Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Psoas muscle problems anyone?  (Read 5113 times)

Psoas muscle problems anyone?
« on: July 16, 2016, 06:11:07 PM »

My naprapath (similar to chiropractor) has "diagnosed" me with psoas issues. My pelvic area/hips tend to rotate (because of how they are pulled by tight muscles) forward on one side, I have some back, hip and leg pains. Even abdominal pains from this, I think.

Does anyone else here suffer from this? What do you do to feel better? I visit my naprapath every few months (I would go more often if I could afford it), take frequent hot baths, forever looking for excersises that will help me feel less tense.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Psoas muscle problems anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 06:23:42 PM »

As an orthopaedic secretary I don't recognise what a naprapath means and what he/she is supposed to have diagnosed!

PSOAS means what exactly?  Hips are supposed to rotate!!!! muscles over the pelvic area should be tight otherwise you wouldn't be able to stand up! 

I think your GP should arrange a pelvis to include hips, lower back and knees X-rays!!!! Self-ref to a physiotherapist or sports physio. would be my suggestion for qualified advice.

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 06:37:03 PM »

A naprapath deals more with soft tissue (muscles, ligaments, etc). In Sweden they are an established, licensed profession.

Yes, I have problems with my psoas muscles. They tend to cramp up and become too tight. Seems to be a fairly common problem when I google, so I  figured maybe someone here suffered from it too...

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 07:34:28 PM »

You didn't answer my question: are you able to explain PSOAS? 

Claireylou

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 07:42:17 PM »

CLKD I think the psoas muscles are in the lower lumbar region ...  :-\

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 08:50:59 PM »

You didn't answer my question: are you able to explain PSOAS?

Explain? The naprapath could explain, but at least I know roughly where it's located.... ;)  It's called "höftböjare" (which would be "hip flexor" in English, I guess). When this muscle becomes tight it affects me when I ride and it actually  - in turn - affects my horse too...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psoas_major_muscle

Edit: A licensed (by the government ) Swedish naprapath studies for 4 years and have to do work practice in hospitals. I would be no better, or worse off, contacting a physioterapeut....   
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 09:05:52 PM by 20032003 »

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 09:54:09 PM »

http://naprapater.se/en/about-naprapathy/

Does that help better than any alternatives 2003? I've had occasion to use an osteopath for lower back pain in the past. However, likewise it becomes expensive. Nowadays I get the odd Swedish massage at local spa, when my back is really bad.

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 11:18:47 PM »

Suzi Q

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 02:02:06 AM »

My naprapath (similar to chiropractor) has "diagnosed" me with psoas issues. My pelvic area/hips tend to rotate (because of how they are pulled by tight muscles) forward on one side, I have some back, hip and leg pains. Even abdominal pains from this, I think.

Does anyone else here suffer from this? What do you do to feel better? I visit my naprapath every few months (I would go more often if I could afford it), take frequent hot baths, forever looking for excersises that will help me feel less tense.
yes xxxxxxx

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 01:31:39 PM »

I have never heard of them - as an orthopaedic secretary it's not a terminology that I have encountered.

The horse being affected reminds me of an article I was reading this weekend, of course, can't remember where  ::) but she is teaching green horses and explained that the slightest sign of anxiety can spook a youngster so she teaches it to be calm and the horse teaches her.  As she said, 'if a horse can feel a fly' ……..