Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Sorry, it's me again.....feeling awful  (Read 15788 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Sorry, it's me again.....feeling awful
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2016, 02:26:00 PM »

Has your husband always been short on sympathy?  :beat:

You have anxiety surges, probably nothing more serious.  It is AWFUL.  You can take Propranolol and Citalopram together, I take 20mg of the former with 5mg AD at night and morning - I cut the former in half as I was getting headaches.  I also have an emergency anti-anxiety pill otherwise I wouldn't be here  :-\.  You can check if it's OK with your local Pharmacist, they have private rooms now, I use Lloyds often!

I suggest that you ring your Surgery and explain that you want something to help NOW, you really should not have to wait - insist that if the GP thinks you need an ECG she should have sent you to Hospital immediately so that the [probably normal] result would enable you to start the BBs: so she is probably fobbing you off.  It all costs the Surgery and this sounds down to money!

You should ask for a community psychiatric nurse to call at home so that you have support.  Your husband sounds as good as a chocolate T-pot. 

Not that I'm cynical.  As for your husband …… if mine had ever insinuated that I was a 'nuisance' or 'putting it on' he would have been out the door or I would have been off a Cliff! 

Keep venting! 

Halfpint

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2016, 02:27:24 PM »

Hi Jules,

I've been wondering how you are getting on. Well from reading lots of threads the last few days about different subjects, it is clear that one Dr says one thing and another Dr says something else. They are so annoying!

If I was you, I would believe the emergency Dr. I really believe it is the adrenaline and your anxiety. But, as my friend always says to me. Dr's have to rule everything out so that's maybe why your Dr wanted to check it was nothing medical just so you can then accept that it is the adrenaline and to be honest, it sounds like they should never have taken you off the BB's. I would do as the emergency Dr said or do you have to get a prescription for the BB's from your regular GP?

As for your husband. Well he does sound very similar to mine but mine is sort of behaving himself lately.  It used to be that if he shouted at me when I was panicking it would make me worse. I still think yours is like mine in that he is the way he is as really it's because he is worried but he can't show it and he thinks he needs to use 'tough love'. You really need to sit  him down and explain that being the way he is it is making you ten times worse and definitely not working.

I agree with the Dr that you probably need to reduce your working week. The fact you have to struggle through work is not helping you. I could not work full time with my anxiety, I would be in a right state!

Go back and read your second paragraph about seeing your own Dr. No matter how much she  frightened you, you then told her that you had the tests previous, you also know that your heart rate is usually high. You know that it's the anxiety. If this all started when you came off the BB's then I suggest you go back on them and see if it makes a difference. if not, then fine, your Dr needs to look into why but from the sounds of it all, it seems like you definitely need them.

Keep posting x

CLKD

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2016, 02:29:25 PM »

Trouble is, others can't feel what it's like if they have never had anxiety.  That is not an excuse for sending such text messages though, I see it as controlling and abusive!

coldethyl

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2016, 02:44:35 PM »

Sorry you are feeling so rubbish JJ. I know that your GP has probably scared you, but they are probably  just trying to help and have to look at every possibility , no matter how remote. Your body has been used to BBs dampening things down for so long that I think coming off them is a much more likely cause of your increased anxiety. I really don't think taking a Valium would have any effect were it anything more serious. I know how awful the adrenaline surges can be - I get them as part of my hot flushes sometimes and some women get them instead of the classic flushes. I think you've just worked yourself into such a pickle that your GP is exploring all angles to try and help you. If your ECG is ok then it may be worth trying the bbs again alongside a different antidepressant. It might be worth a referral to a psychiatrist who had more experience of the medications on offer than your GP. Some now add an anti-psychotic to the mix to help with intractable anxiety if an AD is not enough on its own. Get the tests out of the way and then you can make informed choice x

CLKD

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2016, 02:46:11 PM »

I don't think there should be a wait if the GP is concerned! because that's delaying the start of the calming down process. 

Maybe you ought to tell your husband that his comments and text messages are un-supportive, un-helpful and makes you feel a lot worse. ??  If he can't say something nice then keep Big Gob Shut?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 02:48:47 PM by CLKD »

coldethyl

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2016, 02:55:08 PM »

If your really worried about your heart rate, JJ, maybe pop to a and e or whatever is near you and ask them to do an ECG. I don't think your GP is concerned by your heart , but an ECG is pretty standard before prescribing BBS alongside a contraindicated anti- depressant.

Justjules

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2016, 03:17:05 PM »

Coldethyl, I am not so much worried about my heart as I only had an ecg in a&e at the back end of last year after taking myself off there with chest pain and all was okay, even though I do have health anxiety about it.  GP knows I have a high heart rate as she sent me for some tests years ago when I had a BB review just to check and again, saw the Cardiologist who said all was fine and to just stick with a low dose BB which I have for 15 odd years.  Our nearest a&e has just shut down which doesn't help.....the next one is 25 mins away - great when you suffer from anxiety!  GP said she wasn't worried about my heart, just doing it for reassurance for me I think is what she said - will check with numbskull husband tonight.  Body is now just calming down as usual at this time of the day - it is so weird but by the time I get home and start the evening meal, I'm fit for nothing.  Hasn't helped that work has been a nightmare today, we have a trial on tomorrow so I've had to photocopy 5 x 500 page files and typed Witness Statements so I'm drained.
x

coldethyl

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2016, 03:42:28 PM »

I think if you've been taking betablockers for 15 yrs, that you're bound to be experiencing adrenaline surges now you are off it. I'd be inclined to see what other ads you could take alongside it as I imagine that taking it would  be helpful but that if you are like me, the remote possibility of interaction with your ad is going to cause mental distress and physical symptoms .

Justjules

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2016, 06:03:18 PM »

Well of course according to the dr's you don't get side affects from coming off them, especially as my dose was supposedly very low  :-\ and yes, you're right, I would be worrying about interactions even though she said I had taken both together for over 15 years with no problems.

CLKD

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2016, 06:07:55 PM »

Where's Halfpint gone  :-\

Justjules

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2016, 07:18:36 PM »

She posted earlier....

CLKD

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2016, 09:52:58 PM »

I know - then vanished  :'( and I liked her Spirit.

How R U this evening?  If you are busy at work no wonder you have drained by the time you get home.  How has your husband been - maybe show him 'advice for husbands' ?

dangermouse

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2016, 11:34:03 PM »

You may then be having rebound tachycardia from stopping the beta blockers, it's a very common phenomena when you stop them suddenly after being on them for a while - you are meant to withdraw slowly. You should inform your GP if they don't know this and get back on them to withdraw slowly if you want/need to stop them.

Doctors eh! Perhaps your husband could do with some as well to calm him down.

Justjules

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2016, 07:50:51 AM »

CKLD, I was better last night as I usually am but then it's all kicked off again this morning by him indoors talking to me like he's a barrister and he takes anything I say absolutely literally so there's no reasoning with him so I needed a valium to get me out of the door to work...he wouldn't even read the advice for husbands if I put it in front of him....

Dangermouse, I am sure you are right - this is all because I stopped the betablockers but the Dr said the low dose I was on was more like a placebo - the duty dr gave me propranolol but I've been too scared to take them yet as they aren't the ones I was on before and I'm scared of side affects.

kpatton56

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2016, 07:56:15 AM »

So sorry you are having such a hard time. The fact that Valium helps speaks volumes. If you had a physical cause for these symptoms it wouldn't make any difference to them.
What dose is the propranolol? Xx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5