Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Visiting London  (Read 3469 times)

groundhog

Visiting London
« on: September 13, 2017, 08:45:32 AM »

So tomorrow we go to London on the train to see an expert in abdominal fistula, feel like a country bumpkin lol.
We've booked the train and hotel (Kensington Olympia).  We have sort of planned how to get from hotel to consulting rooms etc as we have no idea. 
We have a few hours to spare Friday morning before journey home and we're thinking of visiting the Shard - has anyone been?  Quite fancy the champagne experience but probably horrific rip off 🤔

babyjane

Re: Visiting London
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 09:32:19 AM »

No but DD and SIL have and they said it was mind blowing  :).

DH, DD and DS go to  London tomorrow too, for the weekend.  You might bump into them  :)

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 10:59:20 AM »

I'll wave as we fly into Heathrow! No head for heights here, so haven't been up the Shard or on the London Eye. I enjoy wandering round the quieter back streets looking up at the historical architecture. Why feel like a country bumpkin? You're going to a city of diversity! When sitting on public transport, you will hear people speaking to their phones in languages from all around the world.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 11:25:00 AM »

Natural History Museum
Victoria and Albert Museum
General wander round to get the feel of the City
Oxford Street but that can mean lots of walking
Royal Parks - sit, look, enjoy

I don't like heights.  I think booking the Eye would be wisest, maybe have a look-see ready for your next visit ;-)

Welcome to England ;-) browse round ........

littleminnie

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 11:57:10 AM »

Never been to The Shard but it gets very good reviews.  I would definitely do it if I went to London again. Have the champagne, treat yourself.

Lanzalover

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 02:05:03 PM »

Hi groundhog

I haven't done it myself but I know someone who did and they really enjoyed it and the reviews on trip advisor all appear to be good you get a discount if you pre book. So get it booked go and enjoy yourself
you deserve it and as they say a little bit of what you fancy does you good   ;D

Love Lanzalover x

Salad

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 08:47:13 PM »

My daughter visited The Shard and thinks it's amazing.
I on the other hand would prefer to spend a couple of hours at Lady Dinah's Cat Emporium (Cat Cafe)  :cat88:

groundhog

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 09:06:52 PM »

Thank you for all your suggestions ladies.
Tonight I feel very fluey so hope il be ok in morning xx
Il keep you posted xx

Lanzalover

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 09:08:42 PM »

Fingers crossed

Lanzalover x

JaneinPen

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 09:17:10 PM »

Hi groundhog. I think by now you wouldn't get tickets for the London eye for a morning slot on Friday.  You would for The Shard. Ticket price is around £25/26.00.  The Tate has a viewing platform around it now for free. Lots of cafes nearby but obviously not the view you would get from The Shard

walkingthedog

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 07:12:43 AM »

Hope you have a safe and enjoyable journey today and that all goes Well at appointment xc

JaneinPen

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 09:32:08 AM »

Good luck for later Groundhog

Ju Ju

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 03:47:50 PM »

I hope you were well enough, GH. I thought of you and mentally waved as we circled and circled and circled round London waiting for a slot to land.

robotwars

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 08:13:19 PM »

I have visited the shard, it was great, definitely pre-book and don't forget to go to the toilets at the top, fantastic view!!! LOL

babyjane

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 08:49:29 AM »

Explosion on the tube at Parsons Green this morning at 8.30.  They know when to strike don't they  >:(

Sincerely hoping all our loved ones in London stay safe.  Thinking of Groundhog and her husband, and my husband and his brother in London for the weekend (they thoughtfully sent me a text earlier in case I saw the news), also our son working in London.