Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Shoulder  (Read 1854 times)

Cassie

Shoulder
« on: October 09, 2017, 08:07:18 AM »

Morning ladies I have for the past month or so noticed that I have limited movement in my left shoulder, I used to be able to reach around to the middle of my back, no longer, sigh! Also finding it difficult to tie up my hair, fastening a bra strap behind would be impossible.
I have no pins or needles just pain when I try to lift my shoulder too high or if I give it a yank. It seems to actually be more lower down, although I am saying shoulder but more in the soft tissue/muscle about 10cm down from the shoulder. I guess I would need an X ray in order to determine the problem but just wondering if anyone has had a similiar thing and if physio helped or if surgery is usually the only answer, I have tried googling but just seem to get rotator cuff issues but not even sure that it is this. I tried a stick on patch for sore muscles but it did not seem to help nor does sleeping on a warm pad so am sure that it is deeper into the tissue and is def aggravated by movement not when my arm is still. Oh the joys of  ageing ... :)

Snoooze

Re: Shoulder
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 12:49:06 PM »

Hi Cassie,

I have two friends who had this shoulder problem. It was the rotator cuff. They both had surgery. Limited movement is one of the signs and the things you now can't do like fastening a bra strap and reaching to the middle of your back etc are signs.

It could also be frozen shoulder which you can have a steroid injection for (mother in law had that).

I would go see the GP sooner rather than later as although you have no pins and needles as yet, one of my friends who had the rotator cuff started getting a numb arm with it.

Yammy1

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 04:38:39 PM »

Same here, and sometimes when I forget about it and try reach for something, ouch the pain is awful. I find even reaching for the seatbelt in the car or taking bra off is really sore. Yet when I don't stretch it doesn't hurt at all. Next time I'm at doctors I'll say it to her, guess it's just one more symptom to add to the growing list

matildamouse

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 04:19:13 AM »

I had a frozen shoulder and my main symptom was limited movement and pain. Please see your Dr asap for a diagnosis to prevent it from progressing further if it is a frozen shoulder. Mine was resolved with a cortisone injection after months of physiotherapy (40+ sessions) and painmeds which both did not help.

My other shoulder started playing up a while ago and I  tried Chinese acupuncture by a properly trained Dr in Chinese medicine. It worked like a miracle within 3 treatments and I had no further problems up to today. Wish I had this knowledge with my first shoulder...

All the best! And a hug.x

Cassie

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 08:06:32 AM »

Thankyou ladies I have seen my Dr I am not entirely sure that it is rotator cuff as the actual site of the pain seems to be from the muscle more behind my shoulder anyrate he has given me a course of homeopathic injections and if that does not help will have to see what the next step is, appreciate your feedback.  He thought I may have injured it by walking the dog and having him yank on the lead, not sure but something has caused the pain....

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 04:52:37 PM »

Hi Cassie

Sorry to hear about your shoulder problem. I had a shoulder thing a couple of years ago - which took about 18 months to completely resolve!!! I think it started because I fell down the stairs running down to get a phone-call and fell on it  wrongly. I couldn't do up my bra or take T-shirts off by crossing my arms, and couldn't do stuff in Pilates when lying on one side. I went to doc and they referred me for physio - who diagnosed it with some weird name like subachromial impingement. Gave me some exercises to do - one of which was impossible (but like trying to move parts of your jaw) so I went back once and then didn't bother and it just got better on its own. I was surprised that movement was still restricted for so long and only improved very gradually - but maybe to do with my age (mid 60's). However I am back to normal now  ::) .

I would say to anyone else who has started to get joint or movement problems - lose weight if you need to, take lots of exercise and including Pilates (and gardening!) which keeps everything supple and moving, and if near menopause do think about HRT if you are able to (Cassie I know this doesn't apply to you!)!

When I was in mid 50's I started to get weird pains in my hips and knees during exercise (I wasn't doing much but had two teenage boys at home which kept me busy) - and this was when I started taking more exercise - and I thought I was far too young to get this sort of pain, so took myself in hand, lost weight, started HRT and took regular exercise and can honestly say it was the best thing I did as I get very few joint aches now (some wobbly ankles in morning a bit but OK once up and about).

Sounds like yanking the lead might cause something to pull even without realising - and hope it resolves for you Cassie - but might take a while!

Hurdity x

Cassie

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 07:15:50 AM »

Thankyou Hurdity, you hit the nail on the head regarding the taking off of shirts and pull over the head jumpers which involve crossing the arms have to get my OH to assist am hoping that it will sort itself out over time.

Snoooze

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 03:07:17 PM »

Hope it feels better soon Cassie. Muscular problems can be very painful and restrictive and can take time to heal.