Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Living with Manic Depression (last night)  (Read 4039 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Living with Manic Depression (last night)
« on: February 16, 2016, 12:41:59 PM »

Whist I feel that this programme tried to shove too much info at the viewer and whilst I feel that people who live with the effects of depressive illness, it was good to see the subject aired.

However, cynic that I am: did the Government of the day offer more money for mental health services due to the programme going out last night and where is this money being grabbed from?  It certainly is un-likely to be 'new' money but taken from other parts of the NHS Budget  :-\ (in the same way as language lessons for migrants is being filched from another part of the Education Budget).

It was interesting to me that when Fiona Bruce interviewed the PM he suggested that people suffering from mental health issues should see a therapist within 2 weeks.  Maybe he ought to begin with being able to see a GP within 2 weeks???? and where are these 'therapists' are likely to spring from  :-\ …………  :sigh:

I did suggest to Himself who watched with me that I ought to g back to work  ::)

Does anyone know of anyone interviewed in relation to this programme?  I wonder where opinions are cherry picked from?

CLKD

Re: Living with Manic Depression (last night)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 02:42:28 PM »

Have noticed that there are several programmes this week dedicated to various mental health issues - PND this evening.

babyjane

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 03:00:36 PM »

I was particularly touched by Stephen's realisation that he has to look after himself and minimise his stress. I felt he was speaking for all of us, not just those with severe mental illness.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 04:49:33 PM »

I think too that sufferers need to learn to 'listen' to those around them.  Himself can tell when I'm becoming obsessed and will say 'listen to me' …….. because I tend to follow the same routes to destruction  ::).   Now that I listen more I can slow down which helps both of us.

I wonder how Stephen will react though - his Psychiatrist stated that episodes of mania become closer as we age  :'(

countrybumpkin

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 05:22:59 PM »

My health authority has what is being trumped as self referral for mental health problems and you get seen by a "therapist" within 3 weeks if deemed non urgent. Seems great on paper BUT having had therapy in the past from medically qualified people and also cbt when I tried out this wonderful system I found the "therapist" was what I would call a basic trained counsellor doing cbt. She really hadn't a clue and it became very apparent that I knew a whole lot more than she did.  AFter 3 weeks she actually said " you are much more qualified in this than I am".  She had been literally following a script and if she was asked any question she could not answer.
So my health authority can brag about their accessible mental health treatment but its actually very like the nhs111 call handler who is not medically trained just following a script.  But you can see one in 3 weeks!

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 09:06:21 PM »

Our Council are apparently having 'invited' discussions with a mental health Doctor at 8 sessions across the County.   I have yet to receive my 'invite' and only found out by chance that they are holding these sessions.  I was reporting faults in the local roads and happened along the info.  >:(

No joined up thinking there then - surely the GPs should have been advised and then suggested to patients that they might like to attend?

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 09:49:53 AM »

I got what countrybumpkin describes but CBT was too simplistic and didn't go deep enough the counsellor said.  She referred me to a counsellor for more in depth counselling but it was 25 miles away and only did evening appointments which I can not manage. I found a counsellor myself and we negotiated a mutually agreeable fee.

so the 'system' did offer me what it said but in the end it didn't work for me and I had to sort it out myself but I didn't have to wait long for the initial process to begin.

Dyan

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 01:15:29 PM »

Recorded that and the PND one so will watch them later.
Did anyone see the news last night on the brain & mental health?

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 03:54:31 PM »

Nope.  We were at an auction.  Unlikely to be on catch up?

>wave Dyan<

Dyan

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 07:17:17 PM »

>wave< CLKD.
Watched the programme this after. Good, I thought.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 08:17:39 PM »

I need to catch up with the mental health programmes later!