Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: 'Unhappy Child, Unhealthy Adult' - radio programme  (Read 4842 times)

Ju Ju

'Unhappy Child, Unhealthy Adult' - radio programme
« on: February 15, 2016, 09:20:56 PM »

Radio programme at 11.00am, Radio 4. Repeated next Monday at 9pm.

Looks interesting and something discussed on the forum.

In the Radoi Times, it says......

'Geoff Watts looks at the growing body of evidence that reveals how adverse childhood experiences contribute to poor health and shorter lives. He visits a GP practice that is about to trial the novel idea of health professionals routinely asking patients about traumatic events in their childhoods.'

countrybumpkin

Re: 'Unhappy Child, Unhealthy Adult' - radio programme
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 10:33:04 PM »

I am totally convinced!  I also read that a seveely stressed mother to be will produce children with anxiety issues that will stay into adulthood and once again I am convinced as both these scenarios apply to me >:(

babyjane

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 09:57:12 AM »

Yes, I also agree and am currently having psychotherapy for childhood issues.

Galadriel

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 10:19:26 AM »

Me too! :-\

countrybumpkin

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 10:39:00 AM »

Some medical person once said and I am probably quoting this wrong but intention is right

Show me the child of 7 and I will show you the man ( in days before political correctness!)

I think this is totally true as the child I was at 7 is basically who I am now at 54.  At 7 I was terrified of being left alone, anxious and worried about people dying - not much different now ::)

coldethyl

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 11:47:10 AM »

I think it's a combination of exposure at early age to cortisol, genetic predisposition to react physiologically to stress and of course learnt behaviour. My mum had agoraphobia when I was little so I was looked after a lot by my very controlling but anxiety riddled granny. No wonder I developed OCD after my son was born. He also has OCD. My therapist was telling me recently that there is more evidence for OCD being a physical wiring problem which makes some sense, though I remain convinced that it only gets switched on by life experiences.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 12:37:43 PM »

:thankyou:

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 02:25:09 PM »

My mum caused my OCD issues. However, they slowly dispersed after having our daughter. Still have a bit. Daughter has OCD issues. I've told her to chill more. I think it's a mixture of nature & nurture.

Winterose

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 03:59:55 PM »

I heard it , made a lot of sense, makes you worry for all those children affected by rising divorce rates, stressed out working parents etc etc, but good if we can start understanding the affect it has on us and how to help or get help.

Artmouse

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 09:51:53 PM »

I really wanted to listen to this but missed it, will try catch up online or next Monday.