Menopause Discussion > Other Health Discussion

Amitriptyline for pain relief

(1/7) > >>

Dancinggirl:
Hi everyone
Is anyone taking amitriptyline for pain relief?
If so, are you finding it good and are side effects generally tolerable ?
Saw GP today regarding increase in lower back pain, headaches and poor sleep and Amitriptyline was mentioned. I've always been wary of ADs but feel I should be open minded about this option.
Feedback please. DG x

dazned:
My DH was prescribed it a couple of months ago when he pulled something in his back and was in a lot of pain. He said it helped enormously and he never appeared to have any side effects. Hope your pain eases soon.

countrybumpkin:
I know loads of people who take this for pain relief and beter sleep, some have been on it for alot of years.  At the dosage used for pain relief there is no anti depressant effect its just altering your perception of pain.
I personally can't take any anti depr as they give me severe acid reflux but thats just me and I wish I could take it.
Def worth trying to see how you go on with it as it can help enormously.

CLKD:
Didn't know that it was classed as an anti-depressant. I was prescribed it for trigenimal neuralgia years ago, did not do anything at all as I couldn't forecast when the pain would hit.

It can be used successfully for pain relief as can Valium.

Taz2:
Valium is addictive whereas Amitryp is not addictive.

I've had it before for fibromyalgia pain and it worked really well. I found good results on 10mg a night. The first few nights it made me a bit sleepy in the morning but I was still able to function and get to work. Hope it works for you.

Taz x

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version