Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Flu  (Read 7425 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Flu
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2017, 09:18:52 PM »

It's OK if you are well enough to check each product.  But when one has 'flu one often runs a temperature which can muddle thinking processes.  This happened to a 19 year old girl in our village in the 1990s - she was ill, lived alone, took too many products with paracetamol in, which killed her  :'(.

I always use Nurofen with success.  Mum swore by Anadin for everything  ::)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 04:01:29 PM by CLKD »

Katejo

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2017, 08:14:25 AM »

It's OK if you are well enough to check each product.  But when one has 'flu one often runs a temperature which can muddle thinking processes.  This happened to a 19 year old girl in our village in the 1990s - she was ill, lived alone, took too many products with paracetamol in which killed her  :'(.

I always use Nurofen with success.  Mum swore by Anadin for everything  ::)
I limit Nurofen to a minimum because it can irritate the stomach and affects kidneys. Even when ill I make sure that I don't exceed the limit.

Butterfly22

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2017, 07:31:53 PM »

I have paid for a flu jab for years.  I used to get it but then they tightened up the criteria.  I found it so helpful that i decided to pay for it until I am 65.  It was a dose of flu that triggered my ME and the vaccine has worked for me ever since  :)

That's interesting as I've always been told to stay clear . I'm too scared to get it just incase makes me worse! I feel bad enough xxx

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2017, 07:41:18 PM »

'flu is like many illnesses/conditions, 'natural'  ::) but for people who are already compromised, it can be fatal.  But I would resist the jab because the body needs to build up a resistance.  M in L only had 'flu when she was given the jab for which GPs were being paid a tenner a shot.  She had it for 3 years and was very ill each time.  When she didn't have the jab, she was fine.  In all her 88 years she had 'flu symptoms after those injections.

Happytobe

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2017, 08:04:53 PM »

If you have an underlying health condition eg asthma or heart disease you are advised by GP (UK) to have a flu vaccination. Flu can be nasty for anyone but as you say CLKD for anyone who is already compromised it can be really nasty and even fatal. After a bout of flu you have an immunity to that particular strain but no other strain. So you cannot build up total immunity to flu as each year different flu viruses circulate. A flu virus can mutate many times also meaning no immunity even if you have had that strain before. Every year jab is altered to immunise against the particular strains that are thought to be going around. I know there are fears concerning flu jabs but I always have one due to asthma and so does my daughter for the same reason. It's weighing up the risks and I feel in this case it's better not to risk flu with asthma ..or any other condition.

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2017, 08:06:41 PM »

As much as we hate 'flu and fleas, ain't they marvellous in the way that they both reproduce and cling to life  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2017, 09:31:24 AM »

Well, I have a 'pet' cricket right now  ;)

How do you feel this morning, re the 'flu?  I remember the intense aching of various joints at various times of the day, the inability to lift head from pillow, the sweats and shivers ......... fortunately both attacks lasted no longer than 3 days but I was very weak after.  My dog backed into our deep pond the first morning I was out of bed and I don't know to this day how I hauled her out  :-\

Happytobe

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2017, 09:22:41 AM »

I started this thread on 8th Sept when I had been ill for about a week. Finally I am beginning to feel more like myself. It takes a while to recover from flu and also leaves you feeling emotionally low too.
Look after yourselves this Winter ...have a flu jab if you need to, build up your immunity system with good healthy food, take exercise if you can and also enough rest. Here's to a healthy Winter season.

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2017, 11:32:09 AM »

:foryou:

allybally

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2017, 05:15:47 PM »

I can recommend Echinacea ( the herbal drops from Dr Vogel are the best). At the first sign of a cold, I up my Vit C and take the drops twice a day and it has necer let me down, it seems to either stop it or lessens the symtoms/ length of time. I get the flu jab every year free as I am asthmatic and have never had any reaction ti it apart from a bit of a sore arm after.hope you feel better soon x

Annie0710

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2017, 05:41:45 PM »

I'm due for my free jab tomorrow but have felt achy and tired for the last week.  No chestiness

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2017, 07:07:34 PM »

Maybe put it off until you feel well.  Don't over-load your immune system?

Annie0710

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2017, 07:57:17 PM »

I've got errands tomorrow in that area where gp is.  I'm starting full time hours next week so won't get another chance
Pages: 1 [2]