Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Flu  (Read 7203 times)

Happytobe

Flu
« on: September 08, 2017, 07:50:38 PM »

Anyone got this flu-like virus at the moment? A week in and not feeling much better. Terrible cough, congestion, still running low grade fever although was a lot higher for a couple of days. Feeling tired, washed out and absolutely no energy to do anything.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Flu
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 07:53:27 PM »

Sounds within normal limits!  Poor you, have  :foryou:

Lots of fluids.  Rest.  Paracetamol as necessary.  Maybe ask the Pharmacist local to you which combination works best for this particular 'bug'.  It can take a while to work through the system and then feeling better can take a while too.

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 08:13:26 PM »

Ahhhhhh - Hate flu.  I had the millennium version.

Is it worth paying for the vaccination?

Happytobe

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 08:31:11 PM »

Have had flu vacine last 2 years as I have asthma. All stains not covered though only those circulating that year. So I suppose this is the start of new season or not flu just a flu -like virus.

dahliagirl

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 08:39:24 PM »

I am not eligible but my husband is immunocompromised so I think I should go for it.

I just remember being so tired and not able to stay awake, not in a nice way (as I usually enjoy a good sleep  ;) ).  You can see why people die of it  :o

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 09:23:30 PM »

I have to have the flu injection. I'm to have the pneumonia one too. I asked for it after having pneumonia, but the GP looked at the criteria and said I wasn't eligible. Brought it up with the consultant, who was as confused as me. He's let the surgery know I'm to have it.

Trey, how awful. We stayed in Denver last year, as DH attended a conference before touring Wyoming, South Dakota, Utah and of course Colorado. Wonderful time. Sorry to hear about the fires. And the worst atmosphere for asthmatics. No wonder you need oxygen. I hope it all calms down along with your lungs.

Ju Ju

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 01:35:56 AM »

Same in England. I'm actually in the USA now as my son and his family live in Maine. Bonding with my 2 year old granddaughter. :)

Happytobe

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 04:06:13 PM »

Thanks for good wishes.
I'm not feeling any better at all. Beginning to despair.

Happytobe

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 06:04:27 PM »

Sorry to hear you are no better Trey and yes I hope that next week we both see significant improvement.  I think these illness make us feel low too and tearful which doesn't help.

Butterfly22

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 08:29:50 AM »

I had the flu a couple of years ago and was so poorly, I couldn't get out of bed for two weeks and took a month to start doing normal things again.n
My appetite went, my body was aching all over (what I imagine it's like when a drug addict comes off drugs ) blocked nose, sore throat like never before, I couldn't even swallow, hot the list goes on.
All I could do is rest and take tablets every four hours although I was having cocodomal two hours later ibuprofen.
I tried to have lots of fluids and had hot water, lemon, honey,  cinnamon and coconut oil. Was comforting, I also had night nurse on a night.
Hope you feel better soon but rest rest rest and look after yourself xxxx

Snoooze

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 04:21:32 PM »

Lots of reports in the press today that it is going to be a really bad flu year. This puts me in a dilemma as I used to pay for the flu jab but after a bad infection, straight after one year, I have been scared to have it since. I worry that it compromise my immune system.

Don't know what to do now.  ???

Best to seek advice from your GP I would say.

Butterfly22

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 09:16:35 PM »

I won't be getting it as could make me pretty poorly having ME, but dose worry me as do not want flu again xxp

babyjane

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 02:32:04 PM »

I have paid for a flu jab for years.  I used to get it but then they tightened up the criteria.  I found it so helpful that i decided to pay for it until I am 65.  It was a dose of flu that triggered my ME and the vaccine has worked for me ever since  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 02:49:51 PM »

One should only have a vaccination if one is healthy ;-)  ::)

When I had 'flu - twice - I went to bed feeling absolutely fine and woke the next morning in dreadful pain in the joints, very hot/cold - light sensitive, unable to lift my head from the pillow ........... I had never had it previously nor since.  The episodes were about 12 month's apart.  Advised to take pain-relief and drink plenty ......... avoiding Paracetamol as it is a dangerous drug in that it is included in many products in the UK - and can easily be taken over and above the 'safe' dose ..........

Katejo

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2017, 08:56:31 PM »

One should only have a vaccination if one is healthy ;-)  ::)

When I had 'flu - twice - I went to bed feeling absolutely fine and woke the next morning in dreadful pain in the joints, very hot/cold - light sensitive, unable to lift my head from the pillow ........... I had never had it previously nor since.  The episodes were about 12 month's apart.  Advised to take pain-relief and drink plenty ......... avoiding Paracetamol as it is a dangerous drug in that it is included in many products in the UK - and can easily be taken over and above the 'safe' dose ..........
so which painkiller should one take if not paracetamol  ( which I use)? I keep to the recommended limits and know to check contents for other products.
Pages: [1] 2