Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Horrible cold/throat bug doing the rounds  (Read 13986 times)

countrybumpkin

Horrible cold/throat bug doing the rounds
« on: November 14, 2016, 09:09:35 PM »

My husband started it 10 days ago with streaming cold/flu symptoms and hacking cough. I haven't had a bug of any kind for over 3 years so just knew ............
I started with the  " I am going to get a streaming cold feeling in nose" last friday then it all cleared up and I thought great then yesterday the razor blades landed in my throat/voice box. So just one word from me and I am choking and my nose and eyes streaming arggghhhh I hate coughs and i hate having to keep quiet ;D ;D

Kathleen

Re: Horrible cold/throat bug doing the rounds
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 09:21:42 PM »

Hello countrybumpkin.

Sorry you are suffering ( in silence lol ).

You may have had a lucky escape as my son seems to have caught a tummy bug from one of his flatmates. He lives and works in London and had to get a taxi home as he felt so ill. He is 24 and like all men is not great with illness.

Hope you feel better soon.

K.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 10:33:32 PM »

I have been reading about the tummy bug with friends kids on facebook. Now that would be all I would need  :o :o :o  on top of this one.

Megamind

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 09:39:58 AM »

What does the tummy bug entail? Sickness and diarrhoea? It's just my husband has had bad stomach pain since Saturday but no sickness or diarrhoea, just pain and a lot of burping. He thinks it was something he ate but other family members ate the same thing and are OK.

cubagirl

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 10:35:48 AM »

I'm trying to hit start of cold on the head. Streaming nose & eyes. Normally would let it run its course, but son's wedding in 11 days time. Perfect timing! Hubby had this a month ago & I didn't catch it then, typical!

As for tummy bug, well I thought it was food poisoning I had back in August. Came on very quickly after a take away, within 6 hours. But was told it was more likely to be norovirus. Still not convinced it was mind you.

Megamind

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 11:30:07 AM »

Yes my husband had eaten out and the pain came on around 5 hours later. I sometimes have problems after eating out. I think it's because restaurants use a lot of salt that I never use and the oils they use can have an effect.

Scampi

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 03:03:37 PM »

I have a colleague at work off today (text said she's been up ill half the night - no expansion of definition of 'ill', but she had a cold only last week, so my guess is she's got a stomach bug).  Now, I know what this lady is like, and if she can drag herself out of bed she'll come to work .... my anxiety levels are rising as she sits next to me, and if she comes to work tomorrow I'll be in full panic-mode for the next fortnight  :'(  I'm emetophobic, and I simply can't understand why people won't take the advice of the medical profession and stay quarantined for 48 hours post-symptoms!!  If she's back at work before next Monday, I'll be bathing in hand sanitiser, and not eating at work  >:(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 05:40:34 PM »

I had a cough Germ in May and was afflicted day and night for 3 weeks: when I did begin to recover it was really quick in that I regained strength each day  ……. a similar bug hit me 5 weeks ago and I'm still throat clearing during the day

countrybumpkin

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 08:35:28 PM »

I have a very sexy voice today ;D ;D but the cough is gathering strength especially if I speak and as I am a complete chatterbox its hard to stay silent.  The coughing makes my nose drip as well ::)

cubagirl

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 11:33:55 PM »

So far so good with my cold & flu capsules, in so much as my nose & eyes have stopped streaming like a burn! My throats a bit nippy though, so suspect it'll be cough mixture next! FAB!  ::)

littleminnie

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 09:17:53 AM »

I have it too.  :(
Started with a cough and scratchy throat, the next day aching and hot & cold spells. Day 3 - sneezing & runny nose thrown into the mix.
Not much appetite, a few 'toilet visits'.  Sweated buckets last night.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 11:42:12 AM »

The throat cough seems to follow same pattern in everybody >:( 
I was awake alot on the night with the cough and totally bunged up nose so had to breathe through mouth which made me cough ::) 
What I want to know is when I woke up this morning I could sort of breathe through my nose so just where has all that stuff gone - actually I know its sitting just below my voice box on top of windpipe!!! 
My lovely husband is making frog noises at me because of my croaky voice ;D
I also have what I call pumpkin head which is a feeling as if you face and head are going to explode. 
I am going shopping with friends this afternoon so will have to keep quiet, not really feeling well enough but having spent over a week indoors because of husband having it first I am getting cabin fever and want to go out.  Think a relapse will be in order by tonight :o :o
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 11:46:58 AM by countrybumpkin »

cubagirl

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 12:48:54 PM »

Good description countrybumpkin, "pumpkin head."  ;D I said to hubby it's "All in my head!" Of course he misunderstood my meaning!  ;D

Scampi

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2016, 01:01:33 PM »

Most the bunged up feeling is actually due to the lining of the nasal passages being inflamed, not a build up of mucus.  So the 'stuff' doesn't have to go anywhere to lose the bunged up feeling - the inflammation has to go down (the Sudofed adverts with the little knitted guy, narrated by Noddy Holder, explain it really well!!).

countrybumpkin

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2016, 10:32:15 PM »

;D ;D I have never seen the sudofed adverts but am imagining noddy holder up my sinuses :o

I managed christmas shopping.  I have not alot of voice now and a very sore throat and a wonderful barking cough but hopefully nothing worse will happen. Nose less drippy today as well.

I am drowning in hot tea as that is all I want for the poor old throat.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5