Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Asthma  (Read 19484 times)

Ju Ju

Re: Asthma
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2016, 04:07:41 PM »

I've had asthma since I was a few months old. Not controlled well and triggered by exercise, many allergens and infection. Modern medicine and being less vunerable to allergens has enabled me to managed it well most of the time. But I seem to have become vunerable to some infections. Not all. I cope with colds well. Fortunately I do have an efficient immune system, maybe years of teaching young children! I have done a lot of work on bereavement. I think my fear is not dying, but in the loss of dignity and respect if deteriorating. Apart from being left ill and in distress for 31/2 hours in an A&E waiting room waiting to be admitted, I was was treated incredibly well in hospital. We do have problems with the NHS, but despite financial, they do a good job.

I'm so sorry you don't have the support you deserve. If you lived in the U.K. We could suggest different kinds of support. We do need a support system, all if us, but not easy to get sometimes.

Annie0710

« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2016, 07:05:44 PM »

My asthma is only alleviated by the mixed inhaler with steroid in, the blue one really doesn't give me the immediate relief my pink one does

X

Ju Ju

« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2016, 08:57:19 PM »

I understand that psychological services are stretched here in the U.K. Menomale, with long waiting lists.

Unfortunately, salbutamol (ventolin) no longer gives relief, so I have been prescribed atriovent, which works in a different way. I was using serevent 125 as a preventer inhaler which worked well for me until infection. I doubled the dose following my asthma plan, but it didn't help enough. Now I've been prescribed fostair as a preventer inhaler. The list of side effects are more alarming than my old one. Oh well I'll go along with it until I get my breathing sorted.

My paramedic son has sent me an oximeter and pulse reader( the thing they put on your finger). Not sure a good idea! I have to put it on when he contacts me on FaceTime! Well it does show things are not right, but I do feel better in myself today. It's good to be home.

Ju Ju

« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2016, 10:13:01 PM »

No I don't have COPD, but forstair is for asthma as well, according to the accompanying leaflet. I'm told to use it as a preventer inhaler 2 puffs twice a day, morning and night. Im to carry on with atriovent as a reliever. I'm not happy about the Forstair inhaler,  but I couldn't tell you why. I don't have enough info, but this is what I can discuss with my GP. Reading the accompanying leaflet alarmed me. I think discussion is needed when I am better. For example, my old inhalers worked well normally, and suited me, but obviously I need a more aggressive plan when I'm going downhill and be more assertive that we can't wait and see on conventional treatment. One of the GPs has already suggested this. I did have a gut feeling things were going downhill. I know there are risks with the adrenal glands with long term use of steroids. I actually had a test done on my cortisol levels 3 years ago, but all was well. Certainly something to discuss though. I suspect I will have to have several visits to the doctor, probably more blood work, so time to bring up concerns.

I'm sorry you haven't a proper home. I've lived here 30 years. Not pretty, yet I love it. I live in a lovely village and setting. When we arrived here all those years ago it welcomed me. I felt peace. I would wish that for everyone. You obviously live somewhere, somewhere to sleep? Just temporary?

cubagirl

« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2016, 10:34:03 PM »

Sorry to hear your asthma deteriorated into pneumonia. My tablet been playing up & posts not updating, heck knows why.

You need to take it easy Ju Ju. I didn't when I ended up with pneumonia. It was just before Christmas when I took it about 20 years ago now. I didn't want Christmas to be ruined because of me, so battled on. Even went on shopping trip with daughter because I'd promised her a shopping day in Glasgow. Back to work in the New Year & ended up back in hospital! Doctor told me off!

I'm now on Flutiform as a preventer, but still OK with salbutamol as reliever.

As for the loo, surely wouldn't take him long with a loo brush & some toilet duck! I was lucky daughter took care of cleaning when I was ill.

Annie0710

« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2016, 10:38:33 PM »

Juju Fostair is what I use and the only one that works during an attack

Did they give you a spacer ? It's too strong to use without one, otherwise it gives me the shakes for hours after

X

Ju Ju

« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2016, 06:02:12 AM »

Got muddled, but both atrovent and forstair can be used for both asthma and COPD.

