Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Back pain and mindfulness  (Read 3260 times)

blossom60

Back pain and mindfulness
« on: April 06, 2016, 09:53:52 AM »

Just picked up this link on my GPs website.  It looks really interesting and an example of 'mind over matter'.

Has anyone tried this, or something similar for back pain or for any chronic pain. 

It would be good to know if it really works??

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2016/03March/Pages/Mindfulness-may-be-effective-for-treating-low-back-pain.aspx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Back pain and mindfulness
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 03:44:04 PM »

Some anaesthetists run pain relief Clinics.  The important issue for back pain is to wear correct footwear! I watch ladies in particular waddling along with ill-fitting sandles etc. and want to explain why they should spend a little more on good shoes and leave the sandals for the beach  ::).

Sitting and bending correctly, carrying shopping bags evenly or invest in a 'shaley'-type trolley.  Gentle regular exercise helps keep the surrounding muscles doing what they are designed to do.  Biggest problem is that humans evolved upright  ::)!  Look at chimps, they rarely stand erect but tend to bend over.

countrybumpkin

Re: Back pain and mindfulness
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 11:29:43 AM »

Having a totally wrecked spine and wishing they could transplant nice new ones I am going to read the link with interest :)

John Sarno wrote a couple of books about mind causing back pain that are interesting.

Pain management courses are the same thing as well but its very hard to get on one as they are as rare as hens teeth ;D