Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: supplements  (Read 2261 times)

robotwars

supplements
« on: October 18, 2017, 04:53:25 PM »

Hi! I have been trying a gluten free diet, but my joints really ache and I feel light headed, I just wondered if anyone knew if when on this diet your body is low in some vitamin, wondering about taking a supplement but not sure which one? I have been trying the diet due to IBS symptoms and access acid. stomach feels more settled but my body aches and feel light headed, mind you this could be peri-menopause.....!!!!

robotwars

Re: supplements
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 05:44:44 PM »

I'm just eating at meal times, so breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack then evening meal....

robotwars

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 08:48:35 PM »

Thanks sparkle, I have B12 injections every 12 weeks, as my body cant tolerate B12

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 02:35:19 PM »

12 weeks = 3 months.  I have a slightly low VitD level so appropriate capsules have been prescribed.  I also have a nerve in the back of my neck which when I move suddenly, causes a light-headed feeling.

robotwars

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 03:59:34 PM »

I've been told it has to be 12 weeks apart,  they do a blood test once a year

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 02:21:02 PM »

53 rings a bell but I can check at my next appt..

dangermouse

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 09:16:30 PM »

Cutting out gluten shouldn't affect your nutrients, it can make your bowels more dry though due to the nature of gluten free foods.

Do you know for sure that you have excess acid as this is more common when very young and acid reflux is more likely caused by the opposite, too little acid, so food is sitting too long in the stomach and regurgitates and can burn the oesophagus? Good digestive enzymes like Udo's can solve this problem.

Perimenopause can also cause slow transit (like in pregnancy) where food is held for longer to absorb maximum nutrients.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 10:39:21 AM »

It seems to be very common for digestive problems to emerge when meno hits. To me it seems obvious that the fluctuations and drop in hormone levels will effect many areas of the body. I feel that my digestive issues are very largely down to low oestrogen now I'm off HRT. 
I do take BEANO with meals - a digestive enzyme treatment that is recommended on the NHS website and this seems to help with the reflux, bloating, gas etc.  For me, my digestive transit is really fast - I tend to open my bowels 2-3 times a day, so I'm sure I am not absorbing nutrients as well as I should. I am eating a very bland and simple diet (small amounts often) with added supplements to ensure I get enough of the right nutrients - this has helped reduce the flare ups of the Diverticulitis - I had a particularly nasty flare up of Diverticulitis earlier in the year after taking pain killers and PPIs for back pain - it was quite frightening - won't be taking NSAIDS or PPIs again.
I have a bread maker and make loaves that are 50/50 white and brown flour as this seems to calm my digestive system, giving just the right amount of fibre.  Unless you are actually diagnosed as gluten intolerant I feel avoiding bread may not be the answer for everyone.  I have cut out milk, so drink soy or oat milk instead, as I have found I get less acid reflux with this change and I eat lactose free cheese so I get enough calcium.
We all have to experiment till we find what suits us.
Robotwars - if your joints are aching, then omega 3 and Vitamin D are essential and actually lots of brisk walking.

Oh! the joys getting older.  Dg x

dangermouse

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 03:25:41 PM »

I think with regards gluten, if you're not coeliac, our brains will still see gluten as a toxin and put more stress on our bodies to eject it until it's gone. However, the dryness of gluten free bread etc. can also cause digestive stress.

Probably the best way is to keep gluten naturally low, without cutting it all out, and avoiding the factory made ‘gluten-free' stuff.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 03:47:28 PM »

Brain doesn't but the gut may do : but the only way to be absolutely certain is to have the correct checks done - a relative has Chron's disease which took several years to diagnose and she is in and out of Hospital several times a year  :-\.  One can develop intolerances during menopause ...... bugga ........... the way was to cut out foods singly for 3-4 months then gradually re-introduce it to see what effect it has on the gut.

robotwars

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 09:05:31 PM »

thanks for all your replies, I have started taking a probotic pill and vitamin D, will look into omega 3,
I have decided to stay on the gluten free then start adding things in one at a time and see how I feel. fingers crossed I feel ok.  :)