Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A message of hope  (Read 62895 times)

widget49

A message of hope
« on: January 26, 2016, 10:11:42 AM »

Hi ladies.

I posted on here a few times, around 4 or 5 years ago. I was described as post menopausal at the age of 38. It was truly shocking at the time. I was single, lonely and childless, and basically went to pieces. I felt like a failure, lost all sense of femininity and slumped into a deep depression. I barely slept and every day was a sweaty, upsetting slog. Then I found out I already had osteoporosis. Life was over as far as I could see.

The support and understanding shown by the ladies on this forum was wonderful. It helped me get through bad days. That said, I had a hard time in feeling I was way to young to be having those discussions.

I just wanted to reflect on how I felt then, compared to where I am now. After a lot of juggling with medication, my mood stabilised, flushes reduced, I started getting better sleep and had the confidence to gain promotion at work. The best part is I started dating and met the most wonderful man, who I now live with. We have cats rather than babies, but I'm at peace with that now. I've gotten fit and life is better than ever.

I just wanted to share a positive story, as I know that some of you won't be able to see light at the end of the tunnel just now. Hang in there, be good to yourselves and take support   from those who love you.

Wishing you all the best of health

Lynne xx

SadLynda

Re: A message of hope
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 11:17:39 AM »

What a wonderful post.  Thank you so much for sharing.

Really pleased you got a life back and are now happy :foryou:

limpy

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 11:54:54 AM »

Widget - What a lovely happy story.
I'm so pleased for you.
Thank you so much for posting it.

:thankyou: :cancan: :cat88:

dazned

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 12:05:55 PM »

That's great to hear !  :)

What medication regime worked/helped you ?

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 12:43:34 PM »

Wonderful post! Thank you!

coldethyl

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 12:45:26 PM »

Thanks for posting. I think we all need to hear a message of hope some days. So glad things are on the up for you xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 12:47:29 PM »

:thankyou: 4 the up-date!

widget49

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 12:53:33 PM »

Thanks all for your kind words.

I take HRT, 2mg of Climagest and Citalopram, an anti depressant. I dropped the dose of Citalopram last year, but I'm not in a hurry to stop altogether. I also take iron now, as I had a tendency towards anaemia.

A few other things have helped. I ditched the duvet for a light blanket. I started taking proper exercise and took up gardening which I absolutely love, my energy levels and peace of mind are much better. Fresh air is good for the soul! I also had some counselling, which helped me talk through the sadness of not being anyone's Mum. I'm a good Aunty though and that's a lot better than nothing. I don't feel I need to apologise for that now, in spite of the odd thoughtless comment.

Above all, I became more open and honest with a few close people rather than isolating myself from friends like I had done before. Having people to catch you when you fall is important, and I appreciate that every day. Asking for help doesn't make you weak.

I still have the odd wobble, but who doesn't? :-)

dazned

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 12:57:30 PM »

So good to hear what works for you and as you say dont be in a hurry to change what works ,if it aint broke...... ;)
Better weather soon be here for your blooming garden  :)

Dorothy

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 03:51:59 PM »

Thanks so much for posting this - your 'before' description could have been written about me.  It's so encouraging to hear there is light at the end of the tunnel...and it's not from an approaching train  ;D

babyjane

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 05:57:21 PM »

Asking for help doesn't make you weak.

thank you for saying this, I am learning this only now and said it to a good friend and neighbour only today.  Trying to be strong for too long has made me ill and I am having to be honest and reinvent myself.  It is hard and painful and will not happen overnight but your timely post has given me cause to smile so thank you  :)

widget49

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 06:09:10 PM »

Such lovely ladies on here.
Sorry to hear you're struggling Babyjane. Being honest with ourselves and others is so important. Don't see it as reinventing yourself, that can sound scary and overwhelming. Small, gradual change is best I think. Baby steps so to speak.

And Dorothy, stay away from trains unless you're using it to ride through the tunnel :-)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 12:32:17 PM »

"Unto thine own self be true"  ;)

babyjane

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 02:52:59 PM »

thank you widget, perhaps reinventing was the wrong word but the old me was no good for me and as I come to understand better what made me the person I was, I think things will improve.
Suffice to say it was the menopause that brought all this to a head and I am finding it very helpful to be able to lay it down to people who understand  :hug:

Kathleen

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 04:13:10 PM »

Hello widget.

I would also like to thank you for your inspirational messages.

Your comments reminded me of a friend of my mother's who was an ' Auntie' to me. She was lovely and took a special interest in me which was wonderful. I think these sort of relationships can be so life enhancing for all concerned and I hope that being a good Auntie brings you joy.

Wishing you well and take care.

K.
Pages: [1] 2 3