News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: 5 HTP  (Read 6244 times)

Londongirl

5 HTP
« on: November 28, 2016, 08:58:50 PM »

Anyone tried this ? 

I've searched back and only found some old posts on this supplement so just wondering if anyone has tried it recently. 

My reason for trying it is the depression which seems to have come back quite badly (or maybe it never went!).  I seem to struggle on and off with it and at times anxiety too.  I've had CBT earlier this year for the anxiety which helped so may consider the same for the depression but I noticed that my depression always seems worst in the mornings so thought to try 5 HTP.  Started taking it and have to say I do feel calmer but wonder can it work so quickly (or am I just being hopeful!). 

The meno has just been a rollercoaster of ups and downs and I just wonder will it ever end? 

I am also on HRT and my GP thought to increase my dosage of HRT as we both agreed this may help the depression which came back quite severely a few months back. 

I'm hoping that 5HTP doesn't interract with HRT in any way.  I don't think it does but perhaps should do more research myself

walking the dog

Re: 5 HTP
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 10:01:38 PM »

I tried it recently it didn't help my mood but did seem to help me sleep.
Good luck hope it helps xx

Londongirl

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 10:13:42 PM »

Have you gone onto anti d's ?

walking the dog

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 10:35:42 PM »

Yes sertraline 50mg but it doesn't help my pms which is why I went on it.
Waiting for hysterectomy and will stay on it til after that then withdraw

breeze

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 09:50:55 AM »

I have been reading a lot about lavender lately.  Boots now do a capsule, which I am considering trying.

Will let you know how it goes.

Londongirl

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 10:03:58 AM »

I have been on ultra low dose Femoston Conti for a few years.  Initially it helped with all the meno symptoms and in particular the depression and mood swings. 

For some reason the depression has come back so my GP put me on the higher dose which I've tried but just don't feel right on so I thought I'd give 5 HTP a go.  It seemed to make feel calmer in the first week but then I thought am I imagining it ? ! 

I'll carry on with it for a while and see how I get on. 

Walking the dog - sorry to hear your pms isn't being relieved.  When is your hysterectomy ?   Soon ? 

Breeze - Lavender is known to have lots of calming properties I believe - are you looking into it for low mood assistance ?

Gosh this blooming meno is no fun hey ?  I feel like life just took a downhill turn when I started and has never really been the same since!  I'm doing ok on the HRT so shouldn't complain but just feel that there are still days when getting out of bed is a real hard slog.  I did say to my gp a while back that maybe I need to accept my age and slow down ?  Easier said then done! 

All the best ladies
x

breeze

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 10:46:19 AM »

Don't bother with the lavender (Kalms). 
Bought some yesterday.  Lavender flavoured heartburn all evening.

Nice ;D

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 11:49:37 AM »

Lavender pillow is far better - how horrid to be burping lavender :o  Dg x
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 12:54:13 PM by Dancinggirl »

breeze

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 03:36:38 PM »

They are supposed to relieve stress.  Small capsules which you have to take with a full class of fluid, once a day.
I took mine with milk, just to be on the safe side, and still got heart burn.