Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Newbie to this whole menopause thing........  (Read 1884 times)

ToriTeeToe

Newbie to this whole menopause thing........
« on: January 19, 2017, 02:46:53 PM »

Hi All,

I'm just newly joined, after having a hysterectomy in November. I'm 41, and have been struggling with Endometriosis causing cysts on my ovaries, for the past couple of years. I had one ovary removed with several cysts attached and at the time, the remaining ovary was clear & looked healthy enough. However, within a few months, I was in pain & had never ending periods.

So in November I had a hysterectomy. Before the op, I was focusing on the op & the hope that I wouldn't be in pain any more. Since the op, I've realised I need to focus on what it means for me.

I've been getting hot flushes more & more often since the op, and just this week have been put on 50 micrograms Estradot patches, so I've only used one, so can't really give any feedback on how they are going to be.

This has opened up a lot of things that I'd heard about, but didn't really think about or know much about, ie hot flushes, HRT & pelvic floor muscles. I realise now that if men had to go through this, there would be something you could take that would work instantly.

I'm looking for advise and information (that I realise I should have looked into prior to November, but I really was more focused on what having the op meant, as I've never had a child and now never will). I realise that I will at some point be hit with what this means emotionally as well, but at the moment, am focusing on a future without the pain.

No doubt I'll be asking questions, so hopefully you don't mind.

thanks
Tori

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Newbie to this whole menopause thing........
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 02:58:51 PM »

We don't mind at all.  What I mind is the fact that Gynaecologists don't seem to have any joined-up thinking  :bang: and give little or no advice to ladies prior to surgical intervention!

HRT necessity and options should be discussed well B4 a lady is heading towards theatre!  Browse round here.  Make notes.  There are several Members with similar situations who I am sure will be along.  Some find it worth while keeping a mood/food/symptom diary too.

We have a 'funny' room too  ;)

Keep posting!  Ask what ever you like.   :welcomemm:

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 04:52:02 PM »

Hi and welcome ToriTeetoe
You are doing the right thing by using the oestrogen - you should have been given advice about this post op!!!
You are too young to be oestrogen deficient so this oestrogen will protect your heart and bones for the long term - it will also prevent early onset of urogenital problems.
You may notice the benefits within the next month or so - it can take time for oestrogen to do it's magic.
Keep us posted.  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 10:49:42 AM »

Hi ToriTeeToe

:welcomemm: from me too!

Sorry to hear about your problems and subsequent operation.

Did you retain the last ovary or was this also removed when you had the hysterectomy? If your ovary was removed too, then your body has gone into hormonal shock and you will still be trying to acclimatise to sudden crash in oestrogen and testosterone as well.

If you retained your ovary then you will still be having a cycle and therefore hopefully things should ease much sooner.

Did you have endometrial deposits outside the womb? I presume not as women are generally given progestogen as well if starting hRT - to prevent stimulation of these deposits. This is what it says on this site about endometriosis:

There is a small risk of reactivation of endometriosis with HRT use and any recurrence of symptoms should be reported. If a hysterectomy has been performed for endometriosis, the choice of HRT use thereafter should be influenced by the extent of endometriosis at the time of the operation. Since hysterectomy often causes a premature menopause, it is often advised to take HRT until the average age of the menopause; 51 years. HRT after hysterectomy usually consists of estrogen only. However, in the presence of endometriosis, estrogen may cause stimulation of residual deposits and consideration should be given to using continuous combined (estrogen plus daily progestogen) therapy, or tibolone, though little research has been done on the effect of different types and duration of therapy. Medical treatment of endometriosis often involves ovarian suppression which, along with ovarian removal, may increase the risk of osteoporosis

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/atoz.php#GlossE

Hopefully you will feel better soon. If your ovary was also removed then please also ask for local oestrogen (Vagifem) to prevent vaginal atrophy and keep things comfortable in that area.

Do please make sure you have someone to talk to about the fertility issues and how this has been permanently affected by your operation so that you cannot have children. Perhaps you have a partner to share this with - but also I would hope that you could see someone such as a counsellor also on NHS - if you want to investigate this option.

Wishing you all the best  :bighug:

Hurdity x