hurdity x

Carolinehunter

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 02:06:25 PM »

Me again!
Did anyone have problems after their catheter was removed, I remember after they removed it the last time not being able to pee and they had to put it back in this is really worrying me.
Also when should I expect my date for surgery. My consultant said 4 to 6 weeks and that was two weeks ago.
Lastly came across a thread about how you are positioned in the theatre. He is hoping do my tvh and remove remaining ovary with keyhole but said he wouldn't really know until he saw how "stuck down things were" his words. Is this because I had my ovary removed years ago with abdominal surgery, is that likely to happen again.

Claireylou

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 02:58:35 PM »

Hi Caroline,

I had my catheter out the day after my surgery. First few days my wee stung a bit but it soon went.

My consultant was unsure about whether she could do mine via keyhole but she managed it despite the fact that I had tons of adhesions from previous surgery.

Maybe give your consultants secretary a ring to see if a date has been provided for you?

Best wishes, Claire

Carolinehunter

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2017, 08:03:21 PM »

Hi hurdity thanks for the reply, I've got all this noted down can't get a go appointment til 3rd of November. My go is a horsey man also so I expect he will understand and from what I've read I definitely want the testosterone as well.
Felt a huge movable lump in my lower abdomen one morning but could/ can only feel it when my bladder is really full.

Carolinehunter

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 07:25:48 AM »

No date as yet but the list is still to be made up for the 31st October (god I hope I'm on that list) pre op assessment is tomorrow and they have put me on a cancellation list too. All feeling very real now .

Is there anything I should be asking at my pre op.

Managed to get a gp appointment for nxt Tuesday also so will ask all my questions on HRT.

Hurdity

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 04:14:02 PM »

Hope the appointment goes well!

Hurdity x
Pages: 1 [2]