Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Any thoughts on Homeopathy  (Read 18301 times)

Bettyboo

Any thoughts on Homeopathy
« on: November 13, 2016, 09:38:56 AM »

Hi chums

Just wondered what your thoughts are on homeopathy and whether anyone has had any success with using it?

It' pretty much a science-based household here, so OH dismisses homeopathy as - at worst, nonsense, and at best, a placebo effect. I tried it years ago for eczema but it did nothing. Here in France they are really keen on homeopathy and both of our Drs will prescribe it alongside normal medicine.

Specifically, I have a health anxiety problem that exacerbates/ causes IBS-d and other anxiety symptoms. I'm going through a bad patch at the moment after three good months. Hot and cold sweats, on and off IBS, pains moving about, adrenaline surges, general feeling of panic. Of course, 'brain' has gone off on one, thinking the worst. To be able to get out of the house (mentally)  when having bad time due to fear of IBS, I often take precautionary immodium, which Dr knows about. Last time I went I said I wanted to try to stop doing this and she prescribed some homeopathic stuff. I've never taken it as OH just scoffed but I really need to get out of this bad patch so I was wondering about giving it a go. I suppose it can't do any harm - I already take beta-blockers, ecitalopram, probiotic & multi-vit.

Dancinggirl

Re: Any thoughts on Homeopathy
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 10:15:04 AM »

Sadly,  I think trials with homeopathy haven't shown any real benefits.  Like most alternative/herbal remedies the benefits tend to be short lived if at all, so are simply giving a placebo effect. The NHS would prescribe it if there was any real evidence that homeopathy worked.
Have you tried HRT?  This can help so many things as the lack of oestrogen can effect so many things. HRT isn't for everyone and is a personal choice but it could be worth trying.
Do not underestimate the effect that oestrogen deficiency has on the brain - it does make anxiety etc. far worse.

Omega 3, Vitamin D and magnesium are vital for mood and energy but you have already said you are taking vitamins so hopefully you are not low on vital nutrients. I suspect you are still peri meno as you are describing typical peri symptoms - flushes etc come and go as the oestrogen levels rise and fall. HRT is the only thing that will regulate this so I would discuss this with the doctor.  Increasing your intake of phytoestrogens/Isoflavines can also be beneficial though I haven't found it reduces flushes, however,  I believe there are benefits for the heart and bones.

Just remember that what you are experiencing is very typical for the menopause - CBT and Mindful Meditation can be really helpful when trying to control low mood and anxiety. DG x

Bettyboo

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 01:32:20 PM »

Thanks DG.

I know that they probably won't do anything but I might take them anyway. I know what you say about the NHS, the weird thing here in France is that homeopathy is reimbursable by your state health cover, so that means it is approved.

I've tried to get HRT prescribed but Dr thinks it is more that I have depression/ anxiety than hormones, and I was getting better on the e-cit. Next time I go I will ask for an FSH blood test (is that the right one?) - you can get blood tests done easily here and the results are posted to you.

I already do ten minutes of Headspace meditating every day and half an hour of yoga every day plus just started trying to do couch to 5k on treadmill. I've only just started the vitamins because I realised there could be a deficiency especially as I am dairy-free vegetarian. Just fed up really, as I've had all these symptoms before and they went away. I thought it had finished but since beginning of Oct have started having hot episodes/ sweating in day (not sure if you'd call it a flush as I don't go red). It's been going on for four years now  :(

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 03:04:51 PM »

Ah Bettyboo - if you do't have dairy then you really need lots of extra calcium, magnesium and Vitamin D or your bones will suffer in the long term.  Do seek theadvice of a dietician is possible to really look at your diet and make arureyou are getting the right balance of nutrients.  I am vegetarian but eat eggs and dairy so this is easier to get enough amino acidics, vitamins and minerals etc.
Do bare in mind that if you are in the peri meno stage your own hormones will be fluctuating, meno symptoms will come and go, and this will give the impression that alternative remedies are working for a while.  It's great you are getting some good exercise but do get outside for brisk walks to boost your mood and get some Vitamin D. We all need to take Vitamin D supplements during the winter due to lack of sunshine.
Definitely ask for oestrogen and FSH levels as this will indicate whether your symptoms are meno related.  I really wouldn't bother with Homeopathic as it really isn't worth it  - even if you don't have to pay for for it.
You may well benefit from a low dose of HRT even if you are still getting periods - keep doing what you are doing and see how things go.  Dg x

bramble

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 04:23:04 PM »

I do use homeopathy for, in particular, migraines. I have used it for that for the last 30 years. Back then, I got the pills from my (Chinese) gp. Now I am no longer with that practise, I see him privately. Have also used it in the past when my rheumatoid arthritis was bad and all the (different) doctor could offer me was steroids. I have found it has worked really well for that. So yes, I do believe in it but I think you really need to go to a good one. Not too sure about the Chinese herbalists you see in the shopping arcades.
I would say try it, especially as your gps use it.

