Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: "Menopause therapy not linked to premature death"  (Read 2970 times)

Hurdity

"Menopause therapy not linked to premature death"
« on: September 13, 2017, 07:52:41 PM »

That is the headline of the article here:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-menopause-hormones/menopause-hormone-therapy-not-linked-to-premature-death-idUSKCN1BN2LQ

New information using data from follow up of WHI study. I haven't read in detail - so this is a journalist article - but it was also reported in Guardian and Times and I expect the tabloids too.

Thought it might be of interest - and I will have a proper read too sometime but wanted to post as it came up in my Twitter notifications :)

Hurdity x

Jintyhilton

Re: "Menopause therapy not linked to premature death"
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 08:38:33 PM »

Hi Hurdity, i read this today too in the Times :-) 

Its a postive message. i do feel annoyed that GP's are not equipped to care for and give consistent advice to women during this stage of life. We should all be given blood screening and then a program with regular follow-ups to ensure a quality life. Not sat in a doctors chair while they google for answers . x

peri

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 08:40:11 PM »

Just read it, good news, thanks Hurdity x

Butterfly22

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 08:48:02 PM »

Thank you sounds interesting xxx

Lanzalover

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 08:51:24 PM »

Thank you Hurdity it sounds very positive.

Lanzalover x

Dana

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 09:24:38 PM »

It's been reported here in Australia too. Good news.

Emma

• Administrator

coldethyl

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 01:46:35 PM »

The caveat being the conclusion - " in the right women." It is good that HRT may not increase risk( note that throughout the OP's posted link they are very careful to say may an awful lot) but I take offence at the remark about breast cancer being detectable and treatable as though it were nothing. The scientist quoted may know lots about gynae issues but I am not so sure on their knowledge of breast cancer- between 30 and 40 % of women with primary bc will go onto develop secondary breast cancer over time, and oncologists are increasingly viewing oestrogen dependent BC as a recurrent chronic disease with up to 50% of women developing secondary tumours by 25 yrs post diagnosis- an acceptable risk to some maybe depending on age and commitments- I'd hope the person interviewed wouldn't be quite so blase about secondary or metastatic breast cancer which is detectable but currently incurable. So yes, HRT fine in the right woman but unless you are at zero risk of BC, I'm not sure you can say not linked to premature death so easily.

Milamam

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 02:01:08 PM »

Good points, Coldethyl, I was thinking along the same lines when reading. What exactly does "the right women" mean?
Milamam