Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Floaters  (Read 13069 times)

Megamind

Re: Floaters
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 01:45:47 PM »

Thanks for posting this and raising awareness Evelyn as I wouldn't have thought to go and get checked out with floaters as I thought they were quite common. Glad you have been treated now.

I just looked up about Retinal Tears and it says 'Anyone can develop a retinal tear and detachment, but they are more likely to occur in persons who are nearsighted, older, have recently undergone cataract surgery, or have sustained a trauma to the eyes'. 

Annie, the symptoms are: floaters, flashing lights, or a curtain or shade "coming down over one eye".

babyjane

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 01:58:06 PM »

Thank you so, so much for highlighting this.  As a result I rang and spoke to my optician and I have an appointment this afternoon on the NHS 'see and treat' scheme.  I have been bothered with flashing lights, floaters and 'spiders' on the wall for several weeks and thought nothing of it!

Megamind

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 02:21:02 PM »

Let us know how you get on babyjane. Good luck.

Annie0710

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 04:30:08 PM »

Thanks for posting this and raising awareness Evelyn as I wouldn't have thought to go and get checked out with floaters as I thought they were quite common. Glad you have been treated now.

I just looked up about Retinal Tears and it says 'Anyone can develop a retinal tear and detachment, but they are more likely to occur in persons who are nearsighted, older, have recently undergone cataract surgery, or have sustained a trauma to the eyes'. 

Annie, the symptoms are: floaters, flashing lights, or a curtain or shade "coming down over one eye".

Thanks Megamind.  My optician did say any changes then  get back there but me being me I've ignored these flashers that started since then x

Megamind

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 06:41:38 PM »

How did you get on at the Optician Babyjane?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 06:44:46 PM »

Would a session of sneezing be enough to cause them? 

babyjane

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2017, 09:51:02 PM »

Hello thank you for asking, the optician sent me straight to eye casualty and I was there today for 6 and a half hours!!  I have a common age related condition called PVD (posterior vitreous detachment) in both eyes.  So far the retina is not affected but I have been put on 6 monthly checks as this condition can, and probably will, eventually cause a tear as the vitreous continues to break up and detach and early recognition is vital.

Evelyn63

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2017, 11:04:57 AM »

Glad all is well Babyjane and relieved you went and were able to be reassured, think Im still in shock at what might have been !! 

babyjane

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2017, 12:23:45 PM »

Thank you Sparkle and thank you, too, Evelyn63 for your original post highlighting the concerns  :thankyou:

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2017, 12:24:52 PM »

Thanks for the updates.  Without this thread I would have had no idea  ::) so am now forewarned.

babyjane

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2017, 12:28:56 PM »

Just to clarify now I am 'in the know', the 'spiders' are floaters and the flashing lights are arcs of light in the peripheral vision when you turn your head or move your eyes.  This is indicative of the vitreous gel detaching and pulling on the retina but if you get a lot all the time then the retina is in trouble and you need to present at eye casualty where you will be seen immediately, not wait 6 and a half hours like I did yesterday as I did not have a retinal detachment at this point.

Megamind

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2017, 01:03:41 PM »

Good that you went after reading this thread Babyjane. Thanks for the info.

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2020, 09:08:55 AM »

I had a large full stop as I moved my L eye when I first got out of bed.  It's disappeared now.  I've had floaters noticeably in the last 3 weeks - eyes feel alternatively gritty or wet so I need to wipe them.  Often.  No flashing lights or headaches. I need to find out when my optician re-opens. 

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2020, 03:58:30 PM »

:-\
Pages: 1 [2]