Bramble

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 04:26:38 PM »

Homeopathy cannot be prescribed on the NHS.  Have a look at Ben Gold??? (?) web-site to see what his Research shows.  The amounts are so minuscule that they are not found on testing and what are the preparations suspended in?  :-\ ?

bramble

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 08:43:06 PM »

I do use homeopathy for, in particular, migraines. I have used it for that for the last 30 years. Back then, I got the pills from my (Chinese) gp.

As above - my (Chinese) GP worked for the NHS - I got my homeopathic tablets on the NHS.

Bramble

Homeopathy cannot be prescribed on the NHS. 

dulciana

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 09:20:52 PM »

Years ago, I had a painful boil next to my fingernail.  Over several days, I tried bathing it in TCP and hot water, plus a number of other things to try and reduce the swelling.  None of these were really doing anything and it remained swollen and sore.  Getting a bit desperate, I bought some homeopathic tablets, just to try out - any port in a storm.  I took whatever the recommended dose was and that evening the boil burst. (I was practising and the gunge went everywhere.  Lovely. ::))  By the next day, it was much better.  I don't know if I would recommend homeopathy, but it certainly worked for me that day. 

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 12:11:46 AM »

My best ever GP (sadly now passed away due to thyroid cancer) was also a practising homeopathist and his treatments were available on the NHS. However, he always said that when I got to menopause, if I had problems, then the only thing that would fix it would be "proper" HRT and not homeopathy.  He did prescribe homeopathic remedies for lots of ailments which sometimes worked and sometimes didn't but I found it interesting.

Taz x

dangermouse

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 01:31:56 AM »

I've had some (unexpected as I'm a bit of a sceptic) strong physiological changes from arnica and pulsatilla which weren't down to placebo effect. Science cannot demonstrate how it works as it's based on dilutuon memory but hypnotherapy is a bit like that as it's not something you can measure and do trials on (for insurance purposes we sometimes have to call it meditation  ::))

Don't discount it because your OH has a closed mind but not sure how effective it will be on the menopause as it's action is to boost the immune system to heal itself and meno is not an actual ailment. It may work on symptoms though. If I get any more nausea I'm going to try the nux vomica and report back!

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 09:18:28 AM »

'nux vomica' in un-diluted form is a vomit inducer so the theory is to reverse the way it works ……..

Bettyboo

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 11:57:28 AM »

Hi DG and all

Although I try to avoid dairy I do still eat eggs, and I try to eat a balanced diet. It is a bit of a hobby for me, vegan cooking, so I am always researching stuff. The trouble is that due to the IBS thing I get 'ideas' that I have to avoid certain foods and this makes me more paranoid. I know I need to work on overcoming this. I do eat soya things and nut milks that are fortified with vit's but I agree, I need to be careful about the calcium, magnesium and Vit D. I took supplements of all these last winter, but for the moment I have just pinched some of OH's 'vegetarian over-50'  mix! I'll do some more research and order some more.

The homeopathic stuff is not for meno symptoms or as an HRT alternative - it is supposed to be for my (actual or perceived) IBS problem. I'm trying it anyway. The colocynthis seems to have good reports for colic in children and this is mentioned on NHS. I'll give it a couple of weeks and report back

Thanks all. BB

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 12:11:53 PM »

IBS is different for each of us.  For me it began because I was anorexic from age 5.  Finally diagnosed when I was in crisis in the late 1990s.  My GP gave me Colpermin to get rid of upper gut wind and Motillium to push food through the system faster.

For me it was acute continual nausea.  I was able to eat until 12.30 when my gut became bloated, by mid-afternoon I had to undo my skirt zip/buttons.  By 5.00 p.m. I was unable to take any food/drink on board even though I felt 'hungry'.  The reason it appears is that my gut from top to bottom had 'forgotten' how to process properly in that the spasms had almost stopped.  So food backed up causing the above symptoms.  Fortunately I never suffered with pain or 'the runs'.

Within 3-4 days of beginning the prescription/s I felt 90% better, I had several set backs if I forgot to take the medication: always within an hour prior to eating my main meals: but within 6 months I had got rid of the bloating and nausea >PHEW<.

The result was slow transit.  My body feels the need to poo but nothing is passed.  Medication speeded that to within 'normal' limits.  After 5 years of the above treatment I tried Actimel several times a day and that really did help, enough to stop the prescribed meds..  I found recently that if I eat too many chilly peppers stuffed with cream cheese works  :o :-X as the oil is very well, oily  ;D - so I've stopped eating those because it can take 2-3 days B4 I get a reaction  :-X.

Let us know how you get on.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 12:34:39 PM »

Live yogurt is brilliant for helping digestive problems and also preventing thrush etc. I eat loads of yogurt - it's great for calcium as well.
My digestive system is really sensitive these days - can't eat any of the onion family or anything really spicy.  Broccoli and too many greens give me terrible wind ;D :o
Couldn't manage without eggs and cheese.
CLKD - is right - we all have to find what works for us - I found Colpermin very good. DG x

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 03:07:23 PM »

Can't tolerate eggs at all unless they are in  :cake: or  :cupcake:  ;D    Broccoli I love but it gives me belly ache.  Haven't eaten cauli for years  :-[

Pages: [1] 2 3 4