Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Acupuncture?  (Read 12985 times)

Chi chi

Acupuncture?
« on: March 18, 2016, 01:21:02 PM »

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's had or is having acupuncture as I had a session yesterday. My reasons for trying it is that it worked very well for me a few years ago when I had sciatica, I'd been seeing a chiropractor for weeks but nothing was improving and after just one session of acupuncture it went!
Also my husband has been having it for insomnia/problems getting off and then not being able to get up in the morning. Since his second session he's been sleeping like a baby and also getting up around 7/8 easily!
I never thought to try it for any of my other issues until now. I told her my main problems are anxiety and low moods, daily headaches and my overactive bladder oh and my aches and pains.
I came away yesterday feeling quite good and optimistic, she also put some ear seeds on me, never even heard of them before.

blossom60

Re: Acupuncture?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 01:27:36 PM »

My mother-in-law used to have it for headaches and back pain. 

She swore by it and said it work better than any pain killer.

Chi chi

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 01:29:29 PM »

Sounds promising  :)

carol100

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 06:56:42 PM »

I had it a few months ago for anxiety and found that after the first session I felt quite good, I had another one a week later but felt quite different although she said that was to be expected. I decided to try reflexology as my mum had it with good results and I felt really good after the first session and even better after the second. I am going to keep at it as it has made me feel more positive. With acupunture you just lie there with not much interaction but in reflexology the therapist talks you through all areas of the body indicating where the imbalances are and working towards rebalancing them. That is my thoughts anyway. Hope it helps

Kate50

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 09:19:44 PM »

Had it for 20 years! And if you getting one that doesn't talk to you then they are not a very good one!
Used it for migraines back problems and all my hormonal stuff.  It helps with the latter but not a cure.  Also use homeopathy for over 17 years

Chi chi

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 09:33:26 PM »

I've got my 2nd appt next week, haven't felt any difference yet but early days I suppose  :)

SadLynda

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 12:58:16 PM »

Acupuncture was amazing for me, first went for sciatica which was cured.  Then I went for all my peri symptoms and really helped with those too, I had 6 treatments and felt better than I ever had.  Downside now is I cant afford to go, but wish I could.

Katejo

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 07:50:00 PM »

Acupuncture was amazing for me, first went for sciatica which was cured.  Then I went for all my peri symptoms and really helped with those too, I had 6 treatments and felt better than I ever had.  Downside now is I cant afford to go, but wish I could.

I tried it quite a long time ago. i forget exactly why but it didn't work for me. Things seemed better after the first session but i later decided that I had imagined it (or perhaps a placebo effect) because the next one didn't help. I'd be willing to pay for a course if I 'knew' that it would definitely work but I don't.

Kate50

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 04:40:07 AM »

Been having acupuncture for 20 years it can often get worse before it gets better!

SadLynda

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 06:33:52 PM »

Afraid I dont hold much faith in NHS acupuncture.  The guy I go to is traditionally trained which from what I have read from others experiences seems to make a lot of difference to your results.

Chi chi

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 06:43:58 PM »

How do you mean "tradionally" trained?
I've had 2 sessions now, still not feeling any different yet  :-\ I feel good straight after but then back to normal the next day.
I didn't realise there is Chinese and Japanese acupuncture? Hubby has Japanese but mine is Chinese

Kate50

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 06:57:50 PM »

There is a big difference in the way acupuncture can be given.  The older trained ones seem to be the most knowledgeable I have TCM and 5 element acupuncture.  The latter for me works better in the emotional level

star-mam

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 09:03:56 PM »

My mum had auricular acupuncture for hot flushes caused by breast cancer treatment. She said it worked really well and the flushes stopped :)

Lizab

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 03:43:44 AM »

Chi chi, I'm curious to know if you have kept on with the acupuncture and did it help? There is a Chinese medicine school nearby that offers free treatment administered by final year students. I have thought of trying it but haven't gathered the nerve yet.

Chi chi

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 10:53:45 AM »

Unfortunately I gave up on the acupuncture, maybe I should have given it more than 4 sessions?? I just didn't feel any improvement at all and at £40 per session  :-\ I need something more quick acting so I'm now thinking of trying homeopathy.
Hubby still goes for his acupuncture though and it's still helping with his sleep 👍🏽
Pages: [1] 2 3