Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Anxiety or something else?  (Read 8854 times)

linz57

Anxiety or something else?
« on: November 29, 2016, 08:38:03 PM »

Out of the blue, just over 4 weeks ago I started to experience an occasional bout of slight queasiness after drinking coffee or wine.( I had upped my Conti patch dose, then reduced it, then upped it slightly again ) After that came gnawing hunger pangs, usually around 15minutes to an hour after eating. I can eat a decent amount but still get these feelings of hunger/ queasiness after eating.
I realise these can be symptoms of acid/gastritis/ ulcer but I was wondering whether long term stress and anxiety can also cause this. I have had an extremely stressful and anxious year due to various reasons and it's got to have had some effect on my adrenals surely.
I've had blood tests and they're all normal. I am not deficient in vitamins, neither am I hypoglycaemic.
I realise I won't know for certain unless I see my GP again and maybe get tested but I just thought I'd see if any others on here had felt these symptoms.t
One more thing, I've found  if I am occupied I don't notice it so much,  but when I bring my attention to my stomach I can feel the symptoms . Anxiety then sets in and the sensations in my gut continue. :-\
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 08:54:16 PM by linz57 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Anxiety or something else?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 08:53:42 PM »

Coffee does that for me.  I often crave a cup when we are out and about but it gives me similar sensations - sudden hunger and then intense nausea.  So I gave it up.  Symtpoms went.

linz57

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 09:01:57 PM »

I'd given up the coffee but I tried one today and was fine. However, it does vary, what makes me queasy one day can be OK the next. Some days even water makes me feel slightly queasy. I'm puzzled.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 09:05:17 PM »

Eat more regularly even in the night.  During hormone upheavals one needs to keep sugar levels even as a drop can cause anxiety surges.  For me that causes intense nausea.  Grazing on slow release food stuffs, i.e. start with a good breakfast like porridge  :sick02:  :-X …….. I use dried fruits and nuts, bananas, egg custards ………. anything that can be eaten slowly without my realising that I'm eating  ::)

wombat62

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 09:21:40 PM »

Meno and hormones have destroyed my ability to drink wine especially red which I loved  :'( It started around 3 years ago, had a few glasses one night and went to bed very late and felt fine but as soon as I laid down felt sick as, fidgety and was sick a couple of hours later. Then it happened again a while later and slowly over time I'm lucky if I can have one glass now without a disturbed night. Bubbles are better and I'm not keen on white as I find it too acidic. Spirits seem to be okay so must be something in wine that doesn't go with my altered state, sob sob... Some friends who are in their 40's and starting on the peri journey have also mentioned they can't do so much red wine now so our altered hormones must be having some effect on our consumption of certain foods and alcohol, such a pain as if you need a glass of wine at any time in your life it's now!

I've been on decaf coffee since I had all the anxiety attacks just to be on the safe side. I love my coffee so don't want to give up that pleasure! My hubby was getting the queasies after coffee so is also on decaf now and is fine, so maybe it's not all hormonal and some of it is down to how your body reacts to caffeine as we get older?

Try and distract the mind and support your adrenals. The mind is a powerful thing and I find it's quite easy to conjure up anxiety if I start thinking about it especially when I'm low and tired, bit scary! Take care!

linz57

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 09:47:17 PM »

The thing is, I'm 59 and 6 years post meno. Been on systemic hrt for two years so I don't know where all my symptoms have come from ......unless altering my dose up, down, leaving off altogether for 2 weeks then going back up to medium dose has somehow tricked my body into thinking I'm in peri again.
You are so right wombat, right now I could happily sit here and quaff two or three glasses of Rioja.... Maybe my stomach enzymes are reducing and I'm unable to enjoy certain things anymore. Why the hell is it always the good stuff this happens with ? Why can't it happen with liver or boiled potatoes? Haha
CLKD, I start every day with either a bowl of porridge with blueberries, followed by a banana or two hard boiled eggs and toast.
I've started munching on protein bars inbetween meals in a bid to stave off the hunger but I'm finding some days it works, others it doesn't.
I really thought I'd be over all this malarkey by now but it appears it's here to stay awhile longer yet. Trying to make sense of it all is like trying to plait sand :-\

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 08:54:13 AM »

Red wine is often the first food item that causes gut upheaval.  Didn't for me as I don't drink  ;)

Maybe eat the banana mid-morning?  I too use energy bars I have looked in the pro-cycling shops for ideas.  If it's good enough for Wiggo ………

Dextrose tablets are a good standby too, we use them when walking/cycling.  Also dried fruits and nuts to graze on. 

Make sure that to you eat regularly, stay hydrated and have biscuits by the bed 4 when you wake in th enight.  The trick for me is to eat B4 I feel hungry to stave off that nausea.

linz57

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 08:59:57 AM »

Yes, I've taken to carrying Dextrosol, small pouches of nuts and seeds and protein bars around with me. I feel like a hamster with all the seeds I'm stuffing away!
The funny thing is, it seems to be eating that brings the hunger on. Right now I haven't eaten since around 10pm last night and I'm fine. However, about an hour after eating breakfast the hunger pangs will start. Maybe it's an ulcer?  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 09:06:49 AM »

Ulcers can be painful.  Where is the hunger, for me it's below the belly button  :-\

linz57

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 09:26:48 AM »

Mine is below the belly button too and I can't say it's painful , although I've been taking Omeprazole for the last two weeks. I knew the first thing the GP would suggest would be to try that so I thought I'd give it a month and then if no better I'd go see her.
Could be gastritis I suppose? Back in Seotember I had two weeks of high strength anti inflammatories ( plus co dydramol) for my trapped nerve/ left shoulder pain, then I went on holiday and enjoyed my nightly large gin and tonics, then I brought a litre bottle home! ::). Maybe that's caused the problem, God knows, as usual with me, nothing is ever clear cut.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 09:41:29 AM by linz57 »

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 03:04:46 PM »

OH you would know if it was gastritis!!!

linz57

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 03:19:39 PM »

God knows what this is then. Ah well, onwards and upwards.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 05:17:30 PM »

Thanks Sparkle ………

linz57

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 05:37:06 PM »

Thanks sparkle, I'm not getting pain, more gurgling and feelings of hunger shortly after eating. I'll give it about a month on Omeprazole to see how it goes. As we discussed the other evening, the 2 weeks of painkillers and anti inflammatories followed by 10 nights of Spanish measures of gin could have set this off 😀although I didn't get symptoms until a couple of weeks after finishing the gin
It's my health anxiety kicking in that's got me worrying now ......
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 05:38:59 PM by linz57 »

linz57

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 07:11:00 PM »

59 years old and still no sense on holiday..... :beat:
Pages: [1] 2 3