Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Natural alternatives to vagifem?  (Read 43964 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Natural alternatives to vagifem?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2015, 09:24:08 PM »

I certainly couldn't have survived the feeling of razor blades up there without medication.  Let us know how you get on  ;)

Dennylou48

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2016, 01:28:22 PM »

I use vagisil wash every day which can be bought in any  chemist or  superstore.  It works for me. Worth a try. Xx

babyjane

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2016, 05:35:23 PM »

I use Vagifem, have done for 6 years and it is very effective.  However in the beginning I was wary and I read that vitamin E capsules can be effective but I never tried them.  I have also read good reports about coconut oil but I do believe that these things will only soothe and not last long.

breeze

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2016, 11:20:12 AM »

Touch wood I don't suffer with this problem like you ladies.  However, I have been wondering what our mother and grandmothers did, if they had this problem?  What was the remedies, either prescribed or home made, that they would have used?

And, most importantly, did they do any good?

(I may do a google search later and see if I can find out)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2016, 12:51:00 PM »

breeze - this is still a very taboo subject so I doubt in the pita ladies shared ways of coping - I think the poor things simply put up with it.  So many women were simply put on ‘happy pills' (and still are by many GPs) they possibly opted out of life and put up with the discomfort.
My mother put up with horrid pain for about 18 months before going to the doctor - clearly she was used to being uncomfortable - when  it got really bad she finally went to the doctor and was examined, she had advanced stage vulva cancer!!!!
I would like there to be some articles in popular magazines about urogenital atrophy e.g. - Good HouseKeeping - women need to be educated about all this. Some leaflets and posters at GPs surgeries wouldn't' go amiss
A poster could say:
Are you feeling uncomfortable around your ‘lady bit's?
Do you need to pee more often?
Do you get burning or itching?
Do you get UTI type symptoms?
Do ask the nurse or GP as treatments are available.
Women should not be suffering in this way when treatment is available.
DG x
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 04:24:19 PM by Dancinggirl »

Dorothy

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2016, 01:55:02 PM »

Sadly, I don't think there is a natural alternative to Vagifem/Ovestin - not one that is effective long-term anyway.  While I was waiting to be diagnosed, I tried Sea Buckthorn, dietary changes, wearing loose clothing, not washing with harsh products etc, etc, etc, but I was still in a lot of pain by the time the GP agreed diagnosis and prescribed Ovestin for me.  I still do these things as I think it can only help, but I would never want to rely on them totally.  VA is treatable but NOT reversible, so to my way of thinking, it's not worth risking messing around with alternatives because by the time I realise it's not working, I will have got worse.

It may feel worse for the first few weeks of use - I was so sore by the time I started using Ovestin, that I think anything would have irritated the tissue there at first.  But within a couple of weeks, it was much better.

BTW, I can recommend Faith in Nature's feminine wash.  I used to use Vagisil, but found it could 'burn' sometimes if I was having a bad day, but I've been using FiN for months and not had any discomfort at all.  Worth a try for anyone who can't bear to use nothing and finds the Vagisil irritating.

breeze

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2016, 03:18:52 PM »

Checked out the Mayo Clinics website.  The best 'natural remedy' they recommend is MORE SEX.  ::) :-\ ;)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2016, 04:56:26 PM »

Please don't tell my husband  ;D - he's been telling me that for years  ::)

Dancinggirl - start the ball rolling.  Print off your 'poster' suggestions and put into your local Surgeries, Vet. Practices, Libraries?  If it works then make posters for general distribution?

I think that bicarbonate of soda diluted in water was a 'go to' remedy for the Victorians and later on.  Epsom salt baths. 

Hurdity

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2016, 12:09:10 PM »

I see that there has been some positive research on this which is great.:)  However in UK we have vagifem and estriol and this product (vaginal DHEA) is not available here - so why would anyone want to use it as a natural alternative in preference to the bio-identical products we already have very cheaply on NHS, if it works by conversion to estradiol and/or testosterone, unless due to allergy to all the consituents of what we have already?  ie it is no more or less natural than what is already available. If the vaginal preparation does become approved over here - then that would be excellent because it would be one other hormonal vaginal product women could use - and hopefully it has different fillers which would mean another choice for women who are sensitive to existing products.:)

Hurdity x
Pages: 1 [2]