Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Late Menopause Over 55  (Read 46074 times)

Machair

Re: Late Menopause Over 55
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 06:17:30 PM »

Thank you Carol. I really feel for you with the racing heart and palpitations. I have this issue a lot as I have ME and it is one of the symptoms - I am sure if it starts with the menopause I am going to be in double trouble!

I think the period issues start when the regularly disappears. I was regular until 53/54 and many of my friends of a similar age were nearing the end of 4 years of irregular periods by then, and many were post by this age. Were you regular until your mid fifties too?

I expected to be all finished by 55 but I guess being regular until almost that age meant that was never going to happen!

I am so grateful to you for replying on this thread as there are less of us in this age category here.x

Bluebell

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 08:00:01 PM »

Sorry to hear you have ME. That's a very debilitating illness.

I was pretty regular in my fifties. Year after year I kept thinking surely they'll stop soon. Friends were already post menopausal and I was still buying sanitary wear. 🤦🏼‍♀️
Unfortunately I hadn't heard of Menopause Matters at that time.  Thank goodness I know about it now, it's so good when you have a problem to just check in and see if anyone else has had it and how they treated it. X

Machair

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017, 07:41:42 AM »

Yes Carol that is exactly how I feel! All my friends have stopped years ago and I am still going! Thank goodness for this website forum and for wonderful people like yourself who make it all seem more normal!

I wish I could ask my Mum about her menopause, but she had a hysterectomy in her early forties including ovary removal- so hers was surgically induced, and I have no sisters.I think having a family can help as often experiences can be similar in terms of age of onset. I am keeping records to help my daughters when it is their turn!

Jemp

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2017, 12:38:25 PM »

I'm another who had a late menopause. I had my last period at about 57. I didn't realise this was unusual. I was a late starter though so I don't know if that is significant. It was only when I came on here for advice re frequent weeing that I realised that a lot of the things I had been experiencing such as depression and anxiety and bladder problems were due to menopause. I thought in my ignorance that having survived the hot flushes that I had got away with it! How wrong I was!

Machair

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2017, 12:43:29 PM »

Hi Jemp- so lovely to hear from you and welcome to this thread. it is so lovely to have a kindred spirit! Did your periods get lighter in the end. My last one was April but it was really light and only needed panty liners. No hot flushes yet. Are you a few years post now?

Jemp

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2017, 12:54:19 PM »

Hi yes they eventually got lighter. They had been awful up to then. Frequent flooding etc. and a GP who just said It's your age! I seemed to have flushes for ages. I'm now 5 years past that and still get occasional flushes. I had no idea about VA though and am still not convinced it is the full story of my weeing problems. Mentally I seem to have become very 'flat' - I don't know how else to explain it! Don't seem to take pleasure in the things I did before and I am certainly less confident and outgoing. I have found children leaving home for good and parents aging/dying very sad- I sometimes feel I grieve for the days when the house was full and I was always busy.

Machair

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2017, 12:58:52 PM »

I really understand what you are saying. I had 4 children and they now live in 4 different countries- Wales, Scotland England and Hawaii. I really miss them all so much. My Mum is very poorly and it is totally draining. Last night I was in A and E at 2am with her, it is so sad and as you say very hard to cope with. At least we can support each other so please feel free to PM me any time you are feeling low.xx

Jemp

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2017, 01:14:27 PM »

:thankyou: very similar situation to mine. I too get the 2am calls. I'm going away for the weekend and will be on tenterhooks all the time in case we have another crisis! We aregoing to see the kids however including one flying in from the Middle East . Take care. Xxx

Machair

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2017, 01:18:28 PM »

So similar to me. Last weekend we were in London seeing three of the children, and we just arrived home in time for the next crisis. It is absolutely draining- I feel like a zombie today and am just about to drive 30 miles again to the hospital to see Mum. Have a wonderful weekend with your family.x

Jemp

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2017, 09:40:19 PM »

Thank you!x

Machair

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2017, 07:33:50 AM »

Hi Sparkle,
 Mum improving very slowly on an IV and comfortable. I must admit to being absolutely worn out by lack of sleep and worry. Mum has no idea where she is or what is happening which is a good thing.

I still feel though Sparkle that she has had an amazing life with endless holidays and a lifestyle many would have dreamt of and she is 85. When I think of your dear sister and what she went through it doesn't seem anywhere near as sad to see Mum as she is now approaching the end of a natural life span.

So many of my friends have battled adversity with illness in middle age, and some have lost the fight. Mum is lucky compared to some to have had a long and happy life. I hope she goes peacefully before too long as she has no quality of life left and no dignity. She can't walk is doubly incontinent and has no idea who I am.x

funnell

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2017, 10:05:04 PM »

hello.im so pleased to be referred to this site as i posted my 1st
subject as a new member just today at4 14 pm. if the ladies on this site could please spare a moment to read my post id be grateful. thanks

funnell

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2017, 10:25:20 PM »

Hi all. Il just briefly repeat what i put in the new member
site before i got advised to look at this site which suits me
as i was 58 last month and periods as regular as clockwork sometimes 3wk,usually 3+half wks apart.dreadful pmt ,painful cramps.bleeds last 3-6 days,heavy.am i a freak,its about time all this stopped.
womb scan shows fibroids which i know iv had at least 15 years,had iron tabs,eat plenty meat,vit c together so not aneamic. il just have to put up with it and hope to get periods over with by age 60.

Machair

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2017, 06:49:23 AM »

Hello,

Not sure if you read my reply over on your other post.I will repeat some of it though as I know you must be worried.

Menopause can happen later for some women and when I asked the gynaecologist over on WebMd, the very respected Dr Mary Jane Minkin, she said that it can happen as late as 58/59.

You are certainly not abnormal being older, but it does worry us a lot I know as I am 57 and my last period was April, but I am still very hormonal so am expecting another bleed.You certainly sound very hormonal with the PMT.

What I tend to have is many days of ovulation type mucus that doesn't just occur mid cycle. This indicates no ovulation. Have you any signs like this that you can interpret? Your description sounds like normal ovulation and periods to me as you still have regularity in terms of length and frequency.

I think late menopause is more common that is thought and you may have gaps soon.

Have you any sisters or a Mum with similar late menopause experiences? It often runs in families. My great gran had babies in her very late forties. My Mum had a hysterectomy and ovary removal in her early forties, and I have no sisters so my history is difficult to interpret.

Anyway you are not alone please join us on this thread you are so welcome and we can support each other.

Kathleen

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2017, 07:36:51 AM »

Hello laziest.

I don't know how I missed this thread! Mind you I had my last period at 54 so maybe I don't qualify for this group lol.

I just wanted to add to the general information being gathered here. My periods were regular and quite heavy, not varying at all. I then missed a few months,  had a bit of spotting instead of a period and  nothing since. That was seven years ago and I struggled on for three years before trying HRT and I'm still experimenting with that.

It's good to know that other women have a late menopause and that it's just a variation on the norm.

Take care ladies.

K.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10