Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Tired  (Read 1970 times)

margaret

Tired
« on: October 12, 2017, 11:05:49 AM »

Hi Ladies, I'm so tired, I had a virus the other week and thought it was that, but I can't explain it.  I went to the doctors and he gave me a blood test everything fine apart from border line sugar, what happens is I get to the point where I just need to lie down and rest, my arms feel heavy and even when I'm drying my hair I have to keep stopping.  I'm post menopause and don't take HRT apart from having the Estring in every three months x :(

Hurdity

Re: Tired
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 05:03:19 PM »

Sorry to hear this margaret. Was it the Hba1C test or fasting blood sugar? if your blood sugar metabolism is beginning to go a bit wonky or you have the beginnings of insulin resistance this can make you tired if blood sugar is taking a while to reduce after meals. Were you given advice about diet and what is your intake of sugar/refined carbs like?

Also some women get tried as a result of low oestrogen and testosterone in post-menopause. How long since menopause and how old are you? Have you thought of HRT or maybe you are unable to take it? I presume you also had thyroid and iron tests and do you know what your TSH level was?

I hope you don't mind all the questions but tiredness can be due to all sorts of things as I expect you know and docs often just look at the reading and if it's in the ref range they just say" normal". Some people do not feel well even within ref ranges for some things - especially if near the limit of the range.

Also re the virus - it depends what type it was - sometimes full recovery can take some time? There is also something which used to be called post-viral fatigue syndrome which was (is?) a well-known phenomenon. - but I think has now been included under the umbrella syndrome CFS. However you would want to explore every possible cause for your fatigue before  thinking about this. I think PVFS can resolve even after considerable time. This is not an area I know anything about though - except my son had it after glandular fever and took a year or so to recover.

Hurdity x

margaret

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 06:45:34 PM »

Hi Hurdity thank you for your reply, I didn't have a fasting blood test they said my blood glucose was 43,  I was also tested for liver kidney thyroid and anemia these all came back ok.  I started the menopause when I was 52 I'm now 57.  I was having an awful time every symptom you could have I got and the insomnia was terrible.  I asked for HRT and felt wonderful for 2 years then they changed it to a one where you didn't get a monthly bleed, my blood pressure went very high so I had to come off it, to tell the truth I can't say I've felt the same since.  I used to be so active, some days I just can't concentrate.  I take 10mg of Lisinopril for my blood pressure. xx

peri

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 10:12:24 PM »

Forgive me for stating the obvious Margaret but if sequi hrt (monthly bleed) worked for you rather than conti why can't you go back on that.  The cut off date is 60, so if you go back to your GP and quote NICE guidelines which recommended hrt you should be ok. Let us know what you decide and how you get on x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 12:02:04 PM »

I've been really tired for 5 weeks now so asked my GP to do blood tests, thinking low VitD levels.  Results should be back next week. 

I have very busy involved dreams every night which makes me knackered by morning as well as having a mother nagging me over and over about the same issues as she doesn't want solutions.  Once the tests are back I can make decisions.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 04:10:54 PM »

Slightly low VitD levels so have been prescribed capsules.  Will take 1 each evening with supper.

Also discussion about statins  >:(

Ju Ju

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 06:51:55 PM »

I find it can take a long time to to recover my energy after a virus, then one day I can wake up feeling so much better. It's the nature of viruses, particularly if you have other health challenges.

Justjules

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 07:40:43 PM »

CLKD, glad to hear all was ok apart from Vit D.  Everybody I speak to at the moment is tired.... time of year doesn't help and such weird variations in the weather too. Statins.....mmmnn.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 12:16:27 PM »

Tnx.  Took my 1st VitD capsule last night. 

Fortunately we've kept free from viruses so far.