Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Still with throat issues  (Read 2329 times)

Donnadoobie

Still with throat issues
« on: June 06, 2020, 06:57:46 AM »

well, 4 months in from originally posting about throat issues and I am still experiencing them.  They are not worse, just annoying.

I have tried treating for silent reflux and post nasal drip and still I have them. intermittently I will agree.

I have a pot of Omeprazole, which we bought in Spain last year, as my husband has a hiatus hernia and likes to keep them in reserve.  I have been taking them for the last three weeks,  stopping on Tuesday.  yesterday my throat felt weird again.  it is not really sore but more achy round the muscles, like they are overworked, which makes me think it is sore, and it feels phlegmy, throat clearing, which could cause throat soreness I suppose. I have had this in and off for the last month.

I am not sure if my anxiety is making this feel bad, I am very anxious about the Covid situation, or whether it is because I stopped the Omeprazole.  I barely noticed during the week as I was busy with work but yesterday I had a whole day off and throat got worse. 

I don't have heartburn but I am wondering about silent reflux.  I think I may contact the GP, to discuss and maybe get an ENT appointment, if they are still doing them.

feeling thoroughly fed up today.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 07:53:07 AM by Donnadoobie »

Cassie

Re: Still with throat issues
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 07:48:21 AM »

Could it be an allergy of sorts. I have been struggling for a long while with extra mucus in my throat, and sometimes going hoarse, then it clears up. Am sure its connected to a type of post nasal drip.
I also wanted to see the ENT but then the covid story came along and havent been able to get an appointment, but lots of allergies doing the rounds @ the moment and have been for weeks now.

Donnadoobie

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 07:51:46 AM »

possibly, I do have hay fever but this has been going on since January.  I got one of the last doctors appointments back in March.  blood count was normal, as was inflammatory markers, so unlikely to be anything sinister.

I am sure anxiety plays a big part but may not be the only issue. 

CrispyChick

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 08:04:58 AM »

Have you tried a nose spray? Perhaps a mild steroid one to reduce inflammation.

My mother in law had a constant cough caused by post nasel drip. It was the nose spray that worked for her.

Not decongestant spray though , as you can only use those for 3 days.

I take beconaise spray every day as well as a strong antihistamine. I have constant allergic rhinitis. This is all recommended by my ENT.

Donnadoobie

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 09:07:47 AM »

I have just started using beconase again, I stopped for a while.  it was suggested by my GP

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 09:12:29 AM »

My GP diagnosed reflux and prescribed Omepralonene [sp] 5 months ago, job done.  Unless I stop taking the capsule which is in a foil protective packet, not a jar - I ran out last week and symptoms of irritating cough returned within 48 hours.

Your condition hasn't worsened.  If it was serious ............

You've had a lot of stress.  Which stops us breathing correctly.

Dierdre

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 09:19:20 AM »

Over the last few years I've become more sensitive to a lot of things that never bothered me before. Scented candles, air fresheners,  lots of dust, strong deodorant sprays (in fact, all highly perfumed sprays) . They cause my voice to suddenly go croaky, then my nose blocks up, this then causes post nasal drip and then the sore scratchy throat. I avoid all of the above as much as possible now and take antihistamines if needed.  Hope this helps.

CrispyChick

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 09:24:08 AM »

I take strong antihistamibes every day. As recommended by ENT and GP. They do build up I think. Maybe try that, to avoid reactions in the first place?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 11:57:00 AM »

As a bit of a meander I hate going into crowded places, i.e. theatres, where people wear all kinds of after shave or perfume  :-\