Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Raynauds ?  (Read 7753 times)

Annie0710

Raynauds ?
« on: February 28, 2017, 06:51:54 PM »

Im sitting in my heated lounge with my index finger continuously going white and numb so each time I'm pulling my jumper over it and warming it on the radiator to bring it back to life.  This is the longest it's happened for and it normally happens a few times a week even if the temperature isn't too cold.  I've been in from work an hour and a 1/4 so it should've warmed up by now.  This has been happening 2 or 3 years now but this phase is the worst

My toes sometimes do it too.  Is this always Raynauds ?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Raynauds ?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 07:17:18 PM »

Have a look-see at their web-site. My husband's family have been affected for centuries  ::) - for Himself it's 2 fingers which go white and dead, once they come back and regain colour, it doesn't happen again that day.  It can be dangerous though and advice should be sought. 

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 08:05:19 PM »

I understand that keeping the shoulders/back of the neck areas warm can help with the upper body, layering is important.  WOOL not man-made fibres.  Liberty bodice anyone?  ::)

Keeping a good layer of warm clothing around the hips might be wise to encourage warm blood into the lower limbs.  My feet feel cold all the while but Himself says they feel OK to him. 

https://www.sruk.co.uk/raynauds

"Keep warm - Do all you can to avoid cold environments, touching cold items or spending time in areas where temperatures fluctuate. Even a slight change in temperature can cause an attack.

"Wear lots of thin layers and loose clothing in order to remain as warm as possible.

"Use hand warmers, gloves and thick socks to keep cold fingers and toes comfortable on chilly days.

"There are some more products to help keep warm in our online shop such as thermal shoe insoles and fleece blanket.

"Relax and pace yourself - Try to steer clear of stressful situations as stress and anxiety can trigger an attack. Take rests when you can to avoid getting too fatigued".
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 08:09:38 PM by CLKD »

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 08:19:14 PM »

My toes usually go numb but a purpley colour and when I was at the Drs last month about the ear problem my right index finger was white and numb the whole time, he said to make a separate appt about it.   I always keep myself warm and always have gloves in my pocket but it still happens even during wearing thick woolen gloves

OH said my older brother gets white fingers whilst playing golf sometimes

handy to know you both have relatives with it and there's no problems

Annie0710

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 08:51:34 PM »

I'd say at least 2 autumn/winter/springs but could be 3

I've been menopausal since 2012 and have developed symptoms over the last 2/3 years that can overlap with other conditions i.e. Dry mouth, nocturnal dry eye, vaginal dryness, hair loss, double vision, dermatography, fluid retention in legs, crashing fatigue

Apart from double vision I've put everything else down to menopause

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 09:05:26 PM »

I agree.  Then let us know!

wombat62

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 09:38:27 PM »

Hi there, it can be miserable having cold fingers and toes!

I used to suffer quite badly when I was in the UK but found having reflexology really helped and then in winter she would massage my hands as well.

When I moved to Oz it got a little better as winter isn't so harsh. However, since I lost all the weight I've found it's come back again! We had a very cold winter and I did suffer, I'd forgotten how miserable it is and in turn makes me extremely grumpy!  Even at other times of the year I can get cold extremities so always take socks with me as if I get into bed and my feet are cold, that's it noooooo sleep!

However, it is worth getting checked out because if it's not a normal for you it can be a sign of disturbed blood flow which can lead to some nasty situations.

Still were a season behind at the moment so I'm hoping that will put winter off for a bit!

Annie0710

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 10:08:12 PM »

Eye clinic was seeing me for about 1.5 years for the double vision (it comes and goes but is there every day especially when I focus on things like tv) but gp referred me to neurologist who said he strongly suspected myasthenia gravis but then said he doesn't think it is.  Thyroid antibodies are ok so not that either

I'm not in a rush but will make an appt in the next few weeks as I think I may need to try oestrogen externally on vagina along with my vagifem internally

I just wondered if white dead finger is always Raynauds or just .... white dead finger ! If that makes sense ! X

Megamind

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 10:13:05 PM »

I think the fact you have it in your toes as well points to Raynauds. I know 3 people with it and they all got it in their 20's/30's so it seems unusual you're getting it later in life so maybe it's  something else but either way, I don't think it's too worrying.

Annie0710

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 10:19:52 PM »

Thank you for your advice and help, I'll update when I get it checked out x

Annie0710

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 11:56:57 PM »

This is the thing though, it doesn't have to be really cold.  12 degrees the other day and 2 dead fingers

I was doing the grandkiddy school run last week with gloves on and right index finger went dead the whole way home , that finger always gets it x

Annie0710

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 04:47:08 PM »

Bless them.  I've found today quite cold but no white fingers....so odd !

Megamind

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 06:15:35 PM »

Annie, what do you do for a job? Are you repetitively using your index finger?

Remember miners used to get 'white finger' from the vibrations of the hand held machinery.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 07:05:37 PM »

That could have been caused by repeated thudding in the palm of the hand, at the wrist or elbow regions. 

I was reading an advert in a Shooting magazine earlier, when I find it I will let you know, it's for wrist warmers .......

Annie0710

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 07:12:51 PM »

Annie, what do you do for a job? Are you repetitively using your index finger?

Remember miners used to get 'white finger' from the vibrations of the hand held machinery.

I work in payroll 2 days a week, I did read about machinery can cause it.  If it were my job why do my toes get affected? It's usually at least the baby toe on my left foot that goes white but I've noticed mostly purple and that goes numb too x
Pages: [1] 2