Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hi! Another newbie after advice...  (Read 2643 times)

murdon

Hi! Another newbie after advice...
« on: November 07, 2016, 06:00:49 PM »

I'm 47 and newly diagnosed following blood test. Didn't have too many symptoms except slight dryness and some night flushes, which weren't really affecting my life. Because I have joint problems and due to my age, my GP advised starting HRT. I've been on the Mirena coil for years and haven't had a bleed in years and no emotional wobbles. I've been on Elleste 20mg for 10 days now and I feel rubbish!!!  :'(
Bloated, breasts tender, headachy, complete brain fog, exhausted, grumpy and tearful.
Not sure whether to persevere or stop  :-\
Any advice welcome.
Thanks!  :)

Kathleen

Re: Hi! Another newbie after advice...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 07:16:00 PM »

Hello murdon and welcome to the forum.

I don't have experience of the HRT that you are using but I'm sure someone else will be along shortly to advise you.
As you have probably guessed you are not alone on this journey!  I wish you well and keep posting.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 07:48:35 PM »

:welcomemm:

As oestrogen levels drop off the body dries, inside and out  ::) : skin, nostrils, deep in the ears, vagina ……. the latter often presents initially as urine infection-type symptoms which can be eased by specific localised HRT.

Browse round.  Make notes.

Burchers

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 09:25:24 PM »

Hi I'm 45 and a week into HRT. I decided to go with the patches. People on here been so lovely .

Bunnyp

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 10:42:51 PM »

Murdon, Hi..

If you were getting on with the coil why change what was working? That *is* rubbish.

Im sorry you're feeling so crappy.

Dana

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 08:01:23 AM »

What sort of Elleste are you on? I don't have any experience with it, but I think it comes with and without the progestin component. Seeing as you already have a mirena, and get on well with it, you should just be on estrogen only HRT. Sometimes it just takes time for these things to settle. It's usually recommended that you stay on one kind for at least a couple of months. Also at 47 you are probably still peri and hormones can fluctuate a lot.

Another thing is that some women don't do well on tablets, but do better on a transdermal type (ie patches or gel). If you really feel things aren't going well, don't give up. You still have a lot more options to try.

murdon

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 05:52:48 PM »

Hi,

I'm on Elleste solo as I still have Mirena. I've been peri for years and am now in full menopause. My GP advised HRT because I'm under 50 and have joint problems so wanted protection against osteoporosis. I wouldn't have taken it otherwise as my other symptoms were mild.

I just didn't expect quite such a severe reaction to begin with and wasn't sure whether the expected benefits outweigh the side effects. Will probably persevere for a few more weeks to see if things settle...

If anyone has experience of this brand of HRT, I'd love your opinion 😊

Dana

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 09:04:31 PM »

I don't have any experience with it, but it could just be that tablets don't suit you. If things are really bad don't put up with it. See if you can try patches, because they are absorbed through the skin so the overall dose is much lower than tablets that have to go through the digestive system and liver.