Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Estrogen and Calcium depletion  (Read 3392 times)

AHG

Estrogen and Calcium depletion
« on: June 23, 2017, 09:11:01 PM »

Hi
Have people read anything to suggest that HRT-I am taking Elleste Duet Conti- could actually deplete calcium when I am taking it to combat Osteoporosis and need all my calcium.
This would appear to be the case following a recent blood test.
Many thanks
A

Dancinggirl

Re: Estrogen and Calcium depletion
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 09:17:09 PM »

I have never heard of HRT depleting calcium. Lack of vitamin d and magnesium will stop the absorption of calcium.
Maybe check your diet is rich in these nutrients. HRT will actually protect your bones for the long term so you are doing the right thing by using HRT. DG x

Mbrown001

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 09:23:15 PM »

I haven't heard of that either.
I was always under the impression that HRT protected bones.

If you are deficient then I suspect it's for a different reason. As DG says lack of certain vitamins can cause this.
Are you on any calcium supplements and have you had a scan done if you are concerned.

Mrs Brown

AHG

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 09:16:46 PM »

Thank you for your replies. I have been taking calcium and vitamin D for a month now and have another test on Monday. Both were fine before I started on HRT. I will ask about Magnesium but I do have a good diet with seeds and nuts and oily fish and greens etc.
It's too soon to have another bone scan. The Osteoporosis was diagnosed 9 months ago.
Regards
A

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 09:59:17 PM »

HRT will help the bone density loss - I'm not sure whether it restores the density or not.
Doing good exercise is also crucial- regular brisk walking etc.
Im also not sure whether calcium levels can be tested ??
We excrete any excess calcium and there are many things that prevent calcium absorption. Calcium supplements can only do so much - a good chunk of hard cheddar is the best thing.
Another scan after 6-9 months of HRT might be wise to see whether it is enough to prevent further deterioration. DG x

Katia

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 07:46:14 AM »

I haven't read that, but I have read that calcium supplementation is ineffective.