Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: The menopause: everything you were too afraid to ask  (Read 7090 times)

Emma

• Administrator
The menopause: everything you were too afraid to ask
« on: November 28, 2016, 01:27:39 PM »

The menopause: everything you were too afraid to ask.

An article with Dr Currie published in the The Telegraph, 27th November 2016

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/health/menopause-everything-afraid-ask/

Dancinggirl

Re: The menopause: everything you were too afraid to ask
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 05:40:50 PM »

Wow - what a great article.  So well researched, includes so many things that we tackle here on our MM forum.
It also gives the true picture about the possible risks of HRT - blows all the scare stories out of the water.
At last a balanced viewpoint.  DG x

Millykin

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 08:08:04 PM »

Can someone explain this part to me from the article
If you're still having periods when you start HRT, you take progesterone cyclically for a year, so you continue having periods. This is to give your body time to adjust.

HRT does not postpone the menopause – it simply replaces the depleted hormones. It's best not to wait for your symptoms to worsen
Then you start taking it daily, at which point your periods stop. HRT does not postpone the menopause – it simply replaces the depleted hormones. And it's best not to wait for your symptoms to worsen.

I don't understand that part, I have been taking Femoston 2/10 for a couple of years which is progesterone cyclically 2weeks out of 4. I'm peri meno age 46 when would I swap to progesterone every day femoston 1/5 ?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 10:52:21 AM »

Milkykin - there are some inaccuracies in the info given in this article.  It doesn't explain the difference between sequi and conti HRT and which one you can use when.  If you are peri meno - so still having periods even if they are erratic - then the sequi HRt is appropriate and will result in monthly bleeds - this will settle fluctuations and ease meno symptoms while your own hormones gradually drop.  A women can continue with a sequential HRT well into post meno is she wishes especially as progesterone taken continuously can cause more unwanted side effects.  However, once you are deemed post meno ( so have been period free for at least a year or over 54) then one can move to a conti HRT which should result in a non bleed regime.
If you personally find the progesterone in Femoston doesn't give you side effects then you should be able to move to a conti version at some stage - probably in your mid 50s. The peri stage can last many years. You are young and this conti version is a much lower dose (so may not control flushes etc) and unless you have taken a break from HRT for 3 months and had blood tests to ascertain whether you are post meno, then it is better to stick with the sequi Femoston.
DG x