Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

twitter facebook instagram blogger

Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148

Author Topic: In or Out of Europe?  (Read 102500 times)

CLKD

Re: In or Out of Europe?
« Reply #2175 on: April 15, 2019, 12:04:07 PM »

Do keep up  ;D ...........
Changes can be scarey, even when we want them!

Katejo

« Reply #2176 on: April 15, 2019, 12:05:15 PM »

Do keep up  ;D ...........
Some of us are at work.....  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #2177 on: April 15, 2019, 12:05:55 PM »

What's that again  ;D  :whist:

I've been working: pulling weeds  :D and planning housework in my head.   ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #2178 on: April 15, 2019, 12:56:48 PM »

But the racists were scum of the earth before brexit not because of it
Yes but Brexit has given them an excuse to voice their opinions more.

Which is what I said too....

ENOUGH ? !  :P

Begin another thread perhaps? 

You keep saying this CLKD and also the comment about not being relevant - but it is extremely relevant to the topic which is why members are referring to it - far more in fact than the theft of snowdrops you reported earlier (the connection between that and Europe remains obscure unless I've missed something  :-\). I was trying to clear up the assumption made by some (not on this forum) that just because some A are included in group B, does not mean that all in group B are A re peas and vegetables!!! Another thread is not needed and you cannot determine what is discussed on it!

As for it (leaving the EU and discussions aorund it) being a first world problem and all coming out in the wash ( "The Wash" - The Fens?) - that is also not relevant. It is true that fortunately many (most?) of us in the west do not have to worry about basic needs as in the hierarchy of needs, and have evolved ever more complex systems of governance, trade etc - but nevertheless we have what we have and although keeping a sense of perspective is excellent, taking the fatalistic attitude that it will all work out whatever won't get us anywhere. It's good to know that if you (we) feel strongly about an issue you (we) can express that and even try to influence the outcome, provided it is legal! In fact we don't know for sure, but changes which affect standards of living through costs of basic goods and services - which may rise as a result of our leaving EU according to some predictions (so I have heard - I don't have the info but I'm sure Katejo or Shadyglade have) may well push some people further down that needs hierarchy into poverty or homelessness so that even though they are not waiting to be being rescued from a tin roof, the changes could have a real negative impact on their lives.

Hurdity x

Katejo

« Reply #2179 on: April 15, 2019, 01:13:17 PM »

But the racists were scum of the earth before brexit not because of it
Yes but Brexit has given them an excuse to voice their opinions more.

Which is what I said too....

ENOUGH ? !  :P

Begin another thread perhaps? 

You keep saying this CLKD and also the comment about not being relevant - but it is extremely relevant to the topic which is why members are referring to it - far more in fact than the theft of snowdrops you reported earlier (the connection between that and Europe remains obscure unless I've missed something  :-\). I was trying to clear up the assumption made by some (not on this forum) that just because some A are included in group B, does not mean that all in group B are A re peas and vegetables!!! Another thread is not needed and you cannot determine what is discussed on it!

As for it (leaving the EU and discussions aorund it) being a first world problem and all coming out in the wash ( "The Wash" - The Fens?) - that is also not relevant. It is true that fortunately many (most?) of us in the west do not have to worry about basic needs as in the hierarchy of needs, and have evolved ever more complex systems of governance, trade etc - but nevertheless we have what we have and although keeping a sense of perspective is excellent, taking the fatalistic attitude that it will all work out whatever won't get us anywhere. It's good to know that if you (we) feel strongly about an issue you (we) can express that and even try to influence the outcome, provided it is legal! In fact we don't know for sure, but changes which affect standards of living through costs of basic goods and services - which may rise as a result of our leaving EU according to some predictions (so I have heard - I don't have the info but I'm sure Katejo or Shadyglade have) may well push some people further down that needs hierarchy into poverty or homelessness so that even though they are not waiting to be being rescued from a tin roof, the changes could have a real negative impact on their lives.

Hurdity x
Thanks Hurdity   :) The expected rising cost of food and problems with availability of crucial drugs to  start with.

CLKD

« Reply #2180 on: April 15, 2019, 02:03:43 PM »

Hurdity - you missed something.   It will come out in The Wash.  Unless you know something ............

As the UK haven't been through this yet, most of what is suggested is supposition. 

Stellajane

« Reply #2181 on: April 15, 2019, 02:29:50 PM »

What happens when/if we leave is an unknown so we can only speculate.

What happens if we remain is known  - we've already living it - and many clearly aren't enjoying it, hence taking the opportunity to voice their opinion in the referendum.

Rightly or wrongly the vote gave the voiceless a chance to tell the world "I'm pee'd off with my life"!

CLKD

« Reply #2182 on: April 15, 2019, 02:31:21 PM »

I'm not peed off with my Life over-all but sometimes, those around me might benefit from :beat: :kick:   .......  ;)

Stellajane

« Reply #2183 on: April 15, 2019, 02:56:57 PM »

You can understand it though can't you?

I mean, imagine the situation. Your life's pretty rotten, then along comes this referendum. You start to think perhaps things might just change for the better if we got out, so you take a chance on it.

Sometimes I'm peed off.

Mostly its ok. The grandkids keep me smiling.

sheila99

« Reply #2184 on: April 15, 2019, 04:03:03 PM »

Perhaps it isn't the cost of food that should worry you but if there is any. We only produce 40% of it now, down from 60% 30 years ago. After the current round of house building and yet further immigration we will be down again - perhaps to 25 or 30%. We all know climate change is happening. Next time there's drought, flood or war do you think the exporting countries will feed their own population or ours? Then will you still think immigration producing a city the size of Birmingham every 3 years is a good thing? Though it may be our children who will suffer the consequences rather than us.

CLKD

« Reply #2185 on: April 15, 2019, 04:05:32 PM »

Why would we be out of food  :-\.  It may cost more but that is speculation.  Maybe ask the question of Nicholas at Vine House Farm via his web-site.  They sell bird seed grown on the Farm as well has hosting day trips to see how it all works.  I would go but it means I would have to book = high anxiety  :'( ....... they also grow products that go into the human food chain, i.e. chips  :D

It depends on where the UK will be buying our staples from.  What would you consider staples - another thread please  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #2186 on: April 15, 2019, 04:08:19 PM »

Not the 'W' word again  ;D  :whist: .... the country managed during WWII and were the healthiest for many years!  Maybe more should be digging up lawns to grow stuff ;-).  We have lots of veg., peas, beans but there's never enough for us  :-*.  No allotments here  >:(

sheila99

« Reply #2187 on: April 15, 2019, 04:48:33 PM »

I'm glad you mentioned the w word. The population was a fraction of what it is now, there was more agricultural land available but we still came extremely close to being unable to feed ourselves even with rationing. We wouldn't be able to now. The point of the post is that the human population is growing worldwide and we will see more catastrophic climate events that will wipe out harvests. If that happens in countries that export to us they will feed their own people not us.
  Maggie was the last pm who knew what it was like to be short of food. Her attitude to agriculture was noticeably different to those who have come since.

Stellajane

« Reply #2188 on: April 15, 2019, 05:30:06 PM »

Probably why my grandfather would only ever have a small lawn and flower border in any of his gardens, all the rest was all turned over to growing food. He had seen 2 wars!

CLKD

« Reply #2189 on: April 15, 2019, 05:59:00 PM »

My family has been making compost for over 100 years, it's the 1st thing we do when we move: build an appropriate place  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148