Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vitamin D3 and magnesium  (Read 7956 times)

Clare11

Vitamin D3 and magnesium
« on: December 30, 2016, 03:35:28 PM »

Hello,
I have been trying vitamin D3 and magnesium for a couple of weeks to see if it helps with my Menopause. But I seem to be getting headaches. Can taking these vitamins cause this???
Thanks

nearly50

Re: Vitamin D3 and magnesium
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 03:49:30 PM »

I think magnesium can cause headaches, maybe stop taking it for a wee while. Maybe hard to judge at this time if you are out of routine due to holidays, could be dehydration or more sugar than normal.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 05:51:37 PM »

Magnesium spray is good to use - using anything transdermally reduces possible side effects.  Vit D and Magnesium will help your bones but won't reduce meno symptoms.
An increase in headaches is a typical menopause symptom is often down to fluctuating hormones. DG x

Clare11

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 10:12:48 PM »

Hi, I was hoping to increase my get up and go and my tiredness. Been to the Doc's and even though blood test shows I am menopausal she advises not going on HRT as it's been nearly 2 years since my last period and I am nearly 55. I thought extra vitamin D would help a wee bit.
Anyone got any ideas that would help!!!
 :)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 10:30:05 PM »

Vitamin D is important in the winter months so definitely take that and you do need magnesium alongside to absorb Vit D. 
HRT is good for reducing hot flushes and night sweats and it can sometimes help with energy.  55 is certainly not too late to try HRT and it could be worth giving it a go if you aren't getting enough sleep due to nights sweats etc.
5 years of HRT in our 50s can help maintain bone density and protect the heart for the long term so there are definitely health benefits to HRT.  Side effects of HRT can be troublesome so there may be compromises - however, side effects shouldn't be a reason not to try HRT.
I am 60 and stopped using HRT about 5months ago - unfortunately without HRT I do get many more headaches.
DG x

Clare11

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 03:05:13 PM »

Hi, I have been having hot flushes for about 6 years and seem to be coping with them, mainly night sweats. I do excercise regularly, don't always want to but normally feel better for doing so. After a long chat with the doctor I seem to be having more anxiety issues, mainly health. Every pain, twinge I associate with heart attack/death. Have tried CBT and it has helped a bit but doctor thinks maybe a very low dose of AD instead of HRT would be more helpful.
I just thought vitamin D would help lift my mood so not make me so anxious and therefore no need for ADs.
I seem to have ups and downs.
I suppose I am just confused.
Thanks Dancinggirl for your words.
Happy New Year and I hope it's good for us all.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 04:50:53 PM »

Clare11 - Vitamin D deficiency does bring low mood and low energy so it is good to take this vitamin.  Before you try an AD/SRRi perhaps try St. John's Wort for 2-3 months.  St John's Wort is often prescribed in Germany for mild low mood and anxiety and brings fewer side effects that ADs/SRRIs. You need to go for a good brand and take an appropriate dosage - have a look at some reputable websites as there is some good research and advice available - can't recommend one right now as it's some time since I did a search.  I took SJW for about 5 months when I stopped taking HRT earlier this year and it did seem to help with sleep and reduced my irritability. DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 05:47:25 PM »

Hi, I was hoping to increase my get up and go and my tiredness. Been to the Doc's and even though blood test shows I am menopausal she advises not going on HRT as it's been nearly 2 years since my last period and I am nearly 55. I thought extra vitamin D would help a wee bit.
Anyone got any ideas that would help!!!

Are you wanting to take HRT? Your doc is talking rubbish!!!!! How dare she advise you not to go onto HRT!!  This is completely wrong! Oestrogen levels continue to fall for approx 2 years following the last period so you could well be experiencing a worsening of symptoms at this point - many women do. As for your age - I was only about a year younger than you when I started HRT and was in late peri-menopause (just under 54) and I'm still on it in my eaely 60's. Between the age of 50 and 60 the benefits are thought to outweigh the risks if you are getting symptoms.

She should absolutely not be advising you to take ADs!! She is completely out of date. They are not advised for menopausal symptoms according to the NICE Guidelines and there is limited evidence that they work anyway! I really would not go down the route of ADs!! HRT will benefit your bones as Dancinggirl says, as well as improving mood, anxiety flushes sweats etc etc. If you would like further advice about this please ask as we will have specific recommendations of how to go about starting - but there is no time to lose and everything to gain :)

Vitamins and minerals etc will do absolutely nothing for menopausal symptoms, nor moods!!!! I would urge you please to think again and I am so sorry you have a doctor who is not knowledgeable or up to date.

