Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 52 out now. (June 2018)

twitter facebook blogger

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Late Menopause Over 55  (Read 7768 times)

funnell

• First Flush
Re: Late Menopause Over 55
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2017, 10:25:20 PM »

Hi all. Il just briefly repeat what i put in the new member
site before i got advised to look at this site which suits me
as i was 58 last month and periods as regular as clockwork sometimes 3wk,usually 3+half wks apart.dreadful pmt ,painful cramps.bleeds last 3-6 days,heavy.am i a freak,its about time all this stopped.
womb scan shows fibroids which i know iv had at least 15 years,had iron tabs,eat plenty meat,vit c together so not aneamic. il just have to put up with it and hope to get periods over with by age 60.

Machair

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2017, 06:49:23 AM »

Hello,

Not sure if you read my reply over on your other post.I will repeat some of it though as I know you must be worried.

Menopause can happen later for some women and when I asked the gynaecologist over on WebMd, the very respected Dr Mary Jane Minkin, she said that it can happen as late as 58/59.

You are certainly not abnormal being older, but it does worry us a lot I know as I am 57 and my last period was April, but I am still very hormonal so am expecting another bleed.You certainly sound very hormonal with the PMT.

What I tend to have is many days of ovulation type mucus that doesn't just occur mid cycle. This indicates no ovulation. Have you any signs like this that you can interpret? Your description sounds like normal ovulation and periods to me as you still have regularity in terms of length and frequency.

I think late menopause is more common that is thought and you may have gaps soon.

Have you any sisters or a Mum with similar late menopause experiences? It often runs in families. My great gran had babies in her very late forties. My Mum had a hysterectomy and ovary removal in her early forties, and I have no sisters so my history is difficult to interpret.

Anyway you are not alone please join us on this thread you are so welcome and we can support each other.

Kathleen

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2017, 07:36:51 AM »

Hello laziest.

I don't know how I missed this thread! Mind you I had my last period at 54 so maybe I don't qualify for this group lol.

I just wanted to add to the general information being gathered here. My periods were regular and quite heavy, not varying at all. I then missed a few months,  had a bit of spotting instead of a period and  nothing since. That was seven years ago and I struggled on for three years before trying HRT and I'm still experimenting with that.

It's good to know that other women have a late menopause and that it's just a variation on the norm.

Take care ladies.

K.

Machair

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2017, 08:59:33 AM »

Well ladies start the clock again as PMT followed by light spotting/brown discharge greeted me today. First since April but very hormonal all through this time, especially 2 weeks ago, so was expecting it. If this is the last I will be 58 post in a years time.

Hurdity

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2017, 05:37:44 PM »

Wow Machair - were you disappointed to see this? I wonder if it will be a proper period? Many of us don't know what age we would experience menopause because we start HRT before getting there eg I had last natural period at 53.5 but started HRT soon after so might have been 55 or so.

Hurdity x

Kathleen

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2017, 05:58:06 PM »

Hello Machair.

Wow. It's incredible to think that the time between an early and late menopause can be about 20 years!

I used to talk to someone who worked in a supermarket and she told me her periods stopped for nearly a year and then started to be regular again at 57. I haven't seen her for a long time so I'm not sure what happened next. Perhaps she has been approached by scientists who want to study all the intricacies of the menopause and develop effective, safe  and side effect free treatments for the benefit womankind now and in the future, but probably not. Would be nice though wouldn't it!

Whatever happens with this bleed I wish you well.

K.

Machair

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2017, 07:37:35 AM »

Yes Hurdity I was fed up to see this but I have been expecting it. So far I have escaped all hot flushes vaginal dryness and all these other things that indicate late perimenopause so it wasn't a surprise. Still I suppose it is all happening less often now and getting lighter which I guess is the norm- just rather late! As you say maybe you too would have been later if you had not started HRT - were you regular when you started it at 53.5?

Hurdity

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2017, 07:51:34 AM »

No they were sporadic - I think I was late peri-menopause but very late menopause is in my family (I'll pm you). At least you have escaped the horrible menopause symptoms because you have plenty of oestrogen - and hopefully it means that they won't appear at all! Did I read a couple of years ago or so that you had a period after 11 months - you thought you had finished? Did you get any flushes during this time? My flushes and sweats always came on in the gaps between periods during late peri-menopause.

Hurdity x

sparkle

• and breathe ...
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2017, 04:18:25 PM »

Oh Machair, how frustrating!! 

Machair

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2017, 04:20:32 PM »

I know and it is struggling to get going and I have PMT off the planet! How are you Sparkle was your scan ok?
I think you will beat me to the finish line in June next year!

sparkle

• and breathe ...
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2017, 04:30:43 PM »

That's tough Machair, pmt is horrible.  I wonder if this will be a proper bleed for you. 

My ovaries were both AWOL this time, although she did think she caught a glimpse of the left one!  Trouble is she kept on saying there were was a lot of bowel in the way so of course my anxiety went into orbit as to whether that's a bad thing!  I have a gp appt on Monday to ask about it. 

Machair

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2017, 10:36:57 AM »

How did you get on Sparkle at the doctors? I was thinking of you. So sorry I didn't post earlier Mum is getting worse so it has been a night and day bedside marathon.x

sparkle

• and breathe ...
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2017, 05:06:12 PM »

Hi Machair, I'm so sorry to hear about your mum, the worry must be taking its toll on you.  Hope you're ok. X

It went ok.  I'm not as bloated anymore so wasn't as concerned as I was.  I mentioned my worry that my bowels were mentioned so much but she wasn't worried, said it was probably wind which is more than likely!  She said my smear test is due in March, mammogram due in Jan and she would repeat the ca125 test around that time so that was fine with me.

S x

Suzi Q

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2017, 12:49:53 PM »

I am starting this thread as recently there have been one or two members joining in the category of women experiencing late menopause with periods going on after 55, and they seem to struggle finding somewhere to gain help and support. I am in this category, and have had the benefit of a wonderful thread on here that I started, but often women can't find what they are looking for as it has become a lovely chatty thread, but in that a new member may find it hard to find information.

It would be wonderful if this forum could have two sections- one for early menopause under 45 and one for late over 55 - I think there would be much support for this. In the meantime please contribute to this thread if you are 55 or over and still not post menopausal. Lets also keep this factual so that other ladies can find help and support.

So with this in mind. I am 57 and still not quite there- last period April. I have no hot flushes and am still very hormonal at times, but my periods are now lighter and much less often, but are only spotting and can be managed with a panty liner. I have 4 children all grown up and have CFS/ME. When my friends were post menopausal at 52 I was still as regular as clockwork. My grannie lived to 102 and her Mum had babies in her late forties. So feel free to join me and let's have a late menopause thread.

You lucky thing you i went over at 37 early meno.
It used to be many 9n here were over 50s and still had periods. But your right they dont seem to be any now! I post normally only on Atrophy but i read your post
I had exactly the same only the other way round.
There will be lots of help 9n here for you xxxx

Patience

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2017, 06:11:51 PM »

Suzi Q, I hope the reason the over 50s have left is because they felt better! 

I'm experiencing a late menopause myself.  I'm 54 and had my last period in August.  I hope it was the last one, because I'm so over the hormonal roller coaster ride.  I'll be 55 in December.

Believe it or not, my gynecologist said to me, "You know most women have had their last period at 50-51, don't you?"  As if I had any control over my still cycling ovaries!!  I know there can't possibly be any eggs in there to push out, but they keep trying.  My gyne also said I'll be having a scan and possible biopsy at my next appt.  I'm just praying that my twitchy ovaries are not causing my endometrium to thicken. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6