Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Asthma  (Read 19044 times)

Annie0710

Re: Asthma
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2016, 01:55:48 PM »

Hello JuJu.

Glad to read that you are feeling better.

I also know someone that developed asthma during the menopause so it makes you wonder how common it is.

Talking of not being listened to, back in the seventies my friend was prescribed a new inhaler but  complained that using it gave her heart palpitations which her GP dismissed, telling her not to be such a silly young girl. Needless to say she stopped using it but when it was mentioned again about six months later he said he wouldn't be prescribing it anymore because ‘ it causes palpitations you know'. Medicine moves on but some things never change!

Wishing you well.

K.

Kathleen I have a pink inhaler (mixed for preventative and reliever) and was given the spacer thing to use with it.  Because it doesn't fit in smaller handbags I took the inhaler off it and put in my bag, I used it and it gave me hours of palpitations.  I told my asthma nurse and she said it would as it's so concentrated, that's why I must use the spacer

X

Ju Ju

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2016, 04:57:24 PM »

Doubling up my preventative inhaler (re asthma plan) gives me mild palpitations, but as I know what's going on, I don't worry about it.

As a child, I was prescribed an inhaler that was later withdrawn. It caused some deaths and it was suspected that it made my sister very ill. It was very frightening, but she recovered.

I didn't get much sleep last night as my chest was so tight and coughing, so I got up and watched Strictly, which I had recorded. Not a good idea! I felt as if I had been dancing too fast!

I've managed to do a few chores today, which was necessary as my digestive system has gone on strike. It has helped. I'm trying to do a few bits everyday. I couldn't look at the loos any longer!  This is all very wearying. But I'm not getting worse, just not getting better.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2016, 05:01:15 PM »

I am 'in charge' of bathrooms, laundry and dishwasher  ;D - Himself does the cooking and is quite friendly with the 'hoover'.

:foryou:

Hurdity

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2016, 08:43:50 PM »

Hi Ju Ju

Sorry to hear you are unwell with asthma - I don't manage to read all the threads but just now caught this one. My youngest son had bad asthma as a child so I know how awful it can be - he seems to only get it now and again now - but mainly when he has a cold and also when he comes home (to our dusty house with cat!).

Do take care and hope you feel better soon :).

Hurdity x

Ju Ju

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2016, 09:47:55 AM »

Thank you! I think the course of ABs has knocked infection on its head, but the asthma is not letting go of its grip. I've got another emergency appointment this morning. I suspect another course of oral steroids will be the result. My peak flow readings are dipping again. I missed my flu jab and have another one booked for Saturday, so I will take advice for that.

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2016, 11:21:00 AM »

Avoid the 'flu jab for as long as possible whilst you are 'ripe' with what ever is causing the asthma.

How do you feel generally?

Annie0710

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2016, 12:23:31 PM »

I missed my flu jab (had it now) because I had a fever, if you're not hot you should still go for your jab

X

Ju Ju

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2016, 12:51:54 PM »

Got another short course of prednisolone as predicted. I asked about the flu jab and it's OK if I haven't got a fever, but it was more whether I feel up to it. Judgement call.

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2016, 02:29:19 PM »

I would be inclined to let this asthma upheaval blow over B4 subjecting the body to added stress.

Ju Ju

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2016, 09:42:15 AM »

This is a bit of an up and down journey. I felt better yesterday, despite choking over my breakfast. Once all calmed down, I pottered around making the kitchen a more hygienic area ::) and felt a sense of achievement. My peak flow readings were going up. But I had very little sleep last night, chuffing away. So I'm very tired and my peak flow readings are back down again. I suspect another trip to the doctors is on the cards tomorrow. Not sure how that's going to work as DH has an appointment 20 miles away and I think it would be irresponsible to drive. The surgery is 4 miles away. We had planned to take our GS out after accompanying DH. This is getting tiresome.

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2016, 03:35:30 PM »

How did you get on?

Ju Ju

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2016, 06:14:33 PM »

I had a really rough day yesterday, peak flow down, 2 hours sleep and dreaded going to bed last night. However, I managed 7 reasonable hours of sleep and only one coughing session, which seemed to have cleared my airways. My peak flow readings have jumped this up morning and I felt correspondingly better, though I feel like a wet blanket. I didn't go to the doctors. I suspect I would not have been prescribed another short course of prednisolone as things appear to be on the up. I can feel tightness back again this evening, but I'm due for my preventative inhalers in an hour. I cancelled my flu jab. Gut feeling is that I'm not well enough, even if I don't have a fever. Will have to wait till the 1st December now. I shall make a routine appointment with the doctor I like and who saw me through the aftermath of my hospital stay 3 years ago.

cubagirl

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2016, 06:19:39 PM »

Sorry you had a rough time with your asthma. Mine was bothering me the other day & I'm looking at changing toothpaste as apparently some are irritants. Have you found this at all?

Ju Ju

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2016, 06:34:26 PM »

No, allergens no longer seem a threat like they were when I was younger, thank goodness. As a child, I tested for so many allergens and I had a reaction to nearly everything. I carry a preventer inhaler just in case though. I don't like using toothpaste with SLS in and use sensodine toothpaste, which doesn't have this ingredient and helps with sensitive teeth.

Ju Ju

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2016, 01:45:58 PM »

This is getting rather boring isn't it? I'm no better and no worse, so had to go back to see a doctor again. I saw the same locum GP I saw last week. He was a lot more thorough this time. Expressed concern at my highish pulse rate, which is still within the realms of normal, but there is no record of what it is when I am OK, so I've got go back for a reading when I'm better. But as I can feel palpitations all the time at the moment, I suspect it's high for me. Anyway, another short course of prednisolone and see how it goes. He had a look back at 3 years ago and made a note that a normal dose doesn't do the job. At least I'm ok in other respects, just very tired and my lungs ache.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6