My son tells me I'm not assertive enough! With DH and everyone else, which is fine, but not when it's to my detriment. I find being assertive and upfront exhausting. I'm more subtle. I get my way with DH. I know how to handle him! But when dealing with your health and needs, he's right. DH will be accompanying me to my next doctors appointment. He will ask questions.

Hi Cubagirl. I haven't heard of flutiform. I miss salbutamol and it's quick relief. I could do with it now. Atrovent takes longer, but not helping at the moment. I have no idea why it doesn't work anymore. Before I had the first episode of asthma and infection 4 years ago, I had rarely needed to use it for 20 years, so not due to overuse.

I will take heed and take it easy. DH says he's going to do more round the house. He does a lot for me in other ways, but not brilliant at housework. Normally that's fine. We'll muddle through. I don't understand why the washing machine flummoxes him though. If in doubt consult the manual, I say, but like many men he seems to be allergic to manuals! You have to laugh!

Annie, how do you get on with a Forstair inhaler? Do you use it as just a preventer inhaler as I've been told to or as a reliever as well? I do use it with an aero chamber as I did with the serevent and rinse my mouth etc to avoid oral thrush. I don't think I could use it without an aerochamber at the moment. Have you had any problems?

Menomale, I do sympathise that you are living in a confined space with someone so difficult to live with. Unfortunately, we don't choose our relatives do we? I find it helps to consider what their life experience has been. While abusive behaviour is never acceptable, it does help to understand that you are not the cause or you are not responsible for their behaviour. It is about them , not you. This can help you dealing with them. My DH has an extremely unpleasant brother, who was hostile right from when I met DH. We tolerated what we shouldn't have done, because we thought that was best, but one day he over stepped the mark and I won't ever let him through the door again, not that is likely to happen. DH had little to do with him for some years because he was so angry, but now has found his equilibrium and meets occasionally with a sense of humour and expecting nothing. Have you any alternatives you can explore?

Thank you for your posts and for helping me get through the night. I can't sleep as my breathing is compromised.....tight, irritated lungs. It's a long night.

Annie0710

« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2016, 06:32:47 AM »

Hi Juju

I was only diagnosed at 43 I think, many allergies that have been getting worse since peri started.

Started with brown and blue inhaler which relieved attacks but then it progressed to anywhere, anytime (initial allergen with asthma was our pets so attacks were just at home), so  that's when nurse tried me on Fostair as I needed a carrier bag to haul everything around ! Blue inhaler didn't seem as effective and realised Fostair was giving immediate relief each time . She said that use blue during anaphylaxis til I get to hospital but it didn't help at all last time, only Fostair did again

I use the chamber, I have to otherwise I get awful shakes for hours after.  I use 1pump (3 inhales) each morning and evening as preventative but also asthma is bad bedtime and morning so does the trick for both then same dose as and when attack happens, usually at least each evening, when out and about , in humid conditions, lots of triggers now so need it on me 24/7

Having not grown up with asthma everything was confusing to start with , many a time I'd say to OH I think the cat is crying somewhere and he'd say it's me wheezing !

I have yearly reviews and next one is next Friday actually and they call me each year for flu jab which all helps

My hope is they find me a good ALL in one inhaler without a spacer as nights out I still need a big(ish) handbag for epipens and inhalers Alone

We changed furnishings to leather and ripped out carpets for wooden floors which really helped too

Keep up your good recovery x

Ju Ju

« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2016, 06:59:53 AM »

Oh you are having a rough time!

As a child I suffered from numerous allergies. Allergy tests were all positive. The consultants comment was that if all the allergens were present at one time, I would blow up! We couldn't have pets, no one could smoke round me, my bedroom had to be uncarpeted, minimal furniture. I couldn't run. Medication was not effective then. I have memories of my poor Mum holding me firmly in her arms trying to spoon in a crushed Franol (disgusting taste) tablet mixed with jam, which I would promptly vomit up! As I have got older, I have become far less vunerable to allergens. Modern medicine and that now asthma patients are encouraged to self manage with support has enabled me to be fairly symptom free for years. Many people were unaware I was asthmatic, so it is upsetting that all this has happened recently. I'm now 62. Post menopausal. Menopause didn't appear to make things worse. Maybe getting older generally is the problem! Well I survived my childhood and many hours of not knowing how to take the next breath, so I'm going to get through this. Life's too good!

