Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Painful pap (smear test) experience  (Read 6304 times)

Greenfields

Painful pap (smear test) experience
« on: July 26, 2017, 10:33:09 PM »

Haven't posted for a while (BTW I just completed my Masters in Social Work in Canada for those who know of me from earlier posts - yay!).  But had a query about the pap test and menopause.

I've never had any issues with painful pap tests previously - but today I had a very painful experience and I wondered afterwards whether it had anything to do with the menopause?  Just curious as I googled a moment ago and saw others had had this experience and various factors were attributed to it - including thinning of the vaginal lining?

It wasn't too painful initially when the nurse practitioner inserted the thing in - but then it seemed to go very high up into me and that was very painful and then when she started to clip for samples, it was excruciating!   

I'm conscientious about going for tests but after this latest one, I'm not looking forward to the next one!  So just wondered what people who've experienced painful tests have done for subsequent tests that might help?

Thanks! :) 

Salad

Re: Painful pap (smear test) experience
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 11:05:38 PM »

Just popped in to say well done on your Masters  :congrats:

And I'm thinking it does make sense that menopausal changes could well cause problems - no personal experience but others might be able to help.

daisysareyellow

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 12:06:47 AM »

I have a moderate prolapse, but my doctor uses a brush and sweeps the cervix. I haven't had one of those "bitey" type paps done in years.

Greenfields

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 01:08:17 AM »

Thanks for the congrats!  I am doing well - got to look for work (oops!) but so pleased to have completed the course and I really want to work in the area of supporting women through menopause.  Not sure there are many openings here in Canada yet but I plan to write and bring attention to the area regardless of where I end up working!  But have taken July off to get some rest after all the studies!

BTW I could never have got this far without all of you on the board ... honestly it was a bedrock when I really really needed it - I am so grateful to you all.

Thanks for the info you posted daisysareyellow - I am definitely going to raise this issue with the hospital gynaecologist I'm due to see in December as I don't want to experience again what I experienced today!  It still feels sore!  From what I've read online it seems that some women are prescribed vaginal oestrogen (I think) and I would take that if I have to have a bitey type pap in the future.  It's either that or I would want my entire cervix and vagina to be anaesthetized!  At the moment I'm on oral progesterone (it's called prometrium in Canada) and a gel oestrogen called estrogel and the prescription works for me at present which is great ... except when I'm having a pap smear! 

daisysareyellow

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 01:31:31 AM »

Hi Greenfields
I have only had one painful pap smear in my life. The doctor who did it was extremely rude and quite obviously did not want to do a pap smear. I learned my lesson that day and only get females to do them. We have two female doctors at my local clinic. Both are older women and go out of their way to make me comfortable. I even had a medical student stand in and watch my last one. My brothers are doctors, so I always allow students in if requested as they need to learn somehow. The instrument they use is a small brush along with the instrument to hold the vagina open (speculum ?) Anyway they brush the opening of the cervix with the brush a few times to get a good amount of cells and apply it to the slide. At most, a pap smear may be uncomfortable, but if it is really painful and you are still in pain afterwards, that is not normal! 

Greenfields

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 02:45:35 AM »

Thank you daisysareyellow - yep, I've never had a painful pap test before.  It was with a nurse practitioner - she was nice but did seem a bit nervous although I had never met her before ... so I don't know whether her technique contributed to it.  She gave me a physical exam afterwards and that wasn't painful.  Looking around online though it seems like it's an issue for a fair few women.  I've just been looking at natural moisturisers for vaginal atrophy in case that's what's going on and noticed a UK company make one which is prescribed on the NHS!  Gosh I miss the NHS!  Here in Canada they have a health insurance system and it only covers the costs of medications in a hospital - not those prescribed outside of the hospital.  If you don't have medical insurance through your employer then you have to pay for prescribed medications you use at home in your daily life - and the costs are a lot more than in the UK because Canada has yet to instigate a national drug plan so the drug companies can charge a lot more for medications as the price hasn't been negotiated on a national (or provincial) level (as far as I'm aware). 

Maryjane

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 05:27:27 AM »

Congratulations 😊

Yes it is common for lots of ladies , it comes under the heading of " vaginal atrophy " local oestrogen will help to start using ( if you already don't ) and make the next one easier.

They can use a virgin/ small speculum which should be more comfortable, medium large ones are not needed as per my gynae.

Maryjane

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 06:32:30 AM »

:rofl:

When I had my last Mona Lisa , I " fanny farted" 😳😳😳right in the gynaes face , we both 😂😂😂. Mortifying.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 06:34:26 AM by Maryjane »

Salad

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 08:41:22 AM »

Just choked on my cup of tea laughing as I read the last two comments- Brilliant! 

:lol:

Greenfields

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 02:36:03 AM »

That gave me a giggle! I love you guys!  ;D ;D ;D

Lanzalover

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 09:16:35 AM »

That made me laugh 😀 ( sorry girls ! )

Lanzalover x

Palmtree

• First Flush
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 11:47:41 AM »

Hello ladies, I know this thread has been dormant for a while but I just thought I would post this article here https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/feb/16/my-life-in-sex-cervical-cancer-survivor-vaginal-dilator  .  I find internal examinations very uncomfortable/painful, but think this lady's experience shows that we need to keep up with smear tests (PAP tests) even after menopause.  The recall in the UK is every 5 years after age 55 I think.  Reading the comments here, it might be worth having a discussion with a Dr about how to minimize pain and general post-mono vaginal and vulval health.  Talking to my friends, it does seem that the post-meno woman's needs are mostly overlooked when it comes to pain and discomfort generally and especially if we need an examination.

Lanzalover

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 05:48:06 PM »

Hi Palmtree

You have reminded me I need to make an appointment to have mine done so thank you and :welcomemm:

Lanzalover

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 07:13:56 PM »

Mine was 2 years ago, I found the OK letter yesterday.

Welcome Palmtree - browse round, make notes ;-)

Dorothy

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 09:09:11 PM »

I had to have my last one under GA and was in pain for 6 weeks after.  What I find really annoying is the patronising little articles that assume women avoid tests because they are embarrassed or it's 'a bit uncomfortable'.  When you are experiencing that level of pain, you don't have any energy left over to worry about embarrassment! 
Pages: [1] 2