Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: If you could share one thing...?  (Read 5553 times)

Ju Ju

Re: If you could share one thing...?
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2017, 08:04:18 PM »

Oh feeling love for some people is difficult. I had to seek help as I was so angry about the way my Mum treated me as a child and the way my BIL treated me with such hostility. But such anger was only harming me. I love my Mum. I don't always like her, but that's ok. And my BIL, silly man, has lost out on rewarding relationships with DH, me, the children and now grandchildren. His choice. Very isolated man. Love? Sorry, no. Pity? Yes.

dulciana

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2017, 08:40:58 PM »

Something I discovered in my late forties was that you don't have to be 20-something to succeed in life.  What you do need is belief in yourself and a burning desire to succeed.  In 2008 and in 2014 (by then aged 55), I achieved basic and then professional-level qualifications in what had started as a related sideline in the 1980's.   My passion had become my profession.

I know my post is nothing to do with relating to people, or whatever, but I just want to follow it up by saying: if you still have ambitions, even at our time of life, please do go for it.    By the time I graduated, even though I had a degree I thought I'd never amount to very much.   And for twenty five years, I was pretty well right.  A massive door opened in 2005, though, and the rest is history (see above).   I suppose the vast majority of people who achieve success do so in their 20's and 30's.  Well, I hope that my story is proof that it can also be done later in life.    :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 05:48:33 AM by dulciana »

Ju Ju

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2017, 08:59:43 PM »

You are an inspiration, dulciana! Particularly to me.

dulciana

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2017, 05:49:29 AM »

Thanks Ju Ju!  :thankyou:

dulciana

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2017, 05:52:26 AM »

I think there is a skill to really listening though, would you agree Trey? Its not about just staying quiet and thinking about what you are going to say next. Its about focusing on the other person, the words that they choose and their body language. I guess in medicine that it is very important but I agree that this is another valuable lesson for life.

Your observations as a nurse reminded me of a poem that my god father taught me as a little girl Trey,

A wise old owl lived in an oak,
The more he saw the less he spoke,
The less he spoke,
The more he heard,
Why can't we be like that wise old bird?

Well there's some wise old birds on this forum thats for sure!

Thanks for all your pearls of wisdom ladies.  :)

Wow, Sooby - that's one my gran used to say to us.  I'd forgotten it so thanks for posting it.

Sooby

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2017, 10:16:50 AM »

Dulciana,

in the words of Henry Ford - "If you think you can, or you think you can't, your probably right"

If you dont believe that you have any worth then you will selectively ignore any evidence to the contrary in favour of evidence that supports your belief.

I'm So pleased to hear that you changed your opinion of yourself and realised your potential, your passion and your dream. ;D Go for it girl! It's never to late to decide to strive what you want or to start believing in yourself. We all deserve to shine.  ;) 

dulciana

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2017, 01:56:02 PM »

Thanks Sooby.  It's been a lot of hard work (it still is!) and I've had to battle quite a few psychological gremlins along the way but the rewards outweigh these gremlins by miles.

Suzi Q

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2017, 03:21:56 PM »

A happy life and good freinds x
Pages: 1 2 [3]