Annie0710

« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2016, 08:22:09 AM »

It's good you're managing yours well, our stories are in reverse.  No childhood allergies but developed severe latex allergy at 21

Mine all seems to be getting worse but manageable (well I consider it manageable, will see what nurse thinks next week)

When I had pneumonia doc sat me down and forewarned me that I could feel down once I'm up and about again given the length of time it took to recover.  It was especially hard as it came on a week before Xmas, my first grandchild was 12 weeks old and her and my daughter were moving out to live in their own home and the partner I was with at the time was useless , didn't fight my corner with Drs (I should've been hospitalised 'anywhere' where there was a bed vacancy) and the only food I got was mac Donald's every day , or toast

Wow just thinking back brings dark gloomy memories !

Onwards and upwards !

X

Ju Ju

« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2016, 06:42:52 PM »

Just been to the doctors with DH, as I have felt pretty rough today and paramedic son said I should! I felt I was going downhill, but now feel reassured. Saw a lovely doctor. He reassured me that this is par for the course. No one really explained about what to expect and how long recovery takes in hospital. He explained that my lungs have a severe injury and it will take 3 months before I feel healthy again. I think it would be helpful had someone explained things like to me before I came home. It also helps me plan ahead. My supervisor for the voluntary work I do has told my clients I won't be back till the end of January, which I thought rather extreme, so maybe not. She also said they didn't want to see anyone else and were happy to wait, which is so lovely. I've decided to postpone working towards my next singing grade and probably not starting lessons for a while. At least I know better what to expect. Meanwhile I shall train up DH to be a housewife......watch this space! He's cooking dinner!  :)

Annie0710

« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2016, 06:48:50 PM »

Aw bless you Juju

I was out of action for about 10 weeks, I felt so shaky and vulnerable when I was up and about again and what little fat I'd had prior just fell off me

It's really important you do this at your pace

Xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2016, 06:52:24 PM »

There really is no joined up thinking is there  :bang: ……… the so called 'experts' [how I HATE that word] don't put themselves into the patients' beds ……I always said that any medic should have 7 days/nights in an NHS bed B4 they qualify  ::)

Ju Ju

« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2016, 07:02:57 PM »

DH is looking after me now he has time. My son keeps contacting me. He has had an oximeter sent to me and facetimes me to check on the readings and thoroughly bossing me about from 3000 + miles away!

Yes I lost a few pounds, down to my ideal weight, but I'm a bit hungrier now. It helps to hear about your experience, Annie.

Just a bit ******* as I had a hysterectomy last year, the year before my gall bladder out, the year before, a chest infection that required a short hospital stay, and the year before that a chest infection not so serious. And I was planning on a healthy Christmas! Maybe next year?

I sometimes think they make an assumption that you know more than you do, clkd, because they are dealing with this day in, day out.

Annie0710

« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2016, 08:10:51 PM »

I wasn't kept in the loop either Juju

First my boss sent me, I thought I had flu and a cough, dr diagnosed bronchitis and gave me ABs, I was getting worse but kept trying to go into work , boss kept sending me home, ABs were giving me bad tummy cramps, in the end I think I spent £80-90 on prescriptions to get an AB that suited me, a few weeks in I was back saying I thought I had broken my collar bone sleeping wrong (I was sleeping so much) dr said it's pleurisy and sent me for X-ray, infections were in both lungs but bad in left.  I lost all bladder control from coughing so (this is yuk) used an old single duvet to sit on that if I leaked on it could be thrown

I lost Xmas, new year, weeks of my new granddaughter, missed them both moving into their own home then when I recovered my relationship ended , at the beginning I tried to rush the recovery but when the dr sat me down and explained how it'll take weeks before I felt well I realised I had to do it my pace

During those bedridden times there were moments where I understood patients who say they can't fight anymore and would rather slip away,  i'd reached those times on occasions , I've often wondered if I'd been hospitalised and given ABs by drip would I have recovered quicker ?
X
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6