Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Newbie! on Tridestra - terrible periods  (Read 3627 times)

perimandy

Newbie! on Tridestra - terrible periods
« on: February 26, 2016, 07:01:14 PM »

Hello, I'm new here.  I've got lots of questions about all this and hope someone can help.

I'm 49 and had 6 months on Elleste which worked quite well apart from poor sleep on the green tablets, and terrible period pain.  I'm not sure that the period pain is due to the HRT, they had been getting worse before the HRT anyway.  I had bad night sweats and vaginal dryness and that's why I started on the HRT in the first place.

The best thing about the HRT has been that the oestrogen cures my mild anxiety and depression while I'm just on the white ones!!! I've had that for years, and a definite worsening for 2/3 years before the HRT.  this has been a revelation, it is lovely to feel normal in that way.

Anyway, (sorry I am a bit long-winded!) because of the terrible period pain, my gp then prescribed Tridestra so the theory is I just have a bleed ever 13 weeks and I get 10 weeks of oestrogen.  It sounded so perfect!  So, I'm just finishing my first 3 month pack.  I've had 3 periods so it hasn't stopped them (yet? should I give it 3 more months?).  Periods are very clotted and very painful, bowel and back seem to be involved as well.  I've also had a bad migraine last 2 days (do you think that is the placebo beige tablets?), and was very tearful at work on Friday so didn't stay.  I wonder if this is the withdrawal from the oestrogen?

I've been to the gp today who has prescribed tablets for migraine and period pain.  I've had an idea which is mirena coil plus pure oestrogen would that be an option?  that way I wouldn't have to suffer the periods?  I didn't mention that to the gp. 

thanks all, it's nice to be here.  Would love to hear your ideas, or just to say hello
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Newbie! on Tridestra - terrible periods
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 07:11:30 PM »

Period pain is awful.  I suffered for years, The Pill eased symptoms.   Some days I was unable to function and the clotting was embarrassing  :-\

:welcomemm: I am sure that someone taking HRT will be along with advice.

perimandy

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 07:25:59 PM »

the clotting is awful isn't it? That sudden gush... and rush to the loo.   On the whole the flow is manageable, it's the pain, it makes me feel so ill, and i'm usually so healthy I'm not used to it!

Thanks CLKD  :)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 08:29:21 AM »

Are you still peri meno perimandy - it sounds to me as though your womb lining is building up too much and this would cause issues.  Mirena with oestrogen would be a good idea,  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 08:20:50 AM »

Hi perimandy

:welcomemm: from me too.

As Dancinggirl says it sounds like you are still peri-menopausal, hence the periods. What were your periods doing before you started the Tridestra? It is really only suitable for those in late peri-menopause ie very infrequent periods.

Also I hadn't realised until you mentioned that there is a placebo week on these tablets - smilar to the contraceptive pill. Your headache could be due either to sudden drop in oestrogen or the usual pmt progesterone withdrawal headache.

Your own idea of a Mirena coil with added oestrogen (preferaby patch or gel) sounds like the way to go as your periods would me much lighter and depending where you are in menopause - may disappear altogether  - even if you are not yet actually at menopause.

I would go back to the doc and ask for this if I were you, so that you don't have such pain and discomfort.

Hurdity x