Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: 44 just diagnosed as perimenopausal  (Read 3251 times)

1972suer

44 just diagnosed as perimenopausal
« on: November 08, 2016, 05:55:31 PM »

Hi. I have been having problems with periods, like 3 periods in 6 weeks! I was referred to gynaecology and given norethisterone to take in meantime. This helped periods be regular and shorter but still heavier. At consultation yesterday Dr said I was at the start of the change and gave me a few options cos can't stay on tablets long term. Out of options I chose IUS (probably merena) which I will be having fitted in couple weeks. Obviously I  have been feeling really down today. Thinking about it I have been feeling hot a lot lately especially at night but I wouldn't say they were hot flushes as I am instantly hot all over. Also been more moody but put that down to after effects of car accident 6 months ago (I have been having other after effects also). I feel scared and down at the same time with this new change in my body. I  know it comes to us all but my brain is screaming at me that I'm only 44 it's too early in my life for this. I know other women start this as early as in their 30s but it isn't helping how I feel right now. Sorry for the essay I just need to talk with other women who are either going good through this or have been through it. My husband is great but as a man I don't think he understands fully. Thanks

MabelBabel

Re: 44 just diagnosed as perimenopausal
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 07:10:50 PM »

Hi and welcome!

I only joined a few days ago, having begun to experience more and more Peri symptoms, the final straw which made me sit up and acknowledge it, was a sleepless night where I saw every hour, night sweats, hot flushes, awful chest anxiety etc etc etc!

Some days my eyes leak....yes I know they are tears, but I don't know why they are running down my face, hence leaky eyes!
Some days I feel fine, then suddenly I am hit by the bat of exhaustion and I have to so lay down there and then and sleep. On average when this happens I am out for about 40mins.
Some days I can't remember anything! I went into the kitchen to get a piece of kitchen roll (I was eating chicken thighs), I sat back down, look at my plate and think, where is the kitchen roll? I didn't remember getting it, i'm now annoyed that I must have forgotten it so I eat the thighs with a knife and fork instead, at the end of my meal I notice the sheet of kitchen roll next to me. I have no recollection of getting it. I feel like I am going mad!!

I am 47 and have been having what I know now to be peri signs for at least 2 yrs. I'm not scared about the changes, I'm annoyed that they are out of my control, but as you say it comes to us all.

There are lots of very helpful people on here, offering advice and a shoulder whenever you need it.

You're not on your own.

x

PS, This may not make any sense, but that's because my peri-brain no longer functions properly!

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 07:28:57 PM »

Hello 1972suer and welcome to the forum.

You are in good company here and there are many ladies on the site who can help and advise you.

It may also help you to know that a friend of mine begun her menopause in her late thirties and has had a much gentler ride than me. I am 60 now and was still having periods at 54 plus I am using HRT and she is doing fine without so I think she got the better deal. You may also have a smoother ride even though you are younger than average.

Wishing you well and keep posting.

K.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 09:58:46 AM »

Hi 1972suer and welcome to MM
My meno started in my mid 30s literally right after I had my second baby.  I was lucky and had a good GP that encouraged me to have HRT and guided me through the initial stages. It sounds as though you are getting good advice and treatment and the Mirena is a good option if bleeding is a problem as this should stabilise things.  The hot feelings your describe are probably flushes and you may find these come and go as your hormones fluctuate and drop through the peri meno stage  - this peri stage can last a few years!!!!
It can be a shock to learn the meno has started but it often starts in our 40s and unfortunately we are not educated about what to expect or what our options are.  However things are changing; there are new NICE guidelines that are far clearer about appropriate treatment. Once you have the Mirena then things should settle more quickly.  If flushes increase then you can simply add in some oestrogen as pills, patch or gel.  The Mirena is very convenient as it protects the womb lining and you don't need to take oral progesterone which can sometimes bring the side effects. The important thing is to have enough oestrogen until at least your early 50s to protect your heart and bones for the long term - so do ask for a blood test to check oestrogen levels if the flushes or other meno symptoms do increase as you may well need to have some oestrogen sooner rather than later.
It sounds as though you have had a bit of a rough time recently so do try to concentrate on eating well, getting some good exercise and lots of relaxation to get your health in tip top condition.
Do read up all the info on this site to get clued up - this may all seem less scary with more knowledge.
We are here to support your so keep posting.  DG x

1972suer

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 12:10:35 PM »

Thanks everyone. Mabelbabel I know what you mean with the memory failing, I have done almost the same thing a few times. I  am lucky to have a supportive husband who also informed me last night that there is such a thing as male menopause as well. I didn't know this until he got up an article online about it. Got a few days off work now so just going to chill out and (try to) stop worrying! Thanks all and I will keep posting. Xx

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 05:01:59 PM »

Hi 1972suer

:welcomemm: from me too!

I agree that a Mirena would be a good idea to stem the heavy bleeding. If you haven't started skipping any periods yet and they are closer together and heavier - this could well be the late reproductive stage - the last stage before peri-menopause starts, and the stage when hormones start to go awry. Oestrogen may not be appropriate yet but I agree due to your age it might be a good idea for you to have blood tests, although you can't tell much from one tests so ideally you should have two 4-6 weeks apart). If you start to get full on night sweats and hot flushes then this will be an indication that oestrogen levels are falling as Dancinggirl says. Once you have a Mirena you won't be able to tell where in menopause you are because it can stop periods completely, years before menopause sometimes.

Sorry to hear about your car accident and do hope you are able to get over the trauma of this soon, with help maybe?

Hurdity x

1972suer

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 07:37:31 PM »

Thanks Hurdity. I am having counselling through occupational health at work re accident but have only had one session so far. 2nd is tomorrow morning.

I have been getting hot sessions most days now and quite a few nights as well but not every night. My mum told me today that she started peri in her 30s and meno at 50.