Happy New Year to you too! :)

Hurdity x

Tempest

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 05:15:54 PM »

Correct vitamin and mineral levels are VITAL for health and also to support mood. My very senior Psychiatrist has confirmed this. Here in Scotland, he often sees patients with chronically low Vitamin D levels, especially those who are virtually housebound by their mental illness. It is also surprisingly widespread amongst the general population of the rest of the UK too.

Vitamin D is very important for supporting mood, as well as B complex vitamins. A holistic approach is required when supporting the body AND mind through menopause. HRT is not vitamin support - it can't do everything. It's not a magic 'cure all', as I have found myself. Therefore I have to disagree with you a bit here, Hurdity!

Dancinggirl always gives very balanced advice about taking care of health in general as we move through the menopause transition and into later life. I greatly respect her opinions. Also, ladies who CANNOT or CHOOSE NOT to take HRT have had good success with using the 'hot flush cocktail' of vitamins as well as other lifestyle approaches.

By all means, if you would like to try HRT and are not contraindicated then it should be made available. No exceptions! But as Dancinggirl often says, sometimes this is not enough to address mental symptoms and then an AD at low dose (or possibly St. John's Wort, but check with GP first as this also has side effects are can be contraindicated in some health conditions) can be very helpful. A good number of ladies chose to take both - and sometimes it's a good idea to start a low dose AD to support mood whilst trying to find the best HRT regime for you.

I think it's a good idea to remember that all options should be on the the table to help us get through this difficult time and to move forward healthily into our post menopause years. :)

Clare11

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 09:09:07 PM »

Thank you to you all, you have given me alot to think about. I really appreciate every reply.

Tempest

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 09:27:59 PM »

You're very welcome, Clare! Wishing you the best of luck in finding what works best for you to make you feel better. xxxx

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 10:53:12 PM »

Clare11 - nor probs - we try to help :)

By the way - I totally agree that we should not be deficient in vitamins and minerals and I am always going on about diet and lifestyle first and foremost especially as we reach this stage in our lives - so nothing to disagree about there and especially in relation to HRT not being a magic cure for all ills - I have never ever said that it is!

It is an absolute given that we need to be in the best of health in all possible ways! Clearly if we are kind to our bodies then we will be in a better place physically and mentally to cope with menopausal symptoms - I totally agree that it is a holistic thing!

My comments were said in the context of Clare11's doctor advising her not to go onto HRT and suggesting ADs instead.

I am a very firm proponent of vitamins and minerals ( who wouldn't be?) but mainly from the diet - if people attended more to their diet and lifestyle then some of these deficiencies would not occur. Unfortunately St John's Wort should not be taken with Oestrogen and therefore would not be chosen instead of ADs if HRT is being considered - which I still maintain it should be as a first option as the NICE Guidelines recommend - except perhaps in very extreme cases. That is probably the only point of disagreement I would say. I still think doctors are too fond of dishing out ADs so that many people expect to be prescribed them and these are seen as the norm.

I don't think anyone would disagree with trying out other options either if you cannot take HRT - I have always given this as a caveat when suggesting it - but what we are talking about here is someone who was advised incorrectly by her doctor not to take HRT.

"By all means if you would like to try HRT and are not contra-indicated then it should be made available" Yes! that is exactly my point!

Clare11 please let us know what you decide and how things go?

Hurdity x

Clare11

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 07:32:16 PM »

Hi all, if this helps the Doctor only suggested AD's as she believes my probs or more with the mind than Menopause as I did say to her that even though I had and have flushes I have coped with them. They only come at night and do fluctuate in strength. And yes I have felt down and anxious but it's early days re CBT (just under 2 months since finished the course) and she implied it would be better to try CBT for at least 3 months to see if things improved.  She suggested taking 10mg of citalopram as it may ease my worries and then enable me to figure out my issues (seems to be Health Anxiety). Her concerns were with the fact my last period was nearly 2 years ago and the one before that nearly one year gap.
Also in 2015 my mum passed away and I had a diving incident so not sure if these have contributed to my anxiety issues.
But, again I must say you are all helpful and you have given me things to think about.
xx

Annie0710

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 07:36:40 PM »

I've always been under the impression Vit D should be taken with K2

This is the first link I looked up, it's worth doing more searches

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/10/19/vitamin-d-vitamin-k2.aspx

Also a good source of magnesium is epsom salt baths x

Clare11

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 08:20:50 PM »

Hi Sparkle,
If I am honest I was hoping to get a pill to solve everything but I know that's unrealistic  :sigh:
I am unsure about HRT so joined this forum , which the Doctor recommended.
I did agree that I should try the CBT route but unsure about AD's.
So trying to make through without anything that is why I was looking at vitamins.
She advised I think about it and if I took AD's to go back and see her.
Sort of confused at the mo.
She is the best Doctor I have seen so far.
x
Pages: [